BSNL Fiber router query

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Is there any rule which says that a consumer must use the router provided for by BSNL? Because the BSNL in my region insists that we need to take the one provided by them. How good are the routers provided by them?
Anyone who has any experience with BSNL/MTNL please share them. Will apply for subscription tomorrow.
And assuming the plan is 50mbps won't a router with 150mbps limit do? Or are the router for fiber and domestic telephone line different?

Edit: they are charging 3000rs for the router. I have no idea how they even look like.

Last edited:
The issue is their technicians/ engineers don't have expertise/ care about configuring/ trouble shooting every/ any other router. Hence they specifically tell you to buy one type of router. I've faced this issue. Even if you force them to use your router if there is any issue with the net first thing they'll ask is to change router to their spec even before the start troubleshooting. You can't win this, or trust your luck and troubleshooting skills

The issue is their technicians/ engineers don't have expertise/ care about configuring/ trouble shooting every/ any other router. Hence they specifically tell you to buy one type of router. I've faced this issue. Even if you force them to use your router if there is any issue with the net first thing they'll ask is to change router to their spec even before the start troubleshooting. You can't win this, or trust your luck and troubleshooting skills
That sucks. Are you using their fiber service right now? How are their routers?
@vivek.krishnan hello saar can you help out?

Can you post a picture of the bsnl router? I want to see if they use the same one all over the country.

No problem. I can wait. I went to the office and they told me to come later.
Post automatically merged:

I just returned from the BSNL office. Some areas in my state aren't handled directly by BSNL themselves. The location which I'm applying for right now is managed by a third-party contracted by BSNL.
Also I saw the router. It has a "GPON" branding. It didn't look any different from standard routers of other brands. Any one familiar with this company or it's products?
They also increased the price of the router. The initial total cost for all was 4500rs. Now it's 5300rs. They didn't break down the cost but said it's due to the unavailability of products and said I will get the bill for all. I'm gonna take my TPlink router to them and ask them about it.

Last edited:
GPON is a fiber based technology and finding a fiber router from well know good brand is difficult and expensive ,stick with it
Post automatically merged:

if you feel wifi range in not good connect bsnl and your tp-links lan port for wifi and disable wifi radio of bsnl router

GPON is a fiber based technology and finding a fiber router from well know good brand is difficult and expensive ,stick with it
So I should go ahead and take the GPON router? Can you tell me how it is any different from other "standard" routers? The only thing which I found out is an "ONT."

BSNL provides FTTH in most areas via 3rd party providers. GPON/GePON is based on the type of switch they use. There are some differences. GPON is newer and better, but im on GePON and honestly there is no fault I could find.

At 5000 they are looting you. Plain and simple.

My provider took 3500 for installation that included the modem/router. Another one was quoting 4500 lol.
Even that was robbery since the fibre was already right in front of my house and the base routers without wifi cost 1300-1500 and 100 rs worth of wire. ( already have my own router, accesspoint etc. ). I switched off the wifi on it. At first it was dialing the connection. The I changed it to bridged mode cause these cheap chinese oem modems like Optilink, netlink, and most others cant handle heavy internet traffic. I turn on Torrents and it hangs in sometime. Plus they have a tonne of vulnerabilities. So i just use it as a media converter and let my R7000 do all the work. And its been a very smooth sailing since.

I suggest you ask them the model and company of the router they support and check for that in local market. If you dont want headache then just take what they give after bargaining.
GPON/GePON is totally different technology. Your copper based connections routers allow ethernet only. They dont have the hardware for using fibre optic cable. If your router is good, you can ask them to configure bridge mode so you dont have to rely on their shitty modem.

If I were to get a router on my own what would you recommend?
Is this good enough?
Btw you know even before signing up, when the office told me that they are giving the contract to a third party I thought there would be some shady shit somewhere. Looks like I'm going to be right about it. Trying to rip me off and all that saying the prices have increased when the office side clearly told me the router cost was 3000rs. I'll go to the bsnl office one last time tomorrow morning and see.

Last edited:
it totally depends, on the situation where BSNL will agree to configure third party router if not will you be able to configure your own router and on wireless front will you be happy with the range of router .If you have option of renting than rent for a month understand the settings and return it and get a router of your choice

If I were to get a router on my own what would you recommend?
Is this good enough?
Btw you know even before signing up, when the office told me that they are giving the contract to a third party I thought there would be some shady shit somewhere. Looks like I'm going to be right about it. Trying to rip me off and all that saying the prices have increased when the office side clearly told me the router cost was 3000rs. I'll go to the bsnl office one last time tomorrow morning and see.
Router & modem is different. What they give is modem + router. Take their or buy same from outside. Else it wont be worth the hassle. There is a lot of config that you have to do.

Looks like you already decided but just sharing my experience so that others also know how to handle BSNL. :yum:
Is there any rule which says that a consumer must use the router provided for by BSNL?
No, there is no such rule.
Because the BSNL in my region insists that we need to take the one provided by them.
They are trying to be over smart. It is upto you to buy from them or from outside.
How good are the routers provided by them?
The wifi range is average and I get a speed of 50 mbps via wifi. Speed via LAN cable is good which is again 50 mbps up and down in my case. My modem never hangs and it connects super fast. I haven't faced any problem with it so far other than the okayish wifi range.
Anyone who has any experience with BSNL/MTNL please share them. Will apply for subscription tomorrow.
It depends from area to area. In my area, which is a small town, BSNL is good. I consistently get a speed of 50 mbps up and down. Downtime is minimal because fiber net gets down only if the wire is broken or there is something wrong from back end. The wire broke once in last year because of a large govt building construction. It took a few days to get resolved because of the local SDO who was trying to be over smart and saying that I was responsible for the security of wire coming to my house. They finally fixed the wire in just one day after I messaged their General Manager. Back end problems get resolved in one day max. There were about 8-10 down times in last one year and most get resolved in a few hours.

BSNL charges one month advance bill as security deposit (It is without tax) and 500 security deposit for modem. The modem security deposit may change so check bsnl website for more details. There are no other installation charges by bsnl. These days BSNL is trying to hand over the fiber installation and maintenance to local vendors so the vendor may demand some installation charge. I pay 1100 per month. My plan is 50 mbps till 600 GB, 2 mbps beyond. 849 + modem rent + tax = 1100. Below screenshot is via VPN.
1.PNG

BSNL charges one month advance bill as security deposit (It is without tax) and 500 security deposit for modem. The modem security deposit may change so check bsnl website for more details. There are no other installation charges by bsnl. These days BSNL is trying to hand over the fiber installation and maintenance to local vendors so the vendor may demand some installation charge. I pay 1100 per month. My plan is 50 mbps till 600 GB, 2 mbps beyond. 849 + modem rent + tax = 1100.
Appreciate the reply man. If only the GM here was as competent as yours.
The installation charge they quoted seems to be legit. 500rs being charged officially. I don't know if the local vendor will charge again. Since I never submitted.
Also I've met two different private ISPs in the last two days. I found out today that they were both taking private sub/main lines from BSNL and rebranding them as their own. The one I came across today, their speed is lower but the fees are more. Whopping 6000rs for the first month. One of my neighbours who is a subscriber told me they charge premium for their "services."
Also if you're a BSNL consumer don't be surprised to get only 50% of your security deposit amount refunded. They did that to me. I enquired around and all I was told was "it was done by the system we cannot help it." It's f'd up.
Looking back at my history with ISP's I don't think I'll ever be fortunate enough to have a good experience. :(

The installation charge they quoted seems to be legit. 500rs being charged officially.
500 RS is charged only if you rent their modem otherwise there is only one month advance bill as security deposit.

Also if you're a BSNL consumer don't be surprised to get only 50% of your security deposit amount refunded. They did that to me. I enquired around and all I was told was "it was done by the system we cannot help it." It's f'd up.
It is a different game here in Himachal. Higher officials are generally good and lower level employees are hard working. It is only middle level guys, the JTO's SDO's etc are useless. I already got my old landline phone security deposit so no worries here but sometimes we have to fight with the billing guy. Back in ADSL days BSNL activated two plans simultaneously on my number so i got 25000 bill. The billing guy was initially reluctant to accept this shameless mistake still the matter resolved without contacting GM. I have a lot of stories with bsnl mostly because of their useless middle level guys.

Is there any rule which says that a consumer must use the router provided for by BSNL? Because the BSNL in my region insists that we need to take the one provided by them. How good are the routers provided by them?
And assuming the plan is 50mbps won't a router with 150mbps limit do? Or are the router for fiber and domestic telephone line different?

Edit: they are charging 3000rs for the router. I have no idea how they even look like.

Did you get fiber modem? Whats cheapest available options for bsnl fiber? Tp link website doesnt have such modems. And amazon is sh!t with stupid search results.

Back