Android Calling all Redmi Note 3 users

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
After long time I am starting a thread on TE :p

I am using Redmi Note 3 since a year now. Initially battery life was excellent with SoT easily touching 8 hours over 1.5 days with stock Android 5 firmware (I think MIUI 7.2.5 or 7.3.x). After MIUI 8 (based on Android 6), this had gone to low of 4-5 hours SoT over a day or less. From here I moved to custom ROMs for better battery life. I have used Lineage and Resurrection Remix for 6 months now, with Resurrection Remix turning out better of two. In between, I had to flash Global Dev/Beta ROM to get some modem firmware updated. In all three ROMs, I manage to get 5 (or 5.5 at the max) hours SoT in just under a day.

On all my custom ROMs, I root them, block ads using AdAway and use Greenify for hibernating apps.

My usage is pretty high but consistent. I mainly use WhatsApp extensively (approx 2-3 hours a day), Firefox browser (shifted from Chrome as it was keeping CPU awake for long time) (approx an hour), default E-Mail app with manual synch, Clash of Clans (approx 30 mins to an hour), Parallel Space (tried with removing this app for a week but results are same) and some other casual apps which I use seldom. All my accounts have synch off. Brightness is controlled manually. I am always on 3G network and use data network for roughly 1 hour each day at max. Rest of time I am on WiFi at work and home. No Bluetooth, GPS or any other sensor.

I do not know why there is this huge (for me it is) difference in battery life in a year. I would like to know from fellow Redmi Note 3 users about which ROMs they are using and what is their experience.

Yep battery degradation is a real issue. I used to easily get two days of usage earlier. Now I have to charge daily.

This is why I still have not moved to MIUI 8. I am still on 7.3.Have not tried Custom ROM yet as many bank related apps have blocked rooted phones.

The drop in battery life in my case was due to Jio 4G service. There was a Vodafone booster tower beside my office building whereas Jio coverage was pretty bad. From battery life of 1.5 days, it dropped to 1 day. Previously I used to carry a mobile charger and lent it out to colleagues as I never needed to charge in office. But since I started using Jio, I have had to snatch back my charger almost everyday.

I haven't updated from Santosh's CM 13 that I had installed last year when I had got the phone.
I used to get 8-9hrs on normal browsing on Wi-fi and 6-7 hrs when playing games.
Am still getting the same 6hrs of SoT when playing CoC the whole day and that too on Jio 4g instead of Wifi. So for me, battery degradation isn't that bad.

This is why I still have not moved to MIUI 8. I am still on 7.3.Have not tried Custom ROM yet as many bank related apps have blocked rooted phones.

The drop in battery life in my case was due to Jio 4G service. There was a Vodafone booster tower beside my office building whereas Jio coverage was pretty bad. From battery life of 1.5 days, it dropped to 1 day. Previously I used to carry a mobile charger and lent it out to colleagues as I never needed to charge in office. But since I started using Jio, I have had to snatch back my charger almost everyday.

Can I request to have specific version number of 7.3? If it works for one day using Jio, it should be much better for me if hardware is okay. Also what's your SoT?

I haven't updated from Santosh's CM 13 that I had installed last year when I had got the phone.
I used to get 8-9hrs on normal browsing on Wi-fi and 6-7 hrs when playing games.
Am still getting the same 6hrs of SoT when playing CoC the whole day and that too on Jio 4g instead of Wifi. So for me, battery degradation isn't that bad.

Noted. I am going to update Resurrection Remix today to latest available which happens to be an official one and not nightly, and observe behavior.

Can I request to have specific version number of 7.3? If it works for one day using Jio, it should be much better for me if hardware is okay. Also what's your SoT?
Mine is even older than that. MIUI v7.2.3
Is there any place in MIUI where I can see the SoT?

b1e67cb356743b37b56372a5a834634b.jpg

In settings -> battery -> battery usage. Tap on hardware on top. This is what I remember, not sure if it has changed.
I already started charging my phone. So I am not sure if the number shown there reflects the actual time.
Currently it is showing 7h 30min.
My battery was down to 2%. Now it is already charged to 77%. Did not use the phone while charging.

I already started charging my phone. So I am not sure if the number shown there reflects the actual time.
Currently it is showing 7h 30min.
My battery was down to 2%. Now it is already charged to 77%. Did not use the phone while charging.
Generally this number is noted after using phone till 5-10% battery level post one full charge. Note that charging in between doesn't reflect true number. Thanks for all info though. :)

This may be unrelated, but MIUI 8 might be heavy on the battery vs 7 - a friend with a Redmi 3S whom I recently updated mentioned the same to me. But VoLTE does not work properly on MIUI 7.

@Julian
Not sure about Redmi 3S but have never faced any problem with VoLTE calling on Redmi Note 3. There is only one issue which is that it shows Call Ended on calling numbers via Jio. If phone is restarted, this issue goes away. Other than this I have not seen any issue.

This may be unrelated, but MIUI 8 might be heavy on the battery vs 7 - a friend with a Redmi 3S whom I recently updated mentioned the same to me. But VoLTE does not work properly on MIUI 7.

Yes, that's why i haven't upgraded to it so far. Volte works fine for me. 2nd sim is vodafone. Just this occasional volte-wifi bug. Not a big enough deal for me to upgrade really. I also held of upgrading my 2 prime for the same reasons.[DOUBLEPOST=1502127849][/DOUBLEPOST]My biggest gripe with the redmi 3s, over all the bugs etc. is the useless speakerphone. Unless you're in a soundproof room, you can't hear sh!t. Have to do that weird thing where you hold the phone to your year, you know, like the regular goddamn earpiece!

Last edited by a moderator:
After all hoopla, I eneded up on MIUI Global Beta 7.7.20. Battery life is bit better on this. I keep battery saver ON though for all time. With gaming time cut to half, SoT goes for 7.5 hours over standby of a day and some hours.

With same game time it lasts 30 mins more at the max.

Back