Buying a budget touch screen phone

M@crosoft

The Weather Man !
Adept
Hey fellas,

I am really not much into mobile phones :yawn: so just needed an advice on this ...and yes this would be for my mom.

Budget : 7K (max) ..preferably <=6k :ashamed:

Any brand would do but I(anyone) would prefer Samsung,Nokia,Sony,LG over micromax,lava and shit :cursing: even if they are way cheaper.

Advices | Appreciated :D

If you want a good all rounder then consider Samsung Primo - S5610 @5.1k. Has a decent 5mp AF cam, 3g, front cam, decent battery backup, numeric keypad.
If you'd prefer touchscreen then Samsung Wave Y - @ Rs. 5845 - 2MP cam, wifi, good screen at this price point.http://adexmart.com/samsung/4310-samsung-wave-y-s5380.html
On the Nokia front, I'd say Asha 200 (if you'd like qwerty, plus dual sim) is good although the interface lags a little. priced @ Rs. 3750
If dual sim is not needed then Asha 302 should fit the bill perfectly - priced at Rs. 5711 - 3g, wifi, fast interface, good qwerty, good battery life Nokia Asha 302 - Dark Grey Price in India|Nokia Asha 302 - Dark Grey Specifications, Reviews
Overall, I'd still suggest Samsung Primo S5610 over the others for its simplicity, ease of use and good features at this price point. Else, Asha 302 or Wave Y :)

If you do not want high MP cam or touch screen etc, Nokia X2-02 is a good phone, costs approx 3.2k. i got it for my dad. Simple interface, big fonts and decent keypad. its dual sdim, but that was not my requirement.

Android is an open source OS, you can customize it the way you like, side-load apps and there are basically no restrictions. Other OSes like Microsoft's Windows Phone 7/7.5/7.8/8, Apple's iOS and even Nokia's Symbian are closed source. Where the owners decide what runs and how it runs.
But they focus more on optimizations and using hardware more efficiently, hence providing users with a more fluid UI.
In the end it all boils down to your usage and preferences.
Asha 311 has one of the fastest processors at this price point so the user interface is butter smooth. Also, they've borrowed the notification bar from Android so that boosts some usability as well.. Wifi, 3.5G, decent screen it has everything covered for the price it sells.

If you want boat loads of latest games and apps then you are out of luck. But the Ovi store covers pretty much most of the basic apps required.
Anyways in an under powered android phone in the 6k range most of the demanding games are not playable.

If you can extend the budget to ~7.5k then get the HTC explorer. But in your budget the Asha 311 is a pretty solid phone. Though take a demo of the phone before deciding on the same.

Bought Galaxy Y for 6.8 k :)

Found it's interface much more user friendly and ASHA's touch screen was a little bit on the resistive side...moreover the wider screen of GY got my mom rolling :23:

Had to compromise with the megapixels but the camera quality was more or less same.

I would like to thank all of you above for your valuable suggestions . :D

Bought Galaxy Y for 6.8 k :)

Found it's interface much more user friendly and ASHA's touch screen was a little bit on the resistive side...moreover the wider screen of GY got my mom rolling :23:

Had to compromise with the megapixels but the camera quality was more or less same.

I would like to thank all of you above for your valuable suggestions . :D

Congratulations!

Back