Budget Phone for Normal Usage

Nokia Lumia 520 has been popping up on Amazon.in at 7k (10% less if you have Citibank CC) every few hours since last few days. If you don't find it, try again in couple of hours at amazon. Otherwise shopclues has it at 7.8k if you can't find it this way. It would be much better than an entry level droid.

Would be good if you could at least state a few of your expectations. I know you said normal usage. But with regard to screen size, what are you looking at? Are you ok with top tier brand with old gen specs? Or do you want the latest gen? Is it android only?

I ask cos there are quite a few phones available within your budget - even from Samsung, LG, Sony, Lenovo etc. My wife has a LG optimus one P500 bought more than 2.5 years back, & quite frankly it's still great for normal usage. Point being that you don't necessarily need the latest & greatest.

& yes, if the OS requirement is flexible, & the Lumia 520 is available at 7k, it'll be the best buy.... unless you compare with tier 2/3 brands. Avoid Indian companies if you can. (& I think you easily can because you only need normal usage). HTH.

Nah.. I don't need lumia.. I'm looking for android only.. Normal usage, as in, a huge variety of apps, a bit of gaming and mostly for internet browsing on my pc (connecting the phone through usb) and on phone too.... Whats the problem with indian companies?

^Yep. Pretty much sums up. & while some may argue that they are improving on points 1 & 2, No. 3 is still a huge issue.

You still haven't said whether you are ok with a smaller screen &/or older gen specs. For eg. you can get a Samsung Galaxy Trend for about Rs. 7.3k after discount, or a Lenovo a690, or a ZTE Blade C, or Huawei Ascend Y300 etc. etc. (if you are ok with last gen specs). One might debate that the latter brands are not top tier, but the general consensus is that they are far better than the Indian brands.

As for the usage, whether these specs are enough for gaming, it depends on what gaming you are into. These will run Temple Run & similar, but not Real Racing. (Iirc, a reviewer did show that the Galaxy Trend was fairly ok while running Dead Trigger - Just search geekyranjit on youtube). As for internet for PC via your phone, I really don't know & someone else should chime in about that.

Also, you could consider the Panasonic T11 if you're willing to stretch your budget & consider Panasonic to be a good brand. It's available for Rs. 8175 after discount on Indiatimes shopping. If gsmarena is to be believed, it's got great specs for the price. (But I'd cross check before confirming. It could be inaccurate) Edit: This video seems to confirm the specs.

Edit #2: & if you are still going for the Xolo a500s, it's available for 5.6k on Indiatimes after discount.

HTH. Cheers!

Last edited:
If Gaming is a priority, try getting a device with a gig of RAM, nothing beats that.

520 and the likes of Lumia - you will get only paid games and trials. Installing sideloaded apps is an issue too, I guess.

With Android - you can also get good games from humblebundle.com when an Android sale is on. Please note that you have to sideload them.

Galaxy core's 1.2ghz dual core vs. Lenovo p780 1.2ghz quad core, no way.. Even p780 got 8mp camera, unlike core's 5mp..[DOUBLEPOST=1382507116][/DOUBLEPOST]Leave it.. My budget is anyway under 6-6.5k

Good luck in finding in that budget.
Tip: If you want to play around apps and games then don't go below 1GB RAM, even if you have to increase your budget. You will regret later on this.

Back