Budget 21-30k Buying New PC and Upgrading Rig

ak56u

Disciple
I am looking to buy a new PC for my dedicated home theatre. I am also looking to upgrade the gpu and psu of my current rig and I shall cannibalize the old gpu and psu for my new system.

The current specs of my gaming rig are:

Processor: Intel i5 4460
MB: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
GPU(to be changed): Gigabyte HD 7750 1GB DDR5
PSU(to be changed): Corsair Cx430 v2
Cabinet: NZXT 921RB
Sound: Asus Xonar DG
RAM: 8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 1600Mhz
HD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200RPM

My budget for GPU and SMPS are 20k. My purpose for the rig is solely playing latest games at medium-high settings. I want XPlane 10 and Assassin's Creed Unity to run smoothly at medium settings.

Now expected specs for my new system:

GPU & SMPS: Cannibalized from the above rig
Mobo and Processor: No specific preference
Cabinet: Locally procured/cheap cabinet from iBall as heating not an issue
RAM: 4 GB is sufficient
HD: 250/320 GB sufficient
Optical Drive: Not required
Screen: Not required

I have a bare bones budget of 10k for the new system as it will only be used for watching HD movies and light gaming (like flight simulator). Heating won't be an issue as the home theatre is always air conditioned when in use.

Kindly suggest the components for my new system as well as a suitable GPU and SMPS for my rig.

Thanks in advance. :)

If I understand correctly, you have budget of approx 30K + salvage value of old GPU & PSU.

For GPU and PSU, I would suggest GTX 960 and Seasonic S12II 520.

If I understand correctly, you have budget of approx 30K + salvage value of old GPU & PSU.

For GPU and PSU, I would suggest GTX 960 and Seasonic S12II 520.

Thanks for your suggestion. I am talking about two systems here. I have a budget of 20k for the gpu and smps of my rig. I have a budget of 10k for an entirely new system in which I will be using my old gpu and smps taken out from the rig.I have the following questions:

1. I checked online prices and the GTX 960 ranges from anywhere between 16,000 to 21,000 for the 2 GB version. Is there a huge difference in the performance of the card based on the chipset provider? If yes, then which one do you suggest I should buy?

2. Seasonic S12II 520 is listed at 5,1350 on flikart. I am getting Corsair CX600 v2 for just 200 bucks more. Is the latter a better choice?

3. Can you please suggest a configuration for my new system within 10k?

1. I checked online prices and the GTX 960 ranges from anywhere between 16,000 to 21,000 for the 2 GB version. Is there a huge difference in the performance of the card based on the chipset provider? If yes, then which one do you suggest I should buy?
@Crapmypants can guide better here

2. Seasonic S12II 520 is listed at 5,1350 on flikart. I am getting Corsair CX600 v2 for just 200 bucks more. Is the latter a better choice?
I would suggest to stick to Seasonic one.

3. Can you please suggest a configuration for my new system within 10k?

I understood now that you would only need Proccy, mobo, RAM, HDD and case.
Intel G3240 ~4000
Asus H81M-C ~4000
Kingston HyperX Fury 4 GB DDR3 ~1900
Western Digital Blue WD5000AAKX 500 GB ~3350 or Seagate ST3320310CS 320GB ~1600
Local Case ~1000

Total ~14,250 or 12,500

They all perform withing 1 fps of each other so it doesn't matter between the different brands. Just make sure it's a dual fan solution.
go with the cheapest option as they are all adequately cooled and overclock well.
btw, the chip is the same across all the various makes (it's made in taiwan).
here's a decent one: http://www.ebay.in/itm/MSI-GeForce-...31441?hash=item3f52bc9991?aff_source=buyhatke
there is a thread on TE with ebay coupons/deals. the last post had a 10% off deal i think.
there are some holidays coming up so there may be more deals then.

i'd recommend the seasonic too as it's a better quality unit which is what you want in a psu. especially if you want to oc the gpu (and the 960 generally oc's well)

Sorry for the late reply. I was out of station and could not find time to follow this thread.

@Crapmypants can guide better here

I would suggest to stick to Seasonic one.

I understood now that you would only need Proccy, mobo, RAM, HDD and case.
Intel G3240 ~4000
Asus H81M-C ~4000
Kingston HyperX Fury 4 GB DDR3 ~1900
Western Digital Blue WD5000AAKX 500 GB ~3350 or Seagate ST3320310CS 320GB ~1600
Local Case ~1000

Total ~14,250 or 12,500

They all perform withing 1 fps of each other so it doesn't matter between the different brands. Just make sure it's a dual fan solution.
go with the cheapest option as they are all adequately cooled and overclock well.
btw, the chip is the same across all the various makes (it's made in taiwan).
here's a decent one: http://www.ebay.in/itm/MSI-GeForce-...31441?hash=item3f52bc9991?aff_source=buyhatke
there is a thread on TE with ebay coupons/deals. the last post had a 10% off deal i think.
there are some holidays coming up so there may be more deals then.

i'd recommend the seasonic too as it's a better quality unit which is what you want in a psu. especially if you want to oc the gpu (and the 960 generally oc's well)

I am finalising the following configuration:

Intel G3240
Asus H81M-C
4 GB RAM (Brand to be finalized during purchase)
500 GB HDD
Local Case or iBall
Corsair Cx430 (Old)

I will be buying only the PSU (Seasonic 520) for the rig as I have a relative coming over from USA this year and I'd rather ask him to get the GPU. I will go with either GTX 960 or 970.
Will the Seasonic PSU support 970 as well?

For GTX970 I would suggest to bump PSU to Seasonic S12 II 620. It retails for around 5600-6000.

I think s12ii 520 is enough for gtx 970 too and a bit of an overkill for 1080p ( for now)
Also cheapest gtx 970 will cost you what.. 23.5 K? I guess your budget was 20k for GPU + PSU, if budget is increased, well good luck and mention the increased budget also

Minimum 500W is stated for GTX970. S12 II 520 would be just there without much headroom; hence suggestion of S12 II 620. :)

I think s12ii 520 is enough for gtx 970 too and a bit of an overkill for 1080p ( for now)
Also cheapest gtx 970 will cost you what.. 23.5 K? I guess your budget was 20k for GPU + PSU, if budget is increased, well good luck and mention the increased budget also

Minimum 500W is stated for GTX970. S12 II 520 would be just there without much headroom; hence suggestion of S12 II 620. :)

Yes my budget was 20k. But I think that GTX 970 is a better suited option for me and I am going to bump up my budget for that. I also don't mind spending an extra 1k on 620 as I do not want any power issues later on.

I have someone coming over from USA and I will be asking him to get the GPU from there. The MSI version is costing me 349$. I can also ask him to get something extra of the same size. Any suggestions on as to what I should order so that I'm able to make a neat profit by selling it in India as it will go a long way in helping me finance the upgrade.

Please help me out guys! What should I order from USA that is not huge (no bigger than a Gpu box) and will sell for a decent price in India making me an extra 4-5k in the process. Iphone 6s is a candidate but its hard to get hold of even in USA right now.

Tryo to get something that has international warranty.
i believe amd/intel cpu's and evga's gpu line-up qualifies.

My GPU (GTX970) is on the way from US. I plan to give away HD 7750 to my cousin. So I was looking to buy a new GPU for my HTPC. I have GT 610 in mind. Will it be enough (Will only be used to watch movies in 720p-1080p with 7.1 audio)? I have also bought Deepcool Pangu V2 chasis for 3k at amazon lightning. Is this a good buy at the price? I can return it as I haven't yet received my order.

@vyral_143 Please pitch in :)

Last edited:
Yea, the panga at 3k looks like a great buy.
as for the htpc i think the onboard gpu should suffice for movies.

Sound will not be an issue with onboard HDMI? I am using a Denon 1911 with Paradigm Monitor 7 floorstanders and corresponding center, surrounds and PDR-10 woofer and I would like no compromise in the sound. I will only be playing movies with digital audio so going for a DAC/Sound card is out.

What's the damage and source? My parents are also in US and I'm planning get a GPU. Was waiting to see if I can get a Halloween deal on 950/960. Any other stuff you recommend?

I got Asus GTX 970 Strix for 340$ through amazon. It is almost 6k cheaper when compared to Indian prices. There is a huge saving on Iphone 6s (almost around 15-20k) if you manage to get one from USA. But the customs have become very strict regarding the same and the don't let phones pass through the green channel easily. So you explore the idea before asking your parents to get one. You can also exlpore Nvidia Shield and Alienware Alpha and see if any suits you.

I got Asus GTX 970 Strix for 340$ through amazon. It is almost 6k cheaper when compared to Indian prices. There is a huge saving on Iphone 6s (almost around 15-20k) if you manage to get one from USA. But the customs have become very strict regarding the same and the don't let phones pass through the green channel easily. So you explore the idea before asking your parents to get one. You can also exlpore Nvidia Shield and Alienware Alpha and see if any suits you.
My parents won't want any unnecessary hassle. What I had in mind is a GPU (950/960), a fossil/edifice chronograph and if I can source any deals on SSD/portable HDD. will look at your suggestions as well.

Back