Can all ram sticks fail together?

Hey guys. I have an old system (i5 4440) which I boot up occassionally for running virtual machines. It was working fine from years and all of the sudden it stopped working.

System is showing power but there are 3 beeps when it tries to boot. I suspect the ram sticks have gone kaput. I wonder how can all 4 ram sticks go kaput in one go. I tried with individual ram sticks running in different slot yet the same beeps. Not sure how to debug this?

Thank you

Look up your motherboard's manual/support website online and see what the 3 beeps mean, it should have a table of error codes signified by beeps on boot failure.
It says memory error. Memory not locked, incompatible or bad memory. I have ensured the memories are tightly locked into the slots, it's compatible and have tested for bad memory by just using one stick.

Edit: I don't have any spare ddr3 ram to test.

May be RAM slots are the culprit. Try these sticks on different motherboard. I once mistakenly bent one cpu socket pin while cleaning and one RAM slot became undetectable.

May be RAM slots are the culprit. Try these sticks on different motherboard. I once mistakenly bent one cpu socket pin while cleaning and one RAM slot became undetectable.
I don't have another DDR3 system to test. I will use compress air on the ram slots and test.

Edit: Cleaning the ram slots with compressed air stopped the beeps. But am still not getting display.

Last edited:
I don't have another DDR3 system to test. I will use compress air on the ram slots and test.

Edit: Cleaning the ram slots with compressed air stopped the beeps. But am still not getting display.
Reset cmos. I've had strange issues like that on my z77 board in the past.

Probably the CPU's memory controller is kaput.
I think so. A friend suggested to check if cpu pins are bent or this may be due to moisture.

Another system psu failed today. What a bad luck! 2 systems going down in a day.
If you are based in Navi Mumbai, you can use my spare DDR3 RAM sticks to test.
Do you have a single 8GB/16GB DDR3 spare ram for me to purchase? I will put the maximum capacity in one slot which is working.

Last edited:
Another system psu failed today. What a bad luck! 2 systems going down in a day.

Do you have a single 8GB/16GB DDR3 spare ram for me to purchase? I will put the maximum capacity in one slot which is working.
Damn thats horrible luck.

Single 16 GB DDR3 sticks are super rare and they made ECC ones only if I remember correctly.

I think you will have to settle for a single 8 GB stick.

Back