Buying External Hard Disk

jonamdhar

Recruit
I want to buy a External Hard Disk of 250 or 500Gb of Seagate or Transcend. I wanted to know all the things that have to be looked for in an external hard disk. Secondly what will be their cost in Richie Street, Chennai.

There is nothing much to look at except you want them to run on external power or not.. If you want the ones powered by only USB get the 2.5" ones or else if it's going to stay at one place get the 3.5" ones.. Prices are different everywhere so it;s best if you went shopping asked at a few places and then choose the best one, Buffalo, Seagate, Transcend, Verbatim, IOmega make good quality...

For HDDS which have external power like Seagate FreeAgent 500 etc, there would be a need for an additional power socket. In case of Seagate, the plug is bulky (like that of a typical mobile charger). In case you have problems in finding sockets, you will need to plan for a power strip.

Else, go for the (as suggested above) smaller 2.5 drives like the FreeAgentGo which are powered thru' USB - this makes them comparatively more portable (if portability is a must, you really have no choice but USB powered drives).

Note: I have mentioned Seagate models as I have personal experience with Seagate external drives only!

I would suggest WD drives purely for the servicing experience. In case of Seagate, you have to visit their service centre twice. In case of WD, they will visit your house and then deliver the repaired disk/new disk to you. :)

Just got a Buffalo 500GB one for myself for 4900/-. Seagate was 4600/-.

The feature that I really liked in Buffalo is a neat way to tuck the USB cable with the drive itself. So bye bye to "where is the cable?" situations.

Thanks,

apande

Back