Camera Buying advice: P&S Camera budget ~ 20k

theoracle

Adept
Hi friends,
I am looking to buy a point and shoot camera.
  • My budget is around ₹20,000.
  • Open to most brand (Nikon/Canon/Sony first preference).
  • Not much knowledge about photography, not looking for anything professional.
  • Should not be bulky and should be easy to travel with.
  • Operating the camera should not be too complex.
Please help me out in this :)
Thanks in Advance.

Check out the new Nikon P600. It has a 60X optical zoom :D

I had recommended this to my cousin who purchased it from Amazon.in a few days back for Rs. 20750. Note if it's not available be patient .... it will get listed soon (hopefully).

Check out the new Nikon P600. It has a 60X optical zoom :D

I had recommended this to my cousin who purchased it from Amazon.in a few days back for Rs. 20750. Note if it's not available be patient .... it will get listed soon (hopefully).
Thanks for the recommendation will take a look :).

You want a camera to outzoom others?
Or you want a camera to click better quality pictures?

In my opinion for convenience you should look at non-bulky ones (usually much cheaper than 20K- usually in the 10K to 15K range) otherwise you will curse yourself later.
Don't get caught in the my zoom is greater than your race unless you really wish to capture a photo of a bird 2km away.

Check out Fujifilm XF1. Easy to carry around, looks great, has large sensor, is fast when used wide open, minimal noise at ISO800.
Fujifilm XF1 is available around 18k. Check specs at details here: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-xf1.
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_xf1_review/rivals/ mentions main competitors in this range, however most of them cost more than Fujifilm XF1.

Nikon Coopix P310 which costs ~16k is also good to consider.
If you are considering increasing your budget, Sony DSC-RX100 ~28k is great camera to consider.

PS: I have given preference for image quality and form factor here. If you need more flexibility in terms of long zoom range, look for bridge cameras. However, bridge cameras are bulky to carry around.

I second Fujifilm XF1. I think it is a camera with the largest sensor under 20k currently in Indian marke i.e 2/3-inch sensor. A normal point and shoot even with long zoom lens (20x or more) comes with 1/2.3-inch sensor which offers decent image but cameras with sensors from 1/1.7-inch (Canon S110, Nikon P310, Pana LX-series) and even bigger Fujifilm XF-1 which has 2/3-inch will provide much better image quality and I believe you can get them under 20k, and for sure, yes the XF-1 fits the bill. Do not go for the zooming factor, you will utilize the huge-x factor lesser than you expected and the excitement does not last that long. (If you can stretch your budget I'd suggest Sony NEX-3N which is slightly bigger than compact but if I'm not mistaken, Reliance Digital has it for 23k now. Otherwise, Sony RX100 or Nikon 1 series. These are good quality cameras)

I am not that interested in having a mega zoom feature, may not use 99% of the time. Looking more into image quality and ease of use/carry.
I had a look at the Nikon P600, it looked a bit bulky may not be that convenient to carry .

Considering Fujifilm XF1 as suggested by @Sudarshan_SMD and @GreenJay , it is currently available on ebay at 16.5 k link http://www.ebay.in/itm/Fujifilm-X-F...ct_Digital_Cameras&hash=item2a3bf6c169&_uhb=1 after using the 8% off coupon. Any feedback on the price/ seller would be helpful.

Also what is the feedback for Panasonic Lumix DMC LX5 Point , currently available at flipkart for 17,300?

From Panasonic LX5 and Fujifilm XF1, I'd choose Fujifilm XF1.
Advantages of Fujifilm XF1 over Panasonic LX5:
-Bigger sensor(which means less noise and more bokeh/shallow depth of field/ background blur)
-Aperture: Big aperture( ie. small f value) means more light available( can shoot in low light), and more bokeh.
XF1 is faster wide open(f 1.8) as to LX5's(f 2.0). However, it is slower when zoomed in(f 4.9 as to LX5's f 3.3).
What this means is XF1 will perform better than LX5 normally, however when you zoom in LX5 will be better.
-Burst Rate: How many photographs you can make in a second. Beneficial when you are photographing action.
XF1: 7 fps, LX5: 3 fps
XF1 winds hand down.
- Video resolution: XF1 (1920x1080 ie. 1080p) vs LX5 (1280x720 i.e 720p)

All points aside, why I prefer XF1 is for it's big sensor and big aperture(is low when zoomed in though). When it comes to looks(subjective), Fujifilm X series is killer.

@theoracle .... I do not ever wish to undermine any of the valid points that have shared by my fellow TE folks out here. I am also aware of your primary concern, that the camera - Should not be bulky and should be easy to travel with.

However, do consider the following :
1. Almost all of the sleek, slim and light cameras have a multi barreled lens consisting of 2/3/4 or 5 telescopic barrels. Over a period of time ( 2 to 3 years ) these barrels are prone to malfunction. The main culprit being "dust & dirt" which no one can avoid. Thus your investment will last you only that long. I have hardly known anyone who has used a "sleek camera" for a longer period than 2 - 3 years.

2. The bigger P & S cameras or bridge cameras that have a "single lens barrel" appear bulky - Like Nikon P600; Sony DHS-HX100/200/300/400; Olympus SP-100; Samsung WB-2200F etc. The bulkiness is not so much a hindrance if one considers all the other aspects that this type of camera has to offer:
- No need to carry multiple lenses. The single lens will cater to all of ones needs - from macro to telescopic
- because this has ONLY a single barreled lens it will have a longer usage than the sleek multi-barreled lens
- Manual functions fully available
- You will NEVER experience a feeling - "Shit - wish my lens could cover that range & get really up-close"

There are scores of people including myself who are using a DSLR and do not mind carrying the additional lenses along whenever we travel and have photography in mind. I have a Nikon D5000 with a 55-300; 35mm & kit-lens & I have never minded the weight of all these.

3. Picture Quality - this is the most debatable and controversial point that is discussed. Most of todays cameras perform exceedingly well in most situations (sleek or bridge). There are only subtle color variations between a Canon; Panasonic; Sony & a Nikon. Everything else is subjective - how many of us would want to "crop and zoom" into an image 50 to 500x or more to then notice the pixellation issues, banding or any other technical issues ?

Lastly - the battle of the mega-zooms will not end (there are rumors of 85X & 100X launches in the next 2-3 months). I am not advocating that mega-zooms are the ONLY solution to everyone's needs. However, for starter's & all those looking to enjoy photography with simple & easy to operate cameras that are also priced reasonably (upto a maximum of 25K) the mega-zooms give the best bang-for-the-buck.

All the best

Last edited:
Terence, You have said something new to me. I am really interested to discuss a little more about it. After reading your post, I checked that SX50 does have one single barrel while S110 have more than one. But still I think dust can go into the lens elements of SX50 or any other bridge cameras for that matter. :) It's not completely avoidable. After all it's not a rugged body :) it's not fair to expect that. May be you're right, this single lens barrel cameras are less prone to dusts than the multi barrel cameras.

OP, You already have some large sensor compacts suggestions. Don't bother checking LX5, it's too old. And you can add S110 along with them. In my view, it's the best VFM large sensor compact after Canon slashed it's price. But the problem is, it's availability. The best price was around 17k. See if you can find it...
But I doubt whether you will appreciate any of the key features of these large sensor compacts.

I wouldn't have suggested anything beyond IXUS 255 if I posted right after your first post. I agree that the above large senor cameras have an edge over this one as far as IQ and low light is concern. But I don't see big difference in terms of IQ. I would settle for IXUS 255 if my only concern is IQ, but those large sensor compacts have few more things I would like to have in my camera. But you're not me, and your purpose is different. Do a little research before buying.

That ebay seller's rating is good. If I am buying, I would buy it from him.

As pointed out by @nac. If you find Canon S110 at cheap, that will be great. If you are interested in getting 2nd hand camera, jjmehta forum has a sale thread going on where Canon S90 is up for grabs at 9k.

However, do consider the following :
1. Almost all of the sleek, slim and light cameras have a multi barreled lens consisting of 2/3/4 or 5 telescopic barrels. Over a period of time ( 2 to 3 years ) these barrels are prone to malfunction. The main culprit being "dust & dirt" which no one can avoid. Thus your investment will last you only that long. I have hardly known anyone who has used a "sleek camera" for a longer period than 2 - 3 years.

2. The bigger P & S cameras or bridge cameras that have a "single lens barrel" appear bulky - Like Nikon P600; Sony DHS-HX100/200/300/400; Olympus SP-100; Samsung WB-2200F etc. The bulkiness is not so much a hindrance if one considers all the other aspects that this type of camera has to offer:
- No need to carry multiple lenses. The single lens will cater to all of ones needs - from macro to telescopic
- because this has ONLY a single barreled lens it will have a longer usage than the sleek multi-barreled lens
- Manual functions fully available
- You will NEVER experience a feeling - "Shit - wish my lens could cover that range & get really up-close"

There are scores of people including myself who are using a DSLR and do not mind carrying the additional lenses along whenever we travel and have photography in mind. I have a Nikon D5000 with a 55-300; 35mm & kit-lens & I have never minded the weight of all these.

3. Picture Quality - this is the most debatable and controversial point that is discussed. Most of todays cameras perform exceedingly well in most situations (sleek or bridge). There are only subtle color variations between a Canon; Panasonic; Sony & a Nikon. Everything else is subjective - how many of us would want to "crop and zoom" into an image 50 to 500x or more to then notice the pixellation issues, banding or any other technical issues ?

Lastly - the battle of the mega-zooms will not end (there are rumors of 85X & 100X launches in the next 2-3 months). I am not advocating that mega-zooms are the ONLY solution to everyone's needs. However, for starter's & all those looking to enjoy photography with simple & easy to operate cameras that are also priced reasonably (upto a maximum of 25K) the mega-zooms give the best bang-for-the-buck.

All the best

My perspective differ from yours. I have put forth my point in same manner as yours in following reply.

1. Yes, camera will mutli barreled lens will be more prone to getting dust in. But, it will only happen if you expose your camera to elements. Almost all low end DSLR and lens don't have weather sealing. If you expose your camera to elements, you are going to have problems. This however should not be a deterrent in buying camera, unless you are going to expose your camera to extreme conditions, in which case you'd buy a weather proof camera.

2. Bridge camera don't just appear bulky, they are bulky.
- You can't put it in your pocket
- You won't able to carry it with you all the time( viz. going to office, party, function).
- Bigger camera is attention grabber.
- You have to carry a bag for it and it's slow to retrieve. Even more so, if you put it in a backpack.

Zoom-range and better grip is the only advantage that bridge camera will offer over bigger sensor P&S camera. Anyway, with most bridge camera IQ degrades as as you zoom in.

There are lots of advantages of travelling light.
There's a reason why Fujiflim X100 ( fixed, prime lens, expensive), Sigma DP series camera get buyers.

3. Well, it's a fact that P&S sales are lowering due to mobile phones.
With bigger sensor, comes better IQ. It's not about pixel count/ print size, it's about IQ(dynamic range, noise, sharpness, etc). I'd happily trade 20MP camera for 5MP camera that has better IQ.

Yes, on any other day I'd suggest bridge camera for most a person who wants to have good zoom range.
However, OP needs a camera that has good IQ, is light, and zoom range is not a concern.

Back