Buying a 18-200 Lens for my SLR Camer. Which Brand?

hyperknight

Disciple
I'm stuck between Sigma & Tamron. Which company is better? im leaning towards Sigma cos its slightly more expensive and I have that notion stuck in my head that I'm paying extra for better quality. Im deciding between

Tamron AF 18-200mm Di II XR LD f/3.8-6.3 (Rs 14,500)
or
Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM (Rs 17,500).

I know that the Sigma one has the optical stabilizer which the Tamron is basic.

I have the Nikon D3100 with the standard Nikon 18-55 VR lens. I wanna get a basic telephoto which can do wide angle as well. I'm a basic amateur photographer.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Among the Tamron AF 18-200mm Di II XR LD f/3.8-6.3 & Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, i'd prefer the Sigma one.. The two reasons being the HSM & OS features on the Sigma..

vinaycm said:
Among the Tamron AF 18-200mm Di II XR LD f/3.8-6.3 & Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, i'd prefer the Sigma one.. The two reasons being the HSM & OS features on the Sigma..

Can you explain what exactly is HSM?

malhotraraul said:
Since you already have Nikon 18-55 VR, then what is wrong with Nikon 55-200VR which will cost you around 10k ????
I really dont want to lug around 2 lenses when im travelling, so i figured having one which is 18-200 is better than having a 18-55 and 55-200.

I got my tamron 18-270 y'day. Haven't tried it or opened it yet. Will be starting a show off thread soon.. Exams going on :( I'll let you know how tamron "feels" :)

hyperknight said:
Can you explain what exactly is HSM?
HSM: Hyper-Sonic Motor, is Sigma's equivalent to Nikon's SWM & Canon's USM.. In simple terms, its a faster n quieter focusing motor which helps in focusing much quickly than with a conventional DC micro motor that usually comes in af lenses..

blueren said:
I got my tamron 18-270 y'day. Haven't tried it or opened it yet. Will be starting a show off thread soon.. Exams going on :( I'll let you know how tamron "feels" :)
Damages for the 18-270?

from jjmehta?

Back