CPU/Mobo Budget PC

the_new_guy

Disciple
Hi guys,

i Need to make some pc's( 4 or so) for my dads office and need some help on config

budget -20-25k
Lcd - 10k

so that leave about 10-15k

hd - 40gb (server storage so dont need much)
optical drive- none,

so what do u guys recommend, what config??? how much ram? what proc?? what mobo??
thanks in advance

Athlon 64 2800+ ~ 5,050

Asus K8V-MX ~ 2,950

Hynix 512 MB DDR400 ~ 2,100

Seagate 80 GB Hard Drive ~ 2,475

Floppy Drive ~ 280

Logitech Spill Resistant Keyboard ~ 270

Logitech USB Optical Mouse ~ 375

Altec Lansing AVS200 ~ 400

Case + PSU ~ 1,200

Total : 15,100

Try varying this about based on your needs.

- You can substitute a Sempron 64 2600+ in place of an A64 2800+ to bring the cost down by 2k. Performance hit should be around 5 ~ 10%

- I suggested the 80GB disk in lieu of the 40GB, cause there's a mere 200 buck difference between the two.

Since it is entry level and u have 15k left for the goodies,
here is what i think appropriate for your rig:

CPU : AMD Sempron 2600+ (754) = 2.8k
Mobo : Asus K8v-mx = 2.7k approx (onboard gfx and agp slot) or
Gigabyte K8V800M-L = 2.7k
ram: Transcend 256 mb ddr400 = 1.5k
Hdd : Seagate/samsung 40 gb pata = 2.25k
Fdd : 300 bucks.
Total : 9550/-

Cabinet,smps etc. : 1.5k-2k

hope that helps... :)

Yes crazy, A sempron 2500+ would be more suitable for office use and it would save about Rs.2500/- per m/c in the bargain.

@ caayotee , dont you think 256mb ram is too less to run XP given the small difference in price between 256mb and 512mb rams. ?

@deejay:
@ caayotee , dont you think 256mb ram is too less to run XP given the small difference in price between 256mb and 512mb rams. ?

Well..given the small price difference, its always good to go for more but i think that 256 mb isnt all too bad for xp and ms office....and since our dads are mostly using ms office for office work..i guess it shud suffice..

My sister is using oracle 9i on her dated 1.7 ghz p4 system running on a nondescript mobo and 256 mb of ram..i agree its a bit too slow at startup but otherwise, its just about okay.. so unless its memory hogging softwares like oracle, 256 shud be fine for xp..

but yeah i agree..the more..the better.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ yes the semprons are pretty formidable processors for the price and are good for almost everything but Gaming (Yes, even video conversions, as it does not happen in real time and you would typically step away frm your desk while that happens)

How about this

Option A

Low price & Low upgradeability

Since a typical office PC is not upgraded but replaced.

Socket A Sempron 2400- 2200/-

Ggabyte 7V400M- 2200/-

Hynix 512MB DDR333- 2000/-

Seagate 80 GB Hard Drive - 2475

Floppy Drive - 280/-

KB+Mouse: 500/-

Cabinet +PSU: 1000/-

Total- ~=10600/-

Option B

Slightly higher on price, but better possibilities of upgarding

Everything as above but replace Mobo + CPU with the below:

Sempron-64bit, socket 754 2500+: 2700/-

Mobo: Asus K8VMX: 2900/-

Total - ~11800/-

@the_new_guy- Crazy_eddy, Deejay, Chaos, switch, Quadmaster, ... and most of the members at TE are MY Gurus and i owe my pc and pc building knowledge to them!!
I second that a Sempron will absolutely suffice an office pc!!
But a Single 512MB DDr400 (instead of 256) stick will surely help!! Your dad should feel that the new pc is faster than the old one!! He he he...
80GB too. Price difference between 80 and 40 too low to ignore higher storage!! Also replacement if required will be easier a few months later!! 40 GB already a pain to replace i think!! Correct me all!!
PM Switch, maybe he can help with shopping details as he is from Delhi too!!
He surely helped me a lot online!!

Generally i do not post local prices since i do not have a clue about it. but recently i had to go to LR very frequently along with some TE members and here are the cost of components that we actually purchased.

1) AMD sempron 2500+ cpu, + Asus K8V-MX m/b = Rs.5,300/-
2) Hynix -D43 based OK quality,Cas 2.5 , 400 mhz, 512mb rams =Rs.1,965/- (had to change all 4 rams Quad, and get this one:) )
3)HDD 160gb barracuda 7.2K rpm (ide)=Rs.3700/-

NB: 80gb should be around Rs.2500. add about Rs.400 ~500 more for equivalent SATA Drives.

the machine will be running mandrake, the are not for guys with heavy usage, only for reception, and web update dudes,

my dad was think of

Intel 3Ghz+915g /256mb ram/40gb by eSys (26k)

so you guys say a good
AMD sempron 2400+-2800+/Asus K8v/512mb/80gb/keybord mouse

will this be better than or worse than the eSys, will it beat a cel based rig?

what company ram do you recommend hynic/transcend/ kingstone/ simmtronics ?

HD samsung/segate-maxtor/other?

Mouse keybord, which brand??

keyboard i was think of TVSE but that would up the price

thanks

Sempron 2500+ Socket 754

Asus K8v -mx

512 mb either Twinmos or Transcend memory ( purely for the 3 yrs warranty part )

80 gb PATA

That should be good enough for office rig, and should be cheap as hell as Deejay pointed out.

@superczar the performance diff between Socket A and Socket 754 proccies is pretty high, hence Socket A proccies are more or less out. The price also s more or less the same.

For HDD get either Samsung or Seagate ( i prefer Seagate ) purely for their proven after sales service. I dunno abt Hitachi's after sales service but Samsung and Seagate have a huge prescence in India hence I would stick with either of them.

For keyboard get Logitech or Microsoft, the tactile feel is a bonus if you type a lot.

Forget Intel based systems not worth the price, AMD is any day faster and cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
where in delhi should i buy?

i would like you to recommend a good dealer, with good prices and support?

i am a little out of touch with guys there since i shifted to mac.

which LCD?

i was think of gigabyte GD-1503BP/Acer AL512/BenQ FP51G

And the heat issue is another reason why you should not go for Intel. Most office PCs are not cleaned on a regular basis and if the dust buildup is too much, the Intel will start to overheat.

My dad's office had similar problems. They spent one whole week wondering why a few systems would shut down all of a sudden. I told my dad abt Intel overheating casually and the next day, they opened all the computers and cleaned them thoroughly and since then there have been no probs :p

Get a good MoBo though, and it should clock like hell ;)

Budget CPUs always do...Its something with the low cache that makes it easier to overclock.

the_new_guy said:
i have decided sempron 2400+, 2500+ or 2600+ depending on price.

will they out preform a P4?

It would have been better if you pointed out a particular P4 model to compare with.. i think tht a 2600+ sempron is your best bet as it would perform on par wid a 2.6ghz p4 if not outperform it.. plus sempron's pricing is the icing on the cake..:p
you could say tht a sempron is to Athlon what a celeron is to P4.. :D (huh..seems my CAT prep. is taking its toll on me..:S )

Back