Budget 21-30k Build for 24/7 download rig

What is your budget?

• What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor
  • Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor AOC
  • Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
  • 1. CPU - AMD FX-6300 Rs.8340
    2. Mobo - MSI 970 Gaming Rs.8999
    3. RAM - 4GBx2 GSkill 1600MHz CL9 Rs.4025
    4. PSU - Corsair VS450 Rs.2300
    5. 128/256GB SSD - Rs.4000/5800
    6. GPU - Zotac GT610 Rs.3000
    7. Cabby - Any cheap cabby.
Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
  • Might add HDD later
  • Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore
    • Open to online purchase
  • Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • sure
  • What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • 24/7 utorrent downloading and 4k video playback
  • Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None as such
  • If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • N/A Gaming will be done on my gaming rig
  • What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • 1920 x 1080
  • Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes
  • Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
  • Windows 10
  • What troubles me is that in AMD APU like A10 reviews, saw that it stutters in playing 4k.
    This is something I do not want to happen. Hence chose Fx-6300. Not sure if this will handle 4k video playback.

Why not use Raspberry Pi 2 for the downloading and build a separate HTPC for watching videos.

Not sure for how long the raspberry Pi 2 would last in 24/7 usage.
I do not need a HTPC for only videos.
My main rig (i7 5930k with R9 290 CF based) is connected to my Amp and 4k TV. Hence that does all the gaming and video stuff.

This will be a secondary system that will be used for everything (web surfing, downloading, previewing random videos (FHD and 4k), etc), other than gaming.

Even these components which you have selected won't last long in 24 X 7 usage. You need enterprise level or server level components for 24/7 usage.

Torrents will reduce the life of ssd considerably should go for hard drive if huge writes are expected. Ssd can be boot drive and torrents and other installs to hard drive. And if you have a good router you can offload torrents to that also works good as headless unit.

Torrents will reduce the life of ssd considerably should go for hard drive if huge writes are expected. Ssd can be boot drive and torrents and other installs to hard drive. And if you have a good router you can offload torrents to that also works good as headless unit.
Torrents will be downloaded to a NAS.

• 1. CPU - Intel Core i3 4150 - 7800,
    2. Mobo - Gigabyte B85M-D3H - 5500,
    3. RAM - 4GBx2 GSkill 1600MHz CL9 - 4100,
    4. PSU - Antec VP450P - 2300,
    5. SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB -4500,
    6. GPU - Zotac GT610 - 3000,
    7. Cabby - Zebronics SPY II -1000.
  • TOTAL -28,200.

Intel NUC Kit NUC5CPYH - 9000 (braswell cpu) (review link - HERE) *supports hardware hvec decoding
8GB DDR3 1600mhz - 3000
SSD 850 EVO 120gb - 5000
-------------------------------------
17k - (go spend the rest on some food/ drinks)

For download rig Raspberry Pi or Odroid C1 is the best possible choice.
I have a seagate dockstar with an laptop sata HDD in a transcend casing running 24X7 as download rig for the last four years. No problem so far. A few days ago the power supply conked off and I just bought a new PSU. Occasionally if power fails I have run fsck to check the file system and system is up and running again. So no issues with running R Pi or odroid etc in 24X7 setup. Just get a good power supply. If you want you can attach a fan in the enclosure to keep it cool.
The best thing in addition to the cost is small size, fanless and low power consumption (10W). Within 6K you will get a system which measures <6inchX6inch, weighs <500gms, consumes <50W of power.

Back