Calling all Laptop Gurus.....[All in 1 thread]

pr.itdude

Disciple
Planning for a desktop replacement. :D
Budget 35K-36K (the lower, the better). --including bagpack

According to my specs requirement and based on reviews of users on different forums, i have shortlisted these :

:) Dell Inspiron 15R (T540605IN8) -- Rs. 35,900

:) Acer 5740G -- Rs. 36500 (source : npithub.com)

:) Lenovo IdeaPad Z560 [59-044906] -- Rs. 36,172

:) VAIO E-series VPCEB14EN/BI -- Rs. 38,990
Above are arranged in decreasing order of my priority. The specs of all the above lappies are almost same. Some minute + or - like chiclet keyboard or 2MP webcam etc. But yes, Lenovo one is with bagpack, dont know hows the quality though.

At the respective websites, NO goodies/accessories like bagpack were mentioned.

Now need help to cut down cost. And plz take some time answering these Q::S

1. Can i get these without the Win 7 OS ?
2. These all are online prices. Where to find these cheap or at discounted price?
3. Heard that Dell prices are fixed as shown online. Does Purchasing from a dealer increase chances of getting some accessories like bagpack ??
4. Is Acer 5740 G no more available ?? What about its heating issues ?? What about its ASS ??
5. This lenovo laptop is my latest found, just found it while creating this thread. Any reviews ??
It comes with Nvidia GeForce 310M 512 Mb. Read somewhere that its lower on quality than the ATI HD 5470. True ??
6. Any stores where i can get 2-2.5K discount on the last Sony machine ??
7. Which one of these is best for watching 720p movies ?? And sound quality is also a buying factor for me. Though, i m not a gamer but likes casual gaming such as NFS.

I am from Delhi :)

Personal user reviews are welcome. Any other suggestion with same configuration and budget are also welcome.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

*bump*

86 views and no reply, a lil strange :(

Acer 5740G is for Rs.34,800 at Np at some of the shops....

I guess its being discontinued now...

I would advise to go for Dell or you can opt for a HP dv6 series...

It looks awesome...and would cost you around 40K with 500Gb HDD,4Gb Ram and i3 processor

@m.khurana, thnx for ur reply

but HP is not in my list....and the budget is very strict.

I got to know that Lenovo comes with Nvidia GeForce 310M graphic card, which only supports Direct X 10.1. The ATI HD 5470 supports Direct X 11. I'm not a hardcore gamer, so if lenovo fits the bill more, would i neglect this minor issue ??

Need advice. :)

If you are getting the Acer 5740G, its a very good lappy and with a nice config. Infact i would say its the best config of the lot. However, on my friends Acer lappy, i had seen the touchpad go bad after a couple of years or so.

The Dell 15R config sounds pretty decent, but the Sony matches it neck to neck. Sound Quality from the Dell is good as my friend has it here. Never heard the Sony though.

If you are worried about after sales service, i would say go for Dell. It has the best ASS. If you want to go for a premium look, go for the Vaio.

I don't think you can buy these without the OS. And most of these (except the Acer i think) are coming with Windows 7 Basic, so you will anyway have to upgrade to Premium whichever you buy.

I own a Lenovo ideapad Y550 from US. it came with windows vista home premium. in india all companies do not give OS on all models. the volume of sound is a bit low compared to other laptops though its dolby certified. the power adaptor went faulty after a year and was immediately replaced across the counter. the hdd has started giving issues now (BSOD during boot) will go to service center this week to sort it out. they are helpful for hardware issues but charge for software issues. my webcam works depending on its mood and same with memory card reader. the build quality and battery is excellent and second to none. i use dell latitude in office and they are sturdy as hell but i cannot comment on inspiron. About Sony laptops , they come with targus backpack since my friend got it last week. the lowest price i got was from braintone mumbai. check out compareindia.in.com for their latest prices. i do not know about acer laptops. why dont you try ASUS. i am planning ASUS as my next buy. will do a bit of reseach about its ASS since they dont market it verywell here. last piece of advice is if you are not a gamer stick to intel or nvidia switchable graphics since the ati chips run hot and consume more power.

@clown_abhi, YES , DELL are giving Win 7 Home Basic 64 bit and extra Rs. 1729 for Home Premium.
Is there any big difference between both these OS's.... Can i simply format it as i have Win 7 Ultimate DVD :eek:hyeah:

Now VAIO is out of the league...can't expand the budget :no:

@m-jeri, no MSI dude....
i m concerned with sound quality of DELL....

Though, Lenovo is Dolby Certified, but i've always noticed their poor sound quality in spite of that. Can't say about this IdeaPad Z560 as they are promoting it as a multimedia lappie.

I had my mind with Acer earlier, but its discountinued, already checked Croma and electronic store. I may get this from 'Nehru Place', but
any one currently using it tell me abt its hoopla of "heating and faulty hardware issues" :S

@FOR ALL planning for Inspiron 15R
They've increased the price by Rs.500

^^

Why even bother about sound qlty from a laptop speakers. That should be the least concern when buying a laptop. :S.

maybe thats just me.

Lots of members here have bought MSI and all they have to say is MSI is very sturdy built.

@ pr.itdude .... a friend of mine just moved to delhi and he is looking to buy a laptop .... exact same requirements. can you help me out and list some local dealers so that i can pass on the information.

@m-jeri,

yeah, you may be right. But i used to watch movies with my friends....and really excited for 720p HD and dont want to spoil the fun with poor sound....

I m not expecting some surround blaster sound, just good enough to watch movies.

@paroxy, go to "Nehru Place" for any computer/laptop deal in delhi.

@teracore dude i wud love to buy this one......but do you really think it fit my budget :no:

Can anyone very frequent on TE take some pain and link here the personal reviews of any TE user, for any of the above lappies. :)

pr.itdude said:
@m-jeri,
yeah, you may be right. But i used to watch movies with my friends....and really excited for 720p HD and dont want to spoil the fun with poor sound....
I m not expecting some surround blaster sound, just good enough to watch movies.

@paroxy, go to "Nehru Place" for any computer/laptop deal in delhi.

@teracore dude i wud love to buy this one......but do you really think it fit my budget :no:

Can anyone very frequent on TE take some pain and link here the personal reviews of any TE user, for any of the above lappies. :)
Dell Inspiron15R comes with SRS premium sound and the feedback in TE is that its good. Check famous laptop review sites for indepth reviews,
LAPTOP Magazine - Product reviews, tech news, buying guides, and more
Laptop Reviews - Notebook Reviews and Netbook Computer News & Reviews
www.notebookcheck.net

Try searching TE for inspiron 15R and u would get relvent links.

P.S: If u want better sound then why not buy a Logitech 2.1 R20 and rock the house. They are pretty cheap. Just ~Rs.850 in NP.

Hey dude check out MSi laptops they are giving 2 yrs warranty ..even I am planning to buy one . Dont Buy HP ..I dont recommend it..damn I have it and warranty is a pain in ass..

UPDATE:

Went to N.P today, checked a lots of models.

1. Now the DELL costs around 39K (but with 1yr accidental cover and bagpack).

2. Acer 5740G completely discontinued. You won't find it even in N.P. There are two models successor and predecessor of it:

Acer 5740 -> 30.2K (w/o graphic card)

Acer 5745 -> 45-47 K (i5/4GB/500GB/ati 1GB graphic)

3. Lenovo Ideapad z560 -> 36.3K (with MTS Prepaid data card and the traditional carry case)

but its with DOS.

Sound quality is pretty good. I'm satisfied. Have metalic finish. chicklet keypad.
Now the war is b/w Lenovo and DELL completely.

Tommorow i'll visit some big showrooms, heard that JUMBO Electronics in Gurgaon (NCR) gives a competitive deal.

I am leaning towards Lenovo now....lets c wat'll b the final deal. Any suggestions guyz......hurry up !! :)

P.S : An authorized Gateway showroom dealer tried to net me with a Gateway lappy with following config.:

C2D 2.2GHz/3GB/320GB/512MB ati/15.6 HDWLED -> 37K

Now the goodies he offered me one after another to convince me to purchase it immediately:

A HP Printer (don't now the model, guess won't cost anyway >2K), headset, mouse and a usb cleaner.

But that C2D is killing me....and don't know hows the ASS of Gateway in india.

Back