iOS Buying a new tablet: Ipad vs others

aka911

Skilled
Hi,
I am looking to buy a new tablet for myself. I get regularly scolded by mom for squinting and reading on my iphone screen. Althogh I do have a nexus 7 (2012) tablet, The battery has run its course and it does not really handle pdf's well enough.
Also e ink displays are out because reading online journals is a priority. And kindle cant really handle pdfs too well.

Uses:

1. The tablet will be mainly used for browsing and for reading PDF documents. It will also be used for email.
Most of my PDF's will be journal articles, pretty small in size, but might later graduate to ebooks in pdf format.
Also I like to lie down and read ;) . So that is making my choice a bit difficult.
Ipad Air wins in screen real estate, While Ipad mini wins in portablity .
But I dont want to get a small tablet again considering I already have a nexus 7 and my experience with it.
But then I will also be carrying the tablet with me to hospitals, and in that case the mini might have an edge. As I said I am totally confused

2. Gaming and movie watching will be pretty limited . Will be doing some light photo and video editing.

3. Most Of my articles/pdf's will be either from the internet or email. for ex, say imported from safari.

4. Anyone who has the ipad air can comment on usage of tablet while lying down?

5. Anyone who has the latest gen android tablet, say Galaxy note series or Xperia Z Tab add their experience?

6. I am already 60: 40 in favor of Ipad either Air or mini. But If there is any compelling reason to go for a latest android tablet I might go for it.

7. Samsung Tab S series is out because of the AMOLED. I will be mainly browsing pages/documents which are with predominantly white background.

8. If I am going for Ipad should I get the cellular version ?
I know I can tether through my iphone , But Then If I can use a separate sim card in my ipad it does give me flexiblity to use another service provider and at the same time conserve my iphone battery life. I do have a wifi connection at home. But there are times when it is down or If I am out and about, and at those times I do have to resort to cellular connection. But then again It is a 10k premium.

9. Storage : I Wont be using it for music, movies, might be some light streaming. , Some photos. So I think 16 GB should be alright ?

10. No need of a rear camera. But front camera might be used for facetime,etc.

Tablets I have considered are:

1) Ipad Air
2) Ipad mini wit Retina
3)Xperia Z2 Tablet.
4)Ipad 4
5) galaxy note tablet series?

Budget is around 35k flexible if the product meets my needs. But then, the lesser the better. Because That way I can save a few for accessories ,

Regards,
aka.

for portability you have to prefer 7-8 inch screen. Carrying around and reading with one hand is pain with 10 inch.

iOS/Android is your pref. which ever you prefer. But I vote for portability and smaller size from my personal experience. I have iPad and nexus 7 (2013) and I read lot more on nexus compare to iPad just because of size and its almost always with me. So if iOS go for mini with retina.

For SIM option I always use tether with my phone as I dont continuously need internet on tablet so its up to you how much you use it on portable device

Last edited:
Ipad Air. Or Ipad Mini with Retina.

If you have budget never ever go for Android Tablet. :)

If hellbent on buying a Android get Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4". Marvelous piece of hardware.Your AMOLED reasoning is completely wrong. Its very nice. I only think about android tablet for its expandable memory. Nothing else. Its iOS for tablet all the way.

Buying tabs with SIM card is upto you. Mifi devices can help you out. But I feel they run out of battery charge fast. So.. and you need to carry another device and charger. So.

Ipad Air. Or Ipad Mini with Retina.

If you have budget never ever go for Android Tablet. :)

If hellbent on buying a Android get Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4". Marvelous piece of hardware.Your AMOLED reasoning is completely wrong. Its very nice. I only think about android tablet for its expandable memory. Nothing else. Its iOS for tablet all the way.

Buying tabs with SIM card is upto you. Mifi devices can help you out. But I feel they run out of battery charge fast. So.. and you need to carry another device and charger. So.

I believe the statement in bold is very misleading. Just because you had a bad experience with the android tablets does not mean that budget android laptops are that bad. You are entitled to your opinion but dismissing the android tablets like that makes you look silly.

In OP's case it makes more sense to buy ipad since he is already tied to the Apple ecosystem. Ipad air makes a lot of sense for him as it will tick most of his requirements.

It is not misleading.

I never had a bad experience with Android tablet. Android tablet have some utility. But if I have money to buy an iOS based tablet. I will get that. As it offers a better experience.

Its not a misleading or un informed fact that Android tablets are gaining market share due to their cheap offerings in horde. Take the Nexus line itself. :).

If you want to look at me silly, by all means. It also makes you look silly just to call others silly. As there is nothing silly abut what I said.

I am just saying that you have made a very generic statement that if you have budget you would never buy an android tablet. It may be the case with you but its not necessarily true for all the people.

I would never buy into Apple system as it does not suit me nor my needs so even if I would have 50K to spend I would still buy an android tablet. So its not about money for me as an iOS tablet as it would never fulfil my needs.

Dont take it the wrong way but I really feel that statement is a bit over the top.

It is a generic statement. It is true for everyone.

I don't buy all the apple system closed system mumbo jumbo. I have a windows PC, laptop and Tablet. I have 3 Android phones that I personally use. 1 iPad Air. 1 iPod Touch.
I still own 2 top end 2013 Android tablets(Note 10.1 and Nexus 2013), which though is used by my brother and sis-in-law. I am not going to list the tablets that I sold.

Do you really think I am biased?

It's posts like yours that create a bad Image for iOS. Its almost like saying its a cult. :S. Android is a nice offering of a tablet. Thats why I even recommended a model. Which I personally like. There also I said marvelous Hardware. Because it is. Android is designed such a way that it requires too much resources to run properly. Fragmentation. You need to buy the one with best screen and most processing power. But hey, I can get a iPad for that money and get a far better experience.My Note 3 N9005 is hell lagging nowadays. Its a top end phone with 3GB RAM. Do you still want me to recommend it to others? You say it doesn't fulfill your needs. Can you please tell what are they?
If I am soo over the top, why EVERY TABLET released in the world gets compared to iPad variants? Must be really silly people.

I am not a internet ninja. I paid my own money and sell things at a loss when I see I don't see the use. Even the note 3 with 250 USD work accessories. Just 5 months old. I am selling it for 400USD next week. It is irritating me.

Do you still want me to recommend things I personally feel shitty to others? Isn't after all a public forum meant to be for public opinion?

But to pick one out and call the person silly or over the top.. Hmmm.

Since you called out the problem as Fragmentation then you have no idea what you are talking about. Google updates all its services from Google play service which require you to be 4.1 or above. Again Android over 4.4 and above are not resource hungry. Since you are using custom skin you may be entitled to have an opinion based on devices that you have used.

Let me first tell you why the iPad is not for me?

1. I need my entertainment on my tablet and the they come with shows and movies acquired from the internet. I would prefer a drag and drop approach to load up data in my tablet instead of opening crappy itunes every time. (I still think its a half decent software). I prefer the android system here because its easy and I have MX player to play it.

2. Similarly, I have the option to download what I want directly in the tab. Yes I have a very fast internet connection (You would also have) so I dont download stuff on the PC and transfer it back here.

3. I have friends who send a lot of stuff over dropbox and emails and Ipads struggle to open half that stuff. Some of it is entertainment and some of it is office work.

I can go on and on but hey its my opinion and I dont baltently tell people in every thread why Ipads dont make sense. But every person has a different usage and let me tell you one thing, give me 50k right now and I still wont buy ipad. Because it does nto suit me.

So instead of me saying if you want to live your life by how Apple wants you to go ahead and buy an Ipad but I am not gonna do that on a public forum. Public forums are public but the thing is your are not a public fiqure.

As per your logic its a public forum so I told you my opinion and this is my last post here.

I have no idea what I am talking about.

1 & 2. Well, If you see the post that you quoted first. The only reason I like Android is the expandable memory. Meaning Drag and Drop. I agree.

My connection is 50Mbps connection, Tonnes of streaming applications are there. Perhaps the reason why for me this doesn't make or break.

3. Hmm. Another not so widely applicable information. Its with android tablets, I sometimes face force close. Never with iPads. Mind you I heavily use One drive, Google Drive and Drop Box. So do like N Number of my colleagues who ALL use ipads.

You are just ranting now. So a blanket reply,

You need to be patient and understanding of others experience also rather than dismissing them completely. In my post also, I never dismissed Android. Did I?

I am not ranting. You asked me reasons why ipads dont work for me. I gave you 3 of many more.

You need to be patient and understanding of others experience also rather than dismissing them completely. In my post also, I never dismissed Android. Did I?

You are contradicting yourself in that whole sentence.

You gave 2 reasons for ipad doesnt work for you. I agree that. 1 and 2 are the same. which is the only actual reason for which there is no fix and wont be.
3rd one is personal preference. So cant help it.

Your 1& 2 was given in the first post I made. You chose to ignore it again and again in all the posts I made. Once the rant starts its hard to see the reason.
So let it be then :D.

You fail to see the most important part of that post.

If you have budget never ever go for Android Tablet.

You need to be patient and understanding of others experience also rather than dismissing them completely

Yea mate ranting :D

@OP.

If you have the budget, do get the ipad. Ignore Android tablets. Else check out the Tab S 8.4 from Samsung.

Sorry for the mess in this thread.

I think for pdfs android makes more sense due to its aspect ratio.16:9 or 16:10 feels more natural than 4:3.Also,because of that ratio,ipad would be less suited for one hand use due to increased torque on your hand.
If i was in your place,i would go for tab s 10.5.

^^

I disagree. :). Completely again. 4.3 aspect with retina resolution(display)gives a wonderful way of natural reading.

Although I used the surface pro 3 and the tab s last saturday. It was nothing short of amazing.

@ayaskant12 Can help out more in this. :). We had a similar discussion about this.

Just now read, Surface Pro 3 is something like 3:2.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys . my pc has just gone bonkers and refuses to connect to my router. So was late in replying here

@mjeri

It is the 4:3 ratio that is pulling me towards the iPad series .

1) Is the air light enough to be propped up and used while reclining. I know it is a matter of personal preference but would still like the view of a regular user.
Ipad4 is just too heavy.

2. Since you have access to both an Ipad air and a note 2014 , can you please comment on the pdf performance?

3. Since the iPad air/mini have such short bezels , is holding them a problem , I know apple has edge rejection but still..

4. Is there any app /jailbreak tweak that will allow me to send or receive normal that is cellular messages on the iPad through my iphone . please note that I am not talking about I message .

5. Does the iPad open PowerPoint files received in email natively. Can it be done with the free I works suite ? Will the formatting be altered or maintained ?

6. Will the iPad be able to access content from HDD connected to my wireless router natively , or with a jb. I want to do it the easy way without ssh ?

I am thinking of going for a dlink or some new router with 3g. Data card support. That might help me avoid the downtimes of Bsnl and save money by buying. A WiFi only iPad.

dont worry about black text on white background.It can easily be changed to white on black which would be wonderful on an amoled.

But I dont want black background with white text. I want to view my journal articles as they are, and since many are scanned copies which end up being pdf documents,I am looking for something with ips lcd as opposed to an AMOLED ..

Samsung Galaxy s Tablets have perhaps the best screen on the market. But according to reviews battery life does take a serious hit when used for anything else other then multimedia/games.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8197/samsung-galaxy-tab-s-review-105-84inch/3

@xtremevicky
Can you please comment on viewing documents on nexus 2013. Is it a lot different from 2012 nexus ? Although the resolution has been upgraded it does remain 16:10 . so again we have to zoom , pan, pinch , ...

I feel there are some good points about android tablets. Esp the note series with stylus that can be used for PDF annotation. But it would be great if someone who is a regular user of note 10.1 comments on the experience

I hate using my tablet in the landscape mode , it does not seem natural .

Sent from my nexus 7 2012. Running the latest kitkat 4.4.4 . it took me a really long time to compose this message. I am not an apple loyalist or amything but I don't Luke my gadgets becoming obsolete in 1 year.

Last edited:
1. If you are saying the tablet will be in a suspended state with no support, Even the Nexus 2013 made my arms ache in like 20 minutes. Air is Air like. But the cases that you put on will make it heavier. So.
2. I prefer Air anyday for PDF, epubs, CBZ etc. Note is not bad. But once I use the iOS and the way it loads the pages and swipes without any flicker or issues, I just wont go back to Note. Thats why I gave it away to my family members.
3. Apple has the edge rejection. That is a big deal. So no. No issues. I always lock my screen rotation also.

And yea, my tablets come into picture when I turn my TV off and I am ready to sleep. The last minute checks. :).

Since you say battery. I always get best battery life out of my ipad air. Nothing comes close. No idea how.

Back