Budget 21-30k Budget PC for home video editing - 15K to 25K

OrrBitt

Recruit
  1. What is your budget?
    • 15K to 25K
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • I need help building a new PC. At present I'm using an old laptop with a 4th gen i5.
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell, 1920x1080 resolution
    • SATA SSD - Crucial MX500 500 GB
    • Keyboard and Mouse
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - need an Intel i5
    • Motherboard - don't know anything about MBs
    • RAM - 16 GB, 32 GB if possible
    • PSU - again, don't know anything here
    • Case - the cheaper the better, as I am on a budget
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    • NVME SSD
    • Possibly another stick of RAM if I currently get only 16 GB.
    • Maybe a dedicated graphics card in the future, but not sure - I know this will require a better PSU, but for the present build, please suggest a PSU that is required without a graphics card
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
  7. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing, watching HD movies
    • Some amount of video processing (see below)
    • Build Android custom ROM.
  8. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • I want to go for Intel CPU as I've never used AMD before, but I may choose AMD if it is cheaper
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • none
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1920x1080
  11. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  12. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Dual boot Windows and Linux
While the main use of this PC will be basic, like browsing, watching HD movies, etc., there are two other things that I want:

I have a lot of videos recorded on the phone, of family trips and all, and previously, I used Handbrake to convert some of those vids from x264 to x265 and noticed quite a bit of decrease in the file size. So video processing is one use for this new PC. But, I'm not a professional video editor or anything, and I don't want any really powerful hardware (in any case my budget does not permit it). Even my old Dell laptop with 4th gen i5 can convert those vids, but it takes a lot of time.

Also, I use custom ROMs on my phone and I want to build one myself. I've never done it before, one reason being it requires a lot of RAM, for e.g., the current Android version requires a minimum of 16 GB RAM.

I've read here on this forum that the current Intel processors, maybe the 13th and 14th gen, have some serious problems, so I think those have to be avoided, and in any case, they are above my budget.

I searched other threads in this section for PC building advice and came across this post by @Dushie :

He has mentioned a build that he recently assembled. I've searched for the current prices of the items he mentioned:

- CPU: Intel Core i5 12400F - 10K on Amazon, but F doesn't have iGPU, so either i5 12400 at 13K or i5 11400 at 11.5K or i5 10400 at 10.5K
- RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengance 3200 Mhz - 3.4K on Amazon
- Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H610M-E D4 Motherboard - 7.1K on Amazon, but older gen i5 has different socket?
- PSU (Power Supply Unit): Corsair CX 550W 80+ Bronze PSU - 4.6K

This comes to 28K with 12400 proc, and that too without the case.

So can anyone help out with the PC that I want to build, keeping it within 25K as much as possible?

Thanks.

Last edited:
My advice would be look for refurbished or used piece of hardware. You can get upto double the performance for same price. You can find cheap used ram and mobo + cpu combo but you will need to spend fair amount of time in researching that.

Here is a decent build for your needs.
Replace 3200G with 4600G from amazon
Get 2 Sticks of RAM instead of 1 (Mandatory)
This build should leave you with about 5K spare money.
Check its performance and see if it suffices what you want. If you need more performance, add a second hand GPU like RX570, 580, 10, 20 series Nvidia GPU and you should vastly greater transcoding and video editing performance.

Thanks @techmaestro and @vaibhavyagnik for your replies.

Following the above advice, here is what I think the PC will cost with a Ryzen processor:

Ryzen 5 4600G - 9K on Amazon
ASUS Prime B450M-A II - 7 to 7.5K, but OOS in Amazon and Flipkart
XPG ADATA GAMMIX D30 DDR4 8GB x 2 - 1.7K x 2 = 3.4K
DEEPCOOL MATREXX 30 - 2870 on mdcomputers
Antec Bronze Power Supply, CSK 550W 80+ Bronze Certified PSU - 3850 on mdcomputers, 3609 on computechstore.in
Total: 9K + 7K + 3.4K + 2.8K + 3.6K = 25800.

Get 2 Sticks of RAM instead of 1 (Mandatory)

Are two sticks mandatory only so that if one fails, the other will make the computer work, or is there some other reason?

Running two sticks of half the capacity is better than one stick of full capacity in terms of performance but you can also go with the route of buying one right now and second one later. Also do check for other stores like primeabgb, vedant, elitehub for prices. Amazon and Flipkart are generally high in price.
case: DEEPCOOL MATREXX 30 primeabgb - 2362 + shipping charges
mobo: ASUS Prime B450M-A II elitehub 6295

Last edited:
Ive recently completed a budget build related to yours. Il suggest following
Ryzen 3600 (around 6000/-) (was at steal deal on amazon recently) and it performs better than Ryzen 4600g.
Pair it with an old GTX1050 (which performs way better than Igp of 5600g too) (should be less than rs. 2500/- used)
Motherboard ive bought A520 which is really nice at 5000/- has a nvme slot.
Ddr4 consistent 8gb 3200mhz 1100/- x 2pcs
CORSAIR PSU 450w is more than enough. 4500/-
Cheap old 500/- cabinet with lots of fans maybe around 500/- more
Atleast Gen 3 ssd with read of 3000mb/s or more. Crucial P3 3300/- add this as boot drive and use for your video editing files. Much much faster than mx500 (its very old only 500mb/s) ive seen my 500mb/s ssd go on 100% usage many times with my ryzen 3600.

Last edited:
@techmaestro If the MB has only two ram slots, I'll have to buy a single 16gb stick so that I can add another 16gb later. Thanks for the links for the other sites, I'll definitely check out other sites before I make the purchase.

@sato1986 Ryzen 3600 has better performance than 4600g but it has no igpu, and I don't know where to get a second hand gpu. I've never bought second hand stuff before. The 520M motherboard you suggested is great. Only after comparing it with the 450M did I come to know that the 450M has no inbuilt wifi or bluetooth and adapters have to be bought separately.

I have two old computer cabinets lying around, one is of a P4 and the other is even older than that. As a temporary measure, can I use those or do these new motherboards require a newer kind of cabinet?

Back