Car & Bike Buying my First Car... Suggestions Needed..

SauravR

Disciple
I think i am ready to buy my first car .... this diwali...
My budget is in around 5Lac not way south to 6Lac...
anything over 5.5 and my loan might not pass at all...

Now requirement.... simple home use ... occasional longdrive let say maybe 6K kms an year... the spares should not be very costly/scare and service should not be so exclusive have to drive to one particular place all the time..

Extra's in car .... should have power steering, power windows and music system does not matter... Not a music kind of guy ... radio more than enough for me...

I narrowed down to TATA indigo CS GLS , Fiat grande Punto 1.2 Activ, Hyundai i20, Skoda fabia.
Skoda fabia dropped after reading user reviews at carwale... saw indigo parked other day quite like the car ... only that it was a taxi...:(

almost decided to buy indigo CS but later on relaize like all TATA cars this is prone to become a taxi..

Its being a taxi is not such a bad thing maybe, i will collect fare on my way to office ....:rofl:
seriously guys your opinion please i have to apply for loan in 2 to 3 days so that i get my vehicle by diwali...

TIA
peace
SauravR

With after sales and service being your primary concern,i'll suggest you look at only maruti and hyundai cars.maruti swift,ritz and hyundai i20 are within your budget.test drive all three and buy the one that you like.

Yup! Stick with Hyundai!

Maruti has got the biggest service network in the country! So recommended for someone who's on the move most of the time!

As I've been deciding to get a car myself, I'm skeptical about TATA-FIAT's A.S.S.!(Punto)

Regarding passenger space - i20 has quite a lot! Rear passengers would never complain of lack of space etc.

Punto on the other hand has some rear seat issues(decreased legroom)

at least i20 part and maintenance are very costy replacement like i10 but some part are costy

if u love diesel then why not CRDI I20 :)

dont buy a diesel car at all for just 6k run /year

ur best bets as of now are hyundia i20. if that exceeds ur budget, then gets the fiat punto

or even i10 wud be a good choice

u will save 1lac as well

The after Sales service is important as i was buying car in lucknow.. while i am living in navi mumbai... I do not wish my father to struggle to get the car serviced as and some spares to cost too much... Tata was one of the choice because of some many mechanics and spare shops carrying its spares...

I never used a diesel vehicle before heard have to take care of it a lot.. i10 few of my colleagues are using.. and yes i20 was among my first choice ... it comes about 5.3lacs in lucknow...If there are no better alternatives will have to go for i20...

Swift would be a good option if service is your primary concern. i20 might just fit the budget that you have or else if it is gonna be for your father, go for i10. You will save money like some earlier post has mentioned and it is much easy to drive with minimum maintenance.

of all three, buy the i10, and get a good rig from the money saved. lol.

saving money is not an option... hell i would have bought a Bentley if they(SBI) gives me loan for it... i am getting loan for 15 years from SBI.. and even if i prepay it i will not be eligible for another loan before 15 years ...

so this might be my vehicle for a long time to come ...

it will stay at my parents place for atmost 3 years after i get my petrol priviledges ...

the car is coming right back to me... for another 12 years...:(

Get the Swift with ABS. Its a real FTD car. Spares are cheap and support is truly nation wide. For doing 6k kms/year, don't bother with a diesel.. unless you like their torque!

But, if your father is going to use the car mainly(or, you don't want something lively), look at Hyundai i10 and the Getz petrol. No offense to i10/Getz owners. They are very good cars but IMHO the FTD quotient is missing. Now, now, don't bring the Getz CRDi in the picture. That is a CRAZY car!

The Spark is also a good bet as a pure city car depending on the GM support in your neck of the woods.

SauravR said:
I do not wish my father to struggle to get the car serviced as and some spares to cost too much... Tata was one of the choice because of some many mechanics and spare shops carrying its spares...

There are spares and mechanics everywhere because it just breaks down that much! If you dont want your dad to struggle, I would suggest you forget about Tata for now.

Just from my own and some friends' experience

We all realised that, when we bought our first cars, the monthly mileage increased by 1.5-2 times after couple of months.
The reasons is, you start loving your car and all those nearby ( <1K Km) destinations start calling you. You start planning the weekend trips, dropping the visiting relatives to train stations, sometimes in the evening after a bad day you just wanna go for a drive just to be with yourself and enjoy the curves and some good music( I do a lot of Mumbai to Lonavala/Pali/Malshej ghat etc) etc.
This did happen with most of us.

think of this too. Nowadays I'm recommending cars with superb FIAT 1.3 Diesel engine.Don't matter even if you do less than 700KM/month as the maintenance is very comparable to petrol car (service interval is 15K with synthetic oil). Only difference is the purchase price.

Cars
Fiat Palio MJD, Fiat Punto, TATA Indica Vista QJD, Maruti Swift DDIS, Maruti RitZ DDIS, Dezire DDIS

Hyundai I20 diesel has a monster 1.5 L engine. 100BHP very good too.

My opinions are:

Don't go for a diesel car with 6K running annually.

i20 is overpriced IMO.

Swift is too old.

Your best bet is Ritz ZXi if looks suits you. Its the best car in your chosen price segment.

Also if you can live with Fiat A.S.S - Fiat Punto is great.

If you want a Sedan - you can get a very good Honda City (about 2 year old) in your budget.

Do check team-bhp forum for more details regarding suggestions and initial test-drive reports and long term ownership reports.

If the OP is going to keep the car for 15 years (highly doubtful, but for arguments sake) then a diesel is viable even though he is running only 6k a year. Whatever mileage calculations there are to justify purchasing a diesel are based on an assumed length of ownership, which I am assuming is less than 15 years. 15*6k = 90,000 km. I believe that sort of mileage will offset initial cost.

Kneo said:
You are getting a car loan for 15 yrs?
its complicated... i am getting @ 7% Simple Interest...
by HR laws my salary deductions cannot go beyond 40% of my gross monthly salary... now salary is at nearly 17K.. so they cannot deduct more than 6.8 K and GPF contribution, union contributions, professional tax, water , furniture, house already accumulates to 2.5K, besides they have to cushion for my future loans.. so generally whatever vehicle your purchase ... they try to keep deductions at minimum.... for two wheeler time is from 5 to 7 years and for 4 wheelers time is 15 years.. so EMI does not climb over 3.5K... thats why i said not more than 5.5Lacs else hands down i would have gone for Honda Civic or CRV no matter how lousy they are...

Had a talk at home turns out position has changed in last three years...
Note to self ... should visit home more often....:no: now we have 2 cars already at home and the mileage they runs is much more than 60K an year considering more than 5K a month...

Me think that i will most probably go for Swift Diesel .... will come around to 5.3 in lko... pros and cons of Swift diesel guys...:huh:

miss the old days when deciding upon a car was so easy....
donot have money to spare --- buy maruti 800
have some money to spare ---- buy maruti zen
have a lot of money to spare --- buy esteem

so many cars .... nowadays so confusing... :S

Back