Buying hard disk for someone else risky?

justmat

Disciple
My classmate asked me if I cud buy him a hard disk from eBay (he doesn't have access to internet) he gave me his debit card details and I added the money to mobikwik and bought the drive from eBay. Now the product is on its way, but I was thinking (okay this might sound real crazy) is there any possibility,even remotely, that if at some point this drive is found to have any offensive content (I don't know him very well and he lives in a boys hostel) and any authority trace it down to me and I get in trouble.. Or if he sells it to someone else and something happens.. Basically I just want to know if I should just return the drive and give him the money back. I cud come up with some lie like they refunded the amount owing to something...

if the shipping address belongs to you, then there are more chances of someone accusing you of stealing debit card details than linking the hard disk contents to you.

after getting the hard disk, ask your friend to register it in his name.

Wow,i like the precaution you're considering.
It's very rare for you to be in such a shitty situation but hey it's India,so we never know :p

Since he's your friend and you want to help as well,here's what i'd suggest :
Call him to your place (ask him to get some snacks,pizza,drinks :p) and let him do the booking himself through his phone (WiFi) from his own account.
The eBay,Mobikwik account can be registered in his name and link all the details to him.

Or if it's too fishy and you still want to risk helping him : go to a Cyber Cafe and make the purchase in method mentioned above.

If you find a better way,kindly PM me :)

Last edited:
Wow,i like the precaution you're considering.
It's very rare for you to be in such a shitty situation but hey it's India,so we never know [emoji14]

Since he's your friend and you want to help as well,here's what i'd suggest :
Call him to your place (ask him to get some snacks,pizza,drinks [emoji14]) and let him do the booking himself through his phone (WiFi) from his own account.
The eBay,Mobikwik account can be registered in his name and link all the details to him.

Or if it's too fishy and you still want to risk helping him : go to a Cyber Cafe and make the purchase in method mentioned above.

If you find a better way,kindly PM me :)
I think cyber cafe's have to keep a copy of the users ID card.

don't worry you'll do fine. hard drive have limited life and there are more chances of it going bad than having authorities search for it. You'll be linked only if its highly dangerous content like CP. which I doubt your friend will keep.

Back