Buffalo WHR-HP-G54

Shripad

ex-Mod
Well finally I decided to upgrade my router.
It was time to extend my wifi network and that demanded something better than the netgear which served me really well for last few months.
The primary reason to upgrade from netgear WGR614 was the range and power.
Mind you WGR614 will be more than enough for most and it covered my 2000sq feet apartment well, but with our property spread over large area and multiple floors, it was time to upgrade.
After lots of research, i spent some real big money and went in for WHR-HP-G54 ( i am still not ready to pay uber premium on draft N routers. ) at 4k this is not the cheap router and i was honestly not sure about its results. But trusting online reports, i jumped in and bought this. And this is 1 freakin amazing router.
Covers my entire building from where its placed. thats 2 floors up to the terrace and also on the parking area of my society. Now thats freakin awesome.
Anyway now i will shut up and post pics. The only real thing that left me little unsatisfied is the built quality. It feels too plastic. Netgear felt lot better and solid.

SharekhaN said:
congrats on this ... didnt Quad but the same one for a lot less ? or maybe i am confused ... :?

nah, different models.
His is WHR G54S. This is WHR-HP-G54.
This has better speed at longer ranges which was must in my case. With good wifi cards, this router can be heaven. Range is absolutely amazing.

Congrats boss.:hap2:

Do not be surprised if you see me and/or other people parked in your parking area.:rofl:

BTW, what is the speed of your triband connection now and how much does this let through?:p

Man i didnt knew this HP word would meach such a high range. hehehe.

Yeah Buffalo Wifi Routers roooooock.

Congrats on an awesome purchase.

I too was planning on this but since my range was just restricted to my flat
i am really satisfied with my WHR G54S.

Still cant believe that the range is covering 2 floors and upto ur parking , thats awesome.
Will suggest this to those who want high range routers.

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Congrats boss.:hap2:

Do not be surprised if you see me and/or other people parked in your parking area.:rofl:

BTW, what is the speed of your triband connection now and how much does this let through?:p

That wont help , as it supports WEP and WPA to encrypt the signals ;)
@Funky - I am thinking of the cantenna mod , will it help with the range.
Though the current antenna is more than sufficient for me.

Quad Master said:
That wont help , as it supports WEP and WPA to encrypt the signals ;)
You need a chill pill for sure if you thought i was serious.:eek:hyeah:
Same for anyone else who takes that remark seriously or thinks it's possible to leech off the signal.:p
I maybe a n00b but not a dickhead.:rofl:

BIKeINSTEIN said:
You need a chill pill for sure if you thought i was serious.:eek:hyeah:

Same for anyone else who takes that remark seriously or thinks it's possible to leech off the signal.:p
I maybe a n00b but not a dickhead.:rofl:

dude i was just kiddin , u took it seriously.

I know that you are not that lame.

hehe, 1 netgear shipped today to Edrill. that fellow transfered the money day before only :p. the other i am yet to remove, using it as a temp switch in hospital, will buy a wifi cards tomorrow and then i will remove the other WGR614 :p

Even i am surprised by the range of this router. With USB wifi card, it catches range till my society gate ( people were staring at me with weird faces probably thinking wtf this guy doing standing on the road with laptop in hand:ashamed: ).
The laptop built in wifi does not catch the range there but Buffalo WLI-U2-SG54HG it was catching signal even there. I bought 1 WLI-U2-SG54HG also for testing. very happy with it. will be getting some 1 more tomorrow.

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 - Congrats this is one hell of a good router

This is the one I also purchased for my new apartment, where I moved about 3 weeks ago. The signal is awesome, and with a high speed cable connection, a little tinkering with tcp optimizer, and dd-wrt, I can get 15500 kb/s over wireless. unf*%*ing believable :)

any ideas hows it compared to linksys routers?

I got one yesterday, the WRT54GS for $65.
Setting it up and securing it wa a breeze and havent faced any glitches (touchwood)

can u elaborate this a bit further.
yes :) Download tcp optimizer here and start it up, there is a a slider bar at the top to select your bandwidth (don't fake this but put in an accurate average of your speed, otherwise it will be detrimental to the settings) then select the optimize radio button at the bottom of the widow, and let the program do it's stuff. this will give you great speed improvements if you haven't already tweaked your connection yet.

Install DD-WRT open source firmware with a wired connection download dd-wrt here
and then go through the tutorials to configure .
DD_WRT is the most awesome open source firmware replace ment for your buffalo or linksys router (make sure you have a compatible model of router first)

i hope some good company does what Google did for San Francisco .

BTW :) Google didn't do it yet :( this has been going back and forth for a while, it sure would be nice to have wireless access anywhere in SF.

Hey does the Buffalo have any sort of load-balancing built in? For example, on my Netgear.. I often find that heavy wireless traffic swamps my connection and pages go to a crawl (of course its the blasted sibling on heavy download mode over wi-fi :mad: ).

Back