Can 43" Full HD Smart TV used as Monitor ?

Since Past 6 months, I am using Acer 32" FHD Monitor - Having Only One HDMI and "No Audio OUT (3.5mm jack)". Facing issue of Switching Audio Video every time to view TV.

My Need as computer for 4-6 hours (No Gaming).

Shall I go for 43 FHD TV or 32" Monitor with Dual HDMI & 3.5" Audio Out jack. Please Suggest me.

Narrowed the below with 2 years extended warranty

Or

Waiting for Dear Members Suggestions

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
Facing issue of Switching Audio Video every time to view TV.
You can disable HDMI audio (NVIDIA High Definition Audio in my case) by going to "Manage sound devices" in "Sound settings." Once that is done, you won't need to change audio devices every time you boot. Alternatively, you can also change the default device in "Sound" control panel so that the computer will boot up with the default source selected. Attaching a picture of both the windows mentioned for reference, since I too have the same issue for a VGA monitor I use (through HDMI).

Attachments

• 1634521573160.png
    1634521573160.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 1634521703414.png
    1634521703414.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 74
It's actually a bad idea to use TV as monitors. Using a big size TV as a screen can be done. But there are several disadvantages. I am assuming that you must be using the computer to work on some form of data. Texts and spreadsheet DONT look so crisp on a TV due to low DPI. TV will produce a lot of strain on your eyes in the long run.

Also there will be quite a lag in everything you do. Normally TV do a lot of video processing to enhance the picture quality, which of course is not that relevant while watching movies or series. However even with game mode on there will be significant lag on TV. Monitors on the other hand have less than 5 ms lag on them.

My suggestion is to use your existing Full HD monitor. And as suggested by @Stronk change the default audio device.

You can disable HDMI audio (NVIDIA High Definition Audio in my case) by going to "Manage sound devices" in "Sound settings." Once that is done, you won't need to change audio devices every time you boot. Alternatively, you can also change the default device in "Sound" control panel so that the computer will boot up with the default source selected. Attaching a picture of both the windows mentioned for reference, since I too have the same issue for a VGA monitor I use (through HDMI).
When using with computer, audio cable from cpu to speakers will be connected. When you connect to Set Top Box (TV) Have to Change Audio and Video cables
Waiting for a member's remark who is using / tried TV as monitor

I use a 32 inch jvc and a 43 inch vu 4k tv as a monitor . Lower dpi in 32 inch TV's which are not full hd is a problem . But full hd TV's and 4k TV's not much of a problem . But honestly a regular monitor is the best when working on the computer , for gaming and consuming media I guess TV's are fine . Also on my 32 inch HD ready tv windows automatically blows the font , scale etc to 150% , whereas on my 4k tv or my monitor it leaves the scale at a default 100%.

I use a 32 inch jvc and a 43 inch vu 4k tv as a monitor . Lower dpi in 32 inch TV's which are not full hd is a problem . But full hd TV's and 4k TV's not much of a problem . But honestly a regular monitor is the best when working on the computer , for gaming and consuming media I guess TV's are fine . Also on my 32 inch HD ready tv windows automatically blows the font , scale etc to 150% , whereas on my 4k tv or my monitor it leaves the scale at a default 100%.
Thank you sir, now i have to look for 4K TV

If you work on the PC a lot, then getting a monitor is ideal. However, if your primary usage is TV and PC usage is occasional, ot PC usage is for gaming/movies, then using TV as monitor should be fine.

However, for the size of 43", I would not recommend full HD. Since you sit close to the TV while using a PC, the image will look pixelated. You should definitely go for 4k at this size.

Also, if the TV has a sharpness setting, make sure you lower it somewhat. Look at text while changing the settings and see where text looks best. You should also reduce any post processing done by the TV like reducing motion blur, noise reduction, etc. Turn these settings to low or off.

If you work on the PC a lot, then getting a monitor is ideal. However, if your primary usage is TV and PC usage is occasional, ot PC usage is for gaming/movies, then using TV as monitor should be fine.

However, for the size of 43", I would not recommend full HD. Since you sit close to the TV while using a PC, the image will look pixelated. You should definitely go for 4k at this size.

Also, if the TV has a sharpness setting, make sure you lower it somewhat. Look at text while changing the settings and see where text looks best. You should also reduce any post processing done by the TV like reducing motion blur, noise reduction, etc. Turn these settings to low or off.
Thanks a lot to conclude. Your Right Sir, I will go for Normal Smart TV and Retain Acer 32" Monitor. Once again Thanks a lot to all the members.

When using with computer, audio cable from cpu to speakers will be connected. When you connect to Set Top Box (TV) Have to Change Audio and Video cables
Waiting for a member's remark who is using / tried TV as monitor
Ah my bad, I thought you were using the TV separately as a monitor only. Yes in your case then the single HDMI port is the limiting factor, and unless you are okay with purchasing a HDMI switcher/KVM switch, best to upgrade. Good luck with the monitor hunt!

Thank you sir, now i have to look for 4K TV
If you are getting above 40 inches then please go for 4k as fullHD is insufficient for that size.

Another suggestion, do read the reviews for your use. When you want to use a TV with computer, you'll have to use it 'gaming' mode for lagless experience. However, on many TVs, colours are shite on gaming mode as there's no post processing involved. Do check reviews for that.

If you are getting above 40 inches then please go for 4k as fullHD is insufficient for that size.

Another suggestion, do read the reviews for your use. When you want to use a TV with computer, you'll have to use it 'gaming' mode for lagless experience. However, on many TVs, colours are shite on gaming mode as there's no post processing involved. Do check reviews for that.
no gaming

no gaming
I think you misunderstood. It has nothing to do with computer gaming. A TV has multiple video modes like Movie, News, Music, Standard, Custom, Gaming etc.

Gaming mode doesn't lag. So if you move mouse, you'll see cursor moving instanously. If you are using this mode then colours/contrast get crappy.
Other mods have some lag. If you move mouse, you'll have to wait a second to see movement on the screen. You get best colour a tv has to offer in these modes and normally you are using a TV in these modes when it's not hooked up to a computer.

This is the biggest difference between TVs and Computer monitors. TV lag by nature (as they do some post processing) unless you are using it in gaming mode.

When you finalize your TV to use with computer, go to a TV showroom and run that model in Gaming/zero lag mode to see how much you'll be compromising on the colours.

I think you misunderstood. It has nothing to do with computer gaming. A TV has multiple video modes like Movie, News, Music, Standard, Custom, Gaming etc.

Gaming mode doesn't lag. So if you move mouse, you'll see cursor moving instanously. If you are using this mode then colours/contrast get crappy.
Other mods have some lag. If you move mouse, you'll have to wait a second to see movement on the screen. You get best colour a tv has to offer in these modes and normally you are using a TV in these modes.

This is the biggest difference between TVs and Computer monitors. TV lag by nature (as they do some post processing) unless you are using it in gaming mode.

When you finalize your TV to use with computer, go to a TV showroom and run that model in Gaming/zero lag mode to see how much you'll be compromising on the colours.
This is the exactly the thing that I was talking about. There is always a lag on TV. Not a whole second of lag, but noticeable lag is there. Even with game mode on there is always a lag on TVs.

For media consumption it does not matter. But for day to day activities on a PC the lag soon becomes irritating.
But at the end of the day, it's OP's call if he can live with a TV. I use a full HD monitor for general activities on PC and a 40 inch TV for Movies etc both being connected to the same CPU.

Even with game mode on there is always a lag on TVs.
I have not used gaming mode extensively but holy cow.

That's like driving a car whose front wheels lag behind steering input. I'll rather walk.
Linus of LTT doesn't tell us about these things. Maybe because there's no lag on his $10k TV.

@gcbeldar: take a laptop to TV showroom and check it directly before ordering yourself a new TV.

But at the end of the day, it's OP's call if he can live with a TV.
I personally can't use TV for another reason. I sometimes have to do some photoshop work. And TV by default doesn't show neutral colours which make bad choice for such works.

I have not used gaming mode extensively but holy cow.

That's like driving a car whose front wheels lag behind steering input. I'll rather walk.
Linus of LTT doesn't tell us about these things. Maybe because there's no lag on his $10k TV.

@gcbeldar: take a laptop to TV showroom and check it directly before ordering yourself a new TV.

I personally can't use TV for another reason. I sometimes have to do some photoshop work. And TV by default doesn't show neutral colours which make bad choice for such works.

Linus has a spare OLED TVs and few RTX 3090 lying here and there...;) SO of course, his case is different.

But for mere mortals like us, the story is different.

yes, you can use a 43" 4k TV for daily use but don't expect very crisp texts and spreadsheet as joy das said but it's not very noticeable difference here.
I am using both LG and VU and latency is like in between 10-14ms for both the TV's.
For daily usage like browsing and watching movies and a bit MS office it's not a problem.
43" 4k monitors are available with all that gamers G- sync etc with minimum lag but price is almost 3 times.

We need to adjust the picture mode to GAME or SPORTS then TV auto adjusts for minimum latency and also disables the other features like denoiser, picture enhancer etc.
Also need to adjust color temperature, contrast, brightness etc to achieve best results for picture quality.
Using 43" 4K since almost last 2 years and I don't feel any issue may be I 've calibrated myself. sometimes a bit lag is there but it could be my wireless mouse and Keyboard.

A little bit of comparision of both - VU43PM & and old LG UK6360
Picture quality - VU > LG (almost similar but VU has slight edge here , VA panel has better contrast and deep blacks)
Latency - VU = LG (not measured but feels the same)
Speaker sound - LG >> VU (VU is ok but LG is very good)
Customer Support - LG >> VU (pathetic support from VU, 3yrs warranty is a joke) see this is happening, RMA still in progress

You can't go wrong with a LG or Samsung 43" 4k TV priced approx. 36-40K
Vu is also OK if budget is a constraint. other hisense panels are good too but I've not seen personally.

Last edited:
Back