Monitors Buying a new monitor

Hi there, first post here [though I've been a member for more than 3 years!].

Given that I've decided to dump my old 17" CRT for a good TFT monitor, I've been doing a bit of research related to TFT monitors. But frankly speaking, the jargon surrounding monitors has got me all confused and I'm seriously looking for advice from some of the old-timers here or those who have been through the same before buying a new monitor.

My first concern is the aspect ratio; given that I do a bit of programming/reading e-books/surfing the web and not just playing games, is wide screen monitor a bad choice for me?

Also, there has been a lot of heated discussions elsewhere as to which aspect ratio [16:9 v/s 16:10] would be best suited for daily use + watching movies + playing games. People normally prefer 16:10 aspect ratio for easier viewing. Anyone out there with a 16:9 aspect ratio and happy with doing net surfing/reading documents/programming etc? I'm asking this because having to switch from the native resolution to something else for most of the tiem sucks...

My second concern is regarding the video input type: a lot of my colleagues have advised me to ditch the analog VGA input and go with DVI/HDMI. Of course given that DVI monitors can be made to work with HDMI using the DVI-to-HDMI converter, I'm thinking of buying a monitor which supports DVI [HDMI support costs more $$$]. Anyone out there worked with the converter and found it satisfactory? On a related note, posting your own personal experiences of working with LCD's on a daily basis would be awesome!

Oh and BTW, price range of the 21"/22" monitors in INR would be much appreciated. :hap2:

TIA.

Ah, thanks for the pointers [sorry for the late reply btw]

Anyways, after reading through almost all the monitor related threads here, I've decided to go with not more than a 22" display and here are the few options I could salvage from the posts [I've a 8600GT card BTW]:
  • Samsung 2233SW
  • Dell S2209W
  • Benq G2200HD
AFAICT, all the above mentioned monitors have 1920 x 1080 native resolution, full HD, support VGA & DVI-D with HDCP, 16:9.

Please add more to my list if you know of any others. Also, personal experiences in terms of current price/quality/support/ease of use would be much appreciated.

Hoping to hear from you guys, TIA
-orochi

Back