Build our own 5.1 Speaker system

A few people I know bought some kind of speaker system locally. They call it a surround sound system. Is it possible to build one on our own? Is it better to buy a ready-to-own from Flipkart or Amazon? Thanks.

Not sure if you means build the actual speaker or the setup. But for a 5.1 home theatre there are 2 typical routes,
1) HTiB - HT in a box - full kit readymade and available for use from a single brand.

2) Buying Seperates - individually buying speakers and AVR.

Typically, #1 offers affordability #2 Offers better sound and customisation.

Additionally, some AV sites offer kits which mixes 1&2 for a best of both worlds 'kind-of' scenario.

Last edited:
A few people I know bought some kind of speaker system locally. They call it a surround sound system. Is it possible to build one on our own? Is it better to buy a ready-to-own from Flipkart or Amazon? Thanks.
It's the format decoder that makes a system a 5.1, 7.1, etc. You can get any speakers, however without a decoder for Dolby digital, dts, etc, it won't be a multi channel system.

MaSh.

You can get car speakers and car stereo system and run it from an battery adaptor. Naturally you need to make boxes for the speakers and MDF is readily available. I've made a stereo system this way but the speakers died off. The magnets are cheap and the cone material is cheap etc. These are good only for making loud noise, not quality. In these systems, usually the bass overpowers everything else.

Edit: it will always be better to buy from Flipkart/Amazon because those speakers come in smaller plastic or wooden boxes and are designed to sound good. Plus they have more variety of inputs.

I saw a Panasonic 5.1 system on Flipkart ~10k. Is it good enough?

Yes, I was talking about buying speakers individually and building a 5.1 system based on " some box ".

There were also some sub 4K options from Zebronics and Intex.

Whats your goal? Do you want quality or just loudness? What's the purpose of having 5.1? Is it movies or just casual song listening? If it's only listening to songs, then a 2.1 would do a great job too coz not a lot of streaming platform provide 5.1 audio format.. Also playing music from a 5.1 with all the speakers playing without any calibration is going to sound bad.. However if your need is for movies.. An avr would be your best bet. If budget doesn't permit, you can add two speakers first and then increase as you feel the need.

Buying speakers individually and building the box will require lot of precision, measurements, etc. Also, you will have the calculate the vol of the box, if it changes the frequency curve of the speaker, if so you will need to eq it accordingly..

There are various websites that can provide you with the measurements needed for your box based on the speaker.. You can Google it.

I saw a Panasonic 5.1 system on Flipkart ~10k. Is it good enough?

Yes, I was talking about buying speakers individually and building a 5.1 system based on " some box ".

There were also some sub 4K options from Zebronics and Intex.
Are you referring to Panasonic SC-HT550GW-K?

If yes, grab them eyes closed. They are brilliant. I am using this speaker set along with an OPPO 103D. Oppo is connected to my TV via ARC. The Oppo does all the decoding and the 5.1 analog output goes to the Panasonic speakers. The output is way better than any basic HTIB system.

These speakers do not have a built in decoder. So if you have an external decoder then these speakers are perfect.

On the other hand, in case you do not have a decoder or a HT receiver, you can even consider Logitech Z906 which has a built in Decoder. You just need to feed a digital signal to it from TV or set top box or a CD player and you are Done.

MaSh

Thanks for the replies. I have a Mi TV 4A 43 inch, and a Mi Soundbar. While Mi soundbar is neat for movies, I sometimes think that lacking subwoofer matters.

Is it movies

Yes, mostly movies. Sometimes TV shows.

An avr would be your best bet.

I do not know much about audio hardware. Can you tell me about it? Where to buy, how much it will cost?

I think yes. Will it be an upgrade over a Mi soundbar?

These speakers do not have a built in decoder. So if you have an external decoder then these speakers are perfect.

Which one, and where to get one?

in case you do not have a decoder or a HT receiver,

I do not know much about these. My output is from Mi TV.

I think yes. Will it be an upgrade over a Mi soundbar?

Which one, and where to get one?

I do not know much about these. My output is from Mi TV.
Check out the Logitech speakers i mentioned in my post above. That's a one stop solution for everything you need within your budget.

You could go for a receiver from marantz, denon, Yamaha etc along with passive speakers and a woofer, which would definitely breach your budget.

MaSh

Back