Buying an E72, have some questions

abbY

Skilled
Hi guys,
My friend is planning to buy an E72, she wants a phone with a 5Mp camera (her work demands her to click a lot of candid pics) that looks good.

However since her budget is close to 15k, I recommended she buy an E72 from newegg, her father is a flight pursor with AI and travels to the big apple once a month so he should be able to get it and take care if warranty issues arise.

newegg is currently selling the phone for $379, that comes to 17,646.
univercell.in has listed the phone for 20,500 incl of vat

1. Will a phone purchased from the US work out-of-the-box in India ?
2. Can somebody please tell me the street prices at Maharashtra
3. Need some comments on the Camera quality

^I think the phone may be locked with a particular service provider. Someone else can clarify that point.

Did you suggest her the E72 by any chance? There're phones which have a better 5mp cam just in case! If the cam is more important, she can as well look into the SE phones - I've always found the cybershot phones to have a better PQ for the photos clicked than the ones clicked using a similar Nokia high-end phone.

I agree that the SE phones are better in terms of cam (I am a proud owner of one too) , but the current crop is a big let down in terms of looks and features . I know that this 5MP isn't best out there, but I believe that the features and the new Ui kinda make up for it, just wanted to know whether the 5Mp on this one is a horrific or it decently good ?

Yes I suggested her to get the phone from newegg, my friend in the US will purchase it ..test it and give it to her father. If there are any issues her father can take to the US since he travels to NY every month.

This is the phone I am planning to buy -> Newegg.com - Nokia E72 Black 3G GSM smart phone with 5.0 MP Camera - Unlocked Cell Phones

Seems unlocked to me (Nokia phones usually are)

Gannu said:
^I think the phone may be locked with a particular service provider. Someone else can clarify that point.

Did you suggest her the E72 by any chance? There're phones which have a better 5mp cam just in case! If the cam is more important, she can as well look into the SE phones - I've always found the cybershot phones to have a better PQ for the photos clicked than the ones clicked using a similar Nokia high-end phone.
Used to be like that some yrs ago :p ..nokia has excellent camera phones like N82 , N86 , 6700 classic etc .. I think if ur buying it unlocked then it can work in India without any issues . And she is looking for camera phone then U can get N86 in that budget if bought from abroad.. I have used most if not all camera phones and trust me nothing better than N86 as overall camera,, ie for photos as well as videos.. and yes E72 does have pretty good 5mp cam

even if it is a locked phone to a carrier, there are places where you can get it unlocked by paying few bucks but if any problem rises, you have to load the default firmware and send it to customer care, which will be a headache.

It's E72. camera quality should be just okay.

Also, did you check N79? should cost around 17k in India

There is hardly a price difference between India and the U.S. especially if you know how to bargain. You should be able to get the E72 for 19k-20k, and honestly you want to have the warranty (which you would not get with a U.S. bought phone).

thank you. Already saw this option.

Now waiting for next week's deals of the week. Might get lucky. Who knows? There will be a christmas offer coming soon too!

i think e63 is better choice.

pay around 19 k or more...

5 MP camera is pathetic......

camera is mediocre....

same features on e63 with less money..

except you travel using navigation and maps.. and digital compass.....

Google maps is replacement for this ....

I would agree partially. But for many, the 2 MP camera on the 63 is below average. Photos are pretty bad actually. And the 5 MP camera in the E72 is regarded as good, by many. Something is always better than nothing!

Add the optical trackpad, the nice metallic body, the slightly brighter display, the slim factor (more than even the E71) and the Symbian Fp2, you could say the 72 is decent VFM

1. In the US, your more likely to get an carrier unlocked device than a retail boxed set.

2. Once unlocked, you shouldn't have a problem using it here but if something goes wrong and you switch to default settings(restore) or update firmware, it get's locked again. Getting it unlocked here will be a PITA.

3. 450$ (23.4K) for the E72? In Chennai, you are getting it for 19.7K + 4%VAT.

If something does go wrong, you simply have to drop it at a local Nokia Care Centre, as opposed to getting it checked at NY(however viable that is).

4. If a good 5MP camera is the primary requirement, why choose a business device that simply flaunts one (although it's pretty good) as opposed to dedicated camera phones that are available? Phones like the N82 are still among the best 5MP snappers. But that's subjective though.

5. I'm not being a Nokia fanatic here but the recent trend clearly shows that Nokia camera phones perform better than SE counterparts. SE is clearly putting design in front of functionality. No further comments on this though.

6. Why was the E63 even brought into discussion here? It's meant to be a budget QWERTY device in the E series.The camera on it is a joke, leave alone comparing it to the E72, which is light years ahead.

Hope this sheds some light.

The N86 is feature packed..but this phone is for a female (this species is not really known to utilize all the features), when it comes to camera all they care is point-n-shoot.

When it comes to a phone all they care is looks, call , message, ui

IMO the E72 excels in the features that a girl needs so I recommended it.

The E72 is selling for $389 (17.8k) unlocked at newegg, in Mumbai the price is 21.5k, besides since her father flies to the US every month I don't think that warranty should be a problem.

Back