Camera buying a new dslr-pentax k-30 pls help

jibraltar

Recruit
hello everybody i am new to the world of dslr .
i had a p & s till now but now i want to go ahead and get a dslr
my budget is strictly below 35k
these are the cameras which came up
1)nikon d3200
2)nikon d5100
3)pentax k 30
4)canon 600d

i checked the reviews and snapsort and pentax beats each of these cameras in this price range.
for under 35k body+18-55 wr kit i am thinking of going for it.
i am not a pro and will never be one.i just want to take awsome pics at home or travelling

also will the 18-55mm be enough
i will be buying a 50mm 1.8 for indoors later on

pls help me make a choice
regards
rohan
pune

Most probably, no lens is going to be enough. Advantage with pentax is you can use lenses from the 1970s. Disadvantage is the newer auto focus prime lenses are going to be too costly compared to nikon/canon

Most probably, no lens is going to be enough. Advantage with pentax is you can use lenses from the 1970s. Disadvantage is the newer auto focus prime lenses are going to be too costly compared to nikon/canon
thank u for ur reply
but i dont plan on buying too many lenses ever
i am doing this as a hobby and to get better pics than my current point and shoot cam
also i am planning on buying one water resistant zoom kit lens for outdoors and when weather is good and will take a 50mm costing around 7k for indoors and night
also as there is so much dust in india i think the dust resistance in the camera and kit lens will also be useful
what do all u guys think,i am new so i want the help of all u experienced guys :)

Hi jibraltar,

I think this has to be some sort of coincidence.. I just bought my Nikon D5100 a couple of months back. like you , i was in between the pentax K-30 and the nikon. canon was out of my consideration as I had seen first hand and compared the results and build quality of the camera owned by my cousin.

I was stuck with Pentax K-30 in my head for more than 2 months and would have definitely bought it. The only reason I let it go was because of no official availability in India and hence huge service issues. now, i am not saying that you have to have service. but every once in a while one person gets unlucky with their possession and get disappointed for lack of service.

you can register yourself on pentaxforums and get in touch with people on that site. many pentax loyal indians over there.

only reason I finally went for Nikon was the service. the photo results i compared were not a world apart. agreed, the pentax did seem to have better photographs in terms of color accuracy and detail, but the difference was minimal.

real incident with me. after opening up my nikon and using it for 3 days, i suddenly had an aperture problem. i couldnt shoot photos the aperture even 1 stop smaller at any focal length. it was a mechanical issue due to which the aperture lever wasnt able to operate timely. a similar shutter sticking problem was known to be present in pentax cameras but were mostly taken care of by a slight nudge or pulling it out with a thin edge object.

if i had a pentax, i would have been doomed. i would have had no option if my seller did not replace the camera for me. with nikon, i went to the shop and instantly got a brand new piece (with a little insistence). they were trying to shun me with a refurbished piece without telling me. i sensed it when testing the camera in their shop and the buttons didnt quite seem as tight and hard as in a brand new camera.

so basically, if you're loving pentax so much, take the risk. but you wont regret the nikon d5100 either except when its raining. the dust is not an issue with nikon. you can easily take it out in any weather except rain. i wouldnt recommend the canons. the beginner range is not that good in terms of handling, feel and build quality. you can compare it for yourself in shops like croma or if you've have authorized resellers having the cams on demo.

thank u for ur reply
but i dont plan on buying too many lenses ever
i am doing this as a hobby and to get better pics than my current point and shoot cam
also i am planning on buying one water resistant zoom kit lens for outdoors and when weather is good and will take a 50mm costing around 7k for indoors and night
also as there is so much dust in india i think the dust resistance in the camera and kit lens will also be useful
what do all u guys think,i am new so i want the help of all u experienced guys :)
You never know when the hobby turns into passion and then you will absolutely need better lenses. D5100 is a great cam and once you learn to shoot in RAW and master post processing techniques, you wont find much of a difference between these cams as all are APSC sized sensors. In fact, 10% of work is field work ( composition, light, focus, aperture), the rest 90% is done on computer ( post processing, color correction, sharpening, cropping ).

Hi jibraltar,

I think this has to be some sort of coincidence.. I just bought my Nikon D5100 a couple of months back. like you , i was in between the pentax K-30 and the nikon. canon was out of my consideration as I had seen first hand and compared the results and build quality of the camera owned by my cousin.

I was stuck with Pentax K-30 in my head for more than 2 months and would have definitely bought it. The only reason I let it go was because of no official availability in India and hence huge service issues. now, i am not saying that you have to have service. but every once in a while one person gets unlucky with their possession and get disappointed for lack of service.

you can register yourself on pentaxforums and get in touch with people on that site. many pentax loyal indians over there.

only reason I finally went for Nikon was the service. the photo results i compared were not a world apart. agreed, the pentax did seem to have better photographs in terms of color accuracy and detail, but the difference was minimal.

real incident with me. after opening up my nikon and using it for 3 days, i suddenly had an aperture problem. i couldnt shoot photos the aperture even 1 stop smaller at any focal length. it was a mechanical issue due to which the aperture lever wasnt able to operate timely. a similar shutter sticking problem was known to be present in pentax cameras but were mostly taken care of by a slight nudge or pulling it out with a thin edge object.

if i had a pentax, i would have been doomed. i would have had no option if my seller did not replace the camera for me. with nikon, i went to the shop and instantly got a brand new piece (with a little insistence). they were trying to shun me with a refurbished piece without telling me. i sensed it when testing the camera in their shop and the buttons didnt quite seem as tight and hard as in a brand new camera.

so basically, if you're loving pentax so much, take the risk. but you wont regret the nikon d5100 either except when its raining. the dust is not an issue with nikon. you can easily take it out in any weather except rain. i wouldnt recommend the canons. the beginner range is not that good in terms of handling, feel and build quality. you can compare it for yourself in shops like croma or if you've have authorized resellers having the cams on demo.

hey thank u for ur reply
pentax are officially available in india since 15days.also i have been talking with the head of camera division in india and he is a good man and replied to my mails.and all the camera are having 3 years pentax india warranty.and he said if u have a problem with ur camera just submit it at any ricoh centre and we will collect the camera and repair and send it back to that centre and u can collect it from the centre near u.
i am very confused cos 1 month back nikon was the easiest choce :(

Dude I DID NOT KNOW THAT.. shit.. Then buy the Pentax without a thought.... Even i might consider selling my Nikon if it goes for a decent price n buy the Pentax

Back