Buy Galaxy Nexus or wait?- For something big(SGS3)?

After i lost my galaxy spica, i almost bought the Galaxy s2 and when i was looking around for reviews i changed my mind and decided to wait for the Galaxy nexus, After i read about the confirmed specs of the Nexus prime it got me wondering if the galaxy nexus is a major upgrade over the galaxy s2, Defenitely not, The nexus prime can only show off its high-def screen and slightly better gfx and procy.

Last december, the Nexus S was believed to be a successor of Galaxy S which has almost the same hardware as that of the Nexus S, and soon after the Nexus S release, the galaxy s2 was released and it was a major upgrade from the single core phones.

I am a kind of a person who doesn't like upgrading phones too often(read-6 months) so is it a good idea to wait for something big from samsung? May be the galaxy s3 with the recently announced exynos 2ghz chipset?
Or does it make sense to buy the Nexus prime and exchange it for a better phone later by loosing a few grands?

P.S- I currently use Nokia 1600 and when i take it out of my pocket, my friends laugh like this :rofl:

Well both gs2 and galaxy nexus are keeper phones. They have very similar chipsets with former actually being a bit better. Also if you want to buy a phone to show off, the hd screen on nexus or motorola razr might be a better idea. No sense waiting anyway as every 6 months they will have new flagship coming. Gs2 is actually value for money if you can say something like that for a phone that costs same as full sized notebooks.

I think you should wait for a better phone as you yourself said that galaxy nexus has nothing special apart from Display and slightly better gpu, lot of high-end phones are going to come in 2012 with ICS 4...

^^ My next phone would be a Samsung for sure, How long do you think a next high end samsung phone would take to launch?

@aka911:I was even considering of buying the prime soon after its release and sell it when the quad monsters hit the market. How about that?

cooldude_007 said:
^^ My next phone would be a Samsung for sure, How long do you think a next high end samsung phone would take to launch?

@aka911:I was even considering of buying the prime soon after its release and sell it when the quad monsters hit the market. How about that?

You will take a hit of around 10k.

I'm in same dilemma, but I have Spica with me :D ... S3 is roughly 6 months away if we consider S2 which was launched around May11 ... The options I've thought for now are,

# Get mid range phone ~ 15k something like SE Neo till the quad core phones hits the market...

# Get Samsung Note for now and forget about upgrade for 2 years ... Catch here is Indian Note dont have NFC and within 2 years I guess it'll become mainstream feature...

I'm thinking about this since a month, still not able to decide :( ...

The waiting game never gets over . If you "need" a good phone then buy sgs2 now and use it . Its not as if the phone will stop working when sgs3 comes out will it ? Unless you need a powerful phone just for the heck of game graphics then you wait but its not worth it . Buy sgs2 and be happy . Its so powerful already what more you want in a phone ? I say go for it now . When sgs3 comes out then people will say "Oh the next nexus is already coming in the next 4 months its already announced" blah blah ...

aka911 said:
You will take a hit of around 10k.
Well 7-8grand may be.

abhifusion said:
I'm in same dilemma, but I have Spica with me :D ... S3 is roughly 6 months away if we consider S2 which was launched around May11 ... The options I've thought for now are,

# Get mid range phone ~ 15k something like SE Neo till the quad core phones hits the market...

# Get Samsung Note for now and forget about upgrade for 2 years ... Catch here is Indian Note dont have NFC and within 2 years I guess it'll become mainstream feature...

I'm thinking about this since a month, still not able to decide :( ...

Buying a mid range 15k rupees phone and selling it after 6 months is almost the same as buying the nexus prime and selling it after 6 months. you'll be loosing 6-8k
Scorpy said:
The waiting game never gets over . If you "need" a good phone then buy sgs2 now and use it . Its not as if the phone will stop working when sgs3 comes out will it ? Unless you need a powerful phone just for the heck of game graphics then you wait but its not worth it . Buy sgs2 and be happy . Its so powerful already what more you want in a phone ? I say go for it now . When sgs3 comes out then people will say "Oh the next nexus is already coming in the next 4 months its already announced" blah blah ...
I think i'll buy the nexus prime! :hap2:

techno_guy said:
When is galaxy nexus comming in markets?

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

Should be here by mid december or december end.

cooldude_007 said:
After i lost my galaxy spica, i almost bought the Galaxy s2 and when i was looking around for reviews i changed my mind and decided to wait for the Galaxy nexus, After i read about the confirmed specs of the Nexus prime it got me wondering if the galaxy nexus is a major upgrade over the galaxy s2, Defenitely not, The nexus prime can only show off its high-def screen and slightly better gfx and procy.

Last december, the Nexus S was believed to be a successor of Galaxy S which has almost the same hardware as that of the Nexus S, and soon after the Nexus S release, the galaxy s2 was released and it was a major upgrade from the single core phones.

I am a kind of a person who doesn't like upgrading phones too often(read-6 months) so is it a good idea to wait for something big from samsung? May be the galaxy s3 with the recently announced exynos 2ghz chipset?

Or does it make sense to buy the Nexus prime and exchange it for a better phone later by loosing a few grands?

P.S- I currently use Nokia 1600 and when i take it out of my pocket, my friends laugh like this :rofl:

First of all the Galaxy Nexus doesnt have a better CPU & GPU than the SGSII. The CPU part of both phones is basically a wash but the SGSII has the better GPU in Mali-400. Having said that, it shouldnt really affect your decision to purchase which one.

Waiting is always a good idea especially considering now days, the life-cycle of a flagship device is 6 months. So in six months time you will probably see the release of the SGS3 or any other flagship device from HTC (successor to the sensation? ). Now some of these devices will be quad-cores and some will be dual-cores but with higher CPU speed.

However, this waiting for the next "Best" can turn out to be a double-edged sword. With the frequency with which new phones are being released with updated specs, there wont be any single best phone so as to speak. Therefore you will have to wait and wait & never be able to decide, as the next "best" will always be just round the corner.

My suggestion is to live in the now, & stop contemplating about the future. If you fancy a phone now, then by all means get it & dont wait for a better phone to release as it is a end-less cycle. Personally I would go for the Galaxy Nexus simply because it has ICS now. If you ignore this factor, then hands down get the SGSII. But do keep in mind that when Galaxy Nexus releases in India (end of December at the earliest, but January most likely), SGSII will fall in price & would also get ICS in about roughly that time.

devvfata1ity said:
First of all the Galaxy Nexus doesnt have a better CPU & GPU than the SGSII. The CPU part of both phones is basically a wash but the SGSII has the better GPU in Mali-400. Having said that, it shouldnt really affect your decision to purchase which one.

Waiting is always a good idea especially considering now days, the life-cycle of a flagship device is 6 months. So in six months time you will probably see the release of the SGS3 or any other flagship device from HTC (successor to the sensation? ). Now some of these devices will be quad-cores and some will be dual-cores but with higher CPU speed.

However, this waiting for the next "Best" can turn out to be a double-edged sword. With the frequency with which new phones are being released with updated specs, there wont be any single best phone so as to speak. Therefore you will have to wait and wait & never be able to decide, as the next "best" will always be just round the corner.

My suggestion is to live in the now, & stop contemplating about the future. If you fancy a phone now, then by all means get it & dont wait for a better phone to release as it is a end-less cycle. Personally I would go for the Galaxy Nexus simply because it has ICS now. If you ignore this factor, then hands down get the SGSII. But do keep in mind that when Galaxy Nexus releases in India (end of December at the earliest, but January most likely), SGSII will fall in price & would also get ICS in about roughly that time.

You just said what i was wanting to hear. Thanks man, I think i'll buy the nexus prime if it is priced around 30k If it is priced like the iphone 4S,Then its the SGS2!

Guys What about Galaxy Note, my biggest doubt is between SGS2 & Note, there is a difference of about 3-4K, but the Note seems much cooler. Battery Life seems to be a concern with both.

I don't understand why worried so much about the SGS 2 or nexus or any other high end phone. Half the guys viewing this are very satisfied with their defys and SGS 1s... And probably reading and thinking,what better can this guy do with the extra money he could have saved on buying a phone like ours.

Dude, buying all those dual cores is good future proofing, but let there be apps and games available to utilise that amount of hardware. For now, any < or 15k droid can work the same as the champs of the droid crowd.

Hi there,

I was thinking of waiting for sgs3 too but after using ics on my nexus s i decided against it . I saw the alpha version of touchwiz and it looks similar to the s2 ui which isnt very pretty imo.

I'm thinking i'll get the galaxy nexus in jan when it releases here. I'll keep it till the next nexus comes (next december maybe).

Back