Budget <18k Confusion on Intel/AMD PC !!

coolcowboy

Disciple
Budget <18k Confusion on Intel/AMD PC !! EDIT: Budget raised 22k

Hey guys,

I need to buy a desktop soon as my laptop's dead and the home pc is totally ancient. I would appreciate some help in deciding the configuration keeping in mind the following requirements. Thanks in advance.

1. Q. What is your budget?

a. 15-18k

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration?

a. CPU -Intel Pentium III 500MHz
b. Motherboard -Intel 810 chipset
c RAM -64+128mb
d. Monitor -Old HP desktop monitor
e. PSU - KC-235 ATX
f. Creative 2.1 speakers
g. A working/non working UPS.

(By the way how much should I expect this to sell for, if at all this would sell ?)

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping?

- Dont think I can keep anything from the above, except speakers.

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy?

Undecided between an AMD or Intel system. Intel would be a little expensive than AMD I suppose in terms of similar performance. After going through the August buying guide, I could get these specs for an AMD system, however, could not get details on an Intel system in the same price and performance bracket. Please suggest one and/or help fine tune them.

- Amd:

Amd Athlon II x3 445
Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2
Kingston 2Gb DDR III 1333 mhz
Dell 19" monitor
Seagate 500gb HDD 7200

- Intel:

Intel Core 2 Duo ??
Motherboard ??
Kingston 2Gb DDR III 1333 mhz
Dell 19" monitor
Seagate 500gb HDD 7200

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

a. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6-12 months

RAM, Graphics card.

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

a. Delhi
b. Online purchase
c. TE dealer

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
a. Yes, depending upon the condition.

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

a. Weekend home computer.
b. Browsing
c. Adobe Photoshop editing RAW images
d. Watching movies (might connect to an external LCD TV later)
e. Gaming (Microsoft flight simulator only)
f. Multi-tasking

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

a. Have had two bad experiences with AMD laptop motherboards, would prefer Intel over it if I get similar performance in the said price bracket.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

a. Hardly, only microsoft flight simulator.

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Gaming -1280x728 2. Desktop - 1024 x 768

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

a. No

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

a. Windows XP or 7.

^^ AMD A8-3850 ~ 6800/-

Gigabyte GA-A75-S2V ~ 5900/-

Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz 4GB x 1 ~ 1550/- [faster RAM speeds influence Llano IGP performance]

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ~ 1900/-

FSP Saga II 400W ~ 1900/-

Any local cabinet [minus SMPS] of your choice OR Cooler Master eLite 310 ~ 1500/-

Dell IN2030M ~ 6500/- [20" monitor with LED back-light]

Microsoft / Logitech Multimedia combo ~ 700/-

APC BR-650VA-IN ~ 2600/-

Altec Lansing BXR 1221 ~ 1100/-

Hope this helps Sire, Ceers!!

Thanks for the quick reply ALPHA17, however my budget does not permit me to buy the config that you suggested. Unfortunately, at this moment I can only spend about 18k on the pc with an option of upgrading later. Please re-suggest :)

Thank you.

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor AMD Athlon II X3 445 3400

Motherboard Asus M5A78L-M LE 2850

RAM Kingston 2GB DDRIII 1333MHz 700

HDD Seagate 500GB 7200.12 1950

GPU On Board Raedon HD3000 -

Monitor Dell 1920IN 4900

Cabinet Zebronics Cabby W/O PSU 700

PSU FSP saga II 350W 1500

Key Board Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 650

Mouse NA -

ODD Samsung 22X SATA DVD 950

Total 17600

Intel alternative is

Intel G620 ~ 3.3k (Its a Sandy Bridge Pentium and is very good performer)

Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3 ~ 3.3k

DarkAngel said:
Intel alternative is

Intel G620 ~ 3.3k (Its a Sandy Bridge Pentium and is very good performer)

Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3 ~ 3.3k

Thanks a lot DarkAngel,

Just a few questions:

1. Would the G620 be good enough for;

Photoshopping RAW images

Editing videos

Playing a game like MS Flight Simulator

Multi-tasking.

2. I should at max have the following devices connected to the computer, is a 350W FSP Saga PSU good enough for the juice or should I opt for a 400-500W one:

Apart from the default devices,

2 external hard drives

Maybe, just maybe in the future a handheld external controller for playing games.

Charging & syncing iPhone / Galaxy S, or both.

A webcam

I know my budget is limited, I also know that technology becomes obselete fairly quickly, so am wondering if I should increase my budget a bit for something that would last a few years.

Would it make more sense to buy an i3 based pc over this for the requirements above? I hope my questions dont sound like a noob. Thanks a ton again.

coolcowboy said:
Thanks a lot DarkAngel,

Just a few questions:

1. Would the G620 be good enough for;

Photoshopping RAW images

Editing videos

Playing a game like MS Flight Simulator

Multi-tasking.

2. I should at max have the following devices connected to the computer, is a 350W FSP Saga PSU good enough for the juice or should I opt for a 400-500W one:

Apart from the default devices,

2 external hard drives

Maybe, just maybe in the future a handheld external controller for playing games.

Charging & syncing iPhone / Galaxy S, or both.

A webcam

I know my budget is limited, I also know that technology becomes obselete fairly quickly, so am wondering if I should increase my budget a bit for something that would last a few years.

Would it make more sense to buy an i3 based pc over this for the requirements above? I hope my questions dont sound like a noob. Thanks a ton again.

it'd be wiser to go for the i3..although the G620 is newer, the i3 has much better performance..

& whichever you finally buy, don't forget to claim your free broadband connection & a 15page website..that's part of the Intel ongoing offer..

wooster said:
it'd be wiser to go for the i3..although the G620 is newer, the i3 has much better performance..

& whichever you finally buy, don't forget to claim your free broadband connection & a 15page website..that's part of the Intel ongoing offer..

Any links to the offer? could not find it on google!

Guys,

After a long and careful deliberation, and an increase in budget, I finally came up with the following configuration. Request your views and opinion on it. Please let me know in case you feel I need to make a few changes to the following lineup:
CPU: i3 2100 - 5.3k (Where to buy at this price, SMC has priced it at 6.2k, TheITwares at Rs.5875)
Mobo: GA-H61M-D2-B3 - 3.4k (Where to buy this from in Delhi?)
RAM : Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333mhz - Rs.1350 (from ebay.in)
HDD - Seagate 500gb 7200.12 - Rs.1950 (from Nehru Place)
Monitor: Dell IN2030M - Rs.5300 (From Letsbuy after coupon) TE Buying guide suggests Dell IN2020M, are they very different?)
Cabinet: Zebronics Bijli w/o psu - Rs.1100 (Where to buy?) Went to Nehru place, most dealers say they dont sell it without inbuilt PSU !!
PSU - FSP Saga II 400w - Rs.1950 (from TheITwares, although would prefer to buy from Delhi)
Keyboard/Mouse set - Rs.650
ODD - Samsung 22x SATA DVD - Rs.950

This config by the above mentioned prices costs me Rs. 21950, and I hope its worth the extra budget.
Thanks once again for all those who helped. :)

Finally bought an i3 rig:

CPU: i3 2100

Mobo: Intel DH67VR

RAM : Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333mhz

HDD - Seagate 500gb 7200.12

Cabinet: CM 310

PSU - CM 400w

Keyboard/Mouse - Microsoft wireless

ODD - Samsung 22x SATA DVD

Yet to buy a monitor, considering a Dell or Samsung. Can someone suggest a 20" LCD/LED preferably with HDMI around 5k ?

Thank you everyone for helping !

ditch the intel processors if you have such a low budget.. you are definitely much better off with an AMD processor.. with a higher frequency rather than the Intel..

check these out.. quite similarly priced like the Intel but definitely better performers.. once you buy these, you will feel lucky you didnt go for the intels..

http://www.flipkart.com/computers/components/processor/amd/itmd2rysfvdk8gsg?pid=psrd2ryrqssujvdj&_l=sQAdpMbziS0EZ_yHohYGtg--&_r=ZXZ08ZYry3UaLquSsspmRA--&ref=933e668b-278b-4ba5-be70-990ac38ad6a1

http://www.flipkart.com/computers/components/processor/amd/itmd2rysghw8rh8b?pid=psrd2ryr6nbqdfvg&_l=887LPGrMaWZdnlZ5gdV6ZQ--&_r=ZXZ08ZYry3UaLquSsspmRA--&ref=933e668b-278b-4ba5-be70-990ac38ad6a1

Sir op bought an intel i3 rig so there's no point in suggesting him an amd rig.
ditch the intel processors if you have such a low budget.. you are definitely much better off with an AMD processor.. with a higher frequency rather than the Intel..

check these out.. quite similarly priced like the Intel but definitely better performers.. once you buy these, you will feel lucky you didnt go for the intels..

http://www.flipkart....70-990ac38ad6a1

Giga herz don't matter so much in real life.

My Pentium G620 is 2.6Ghz, and earlier rig had Pentium4 3Ghz.

G620 is atleast 4-5 times faster than old P4!

Its the benchmarks and MIPS and FLOP figures that have any real life meaning.

In these benchmarks - for a processor - Intel's new series i3, pentiums etc score higher than AMD llanos or Athlons.

For games, yes Llanos are much better because of their graphics. But they are considerably more expensive than similar specd Intel processors.

Back