An UPI ID that doesn't reveal my name or phone number

dpandey

Adept
Hi Everyone,

I currently use google pay as my UPI app. Every time I make a payment, I end up disclosing my gmail id (which, unfortunately, is also my name). While OK most of the times, there are times when I would like to keep my personal info secret.

I was wondering if there is a UPI app that allows custom UPI ID (or issues an obscure one)?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I currently use google pay as my UPI app. Every time I make a payment, I end up disclosing my gmail id (which, unfortunately, is also my name). While OK most of the times, there are times when I would like to keep my personal info secret.

I was wondering if there is a UPI app that allows custom UPI ID (or issues an obscure one)?

Thanks
Mine never discloses my email but the account name I gave to my Google account.

I am pretty sure that when someone receives payment, they get to see the legal name of the person per bank records. For example, I just looked at a payment I received from a friend for splitting a restaurant bill, it has his full name with an additional annotation "(HDFC Bank)" in the transaction history section. So this information disclosure is unavoidable.

I don't know if the same thing is true for payment to businesses, but I once received a call from an ice cream shop saying that they accidentally under-charged me, and will I please send them the extra payment. They must have gotten my phone number from the UPI transaction history.

You can use BHIM if you don't want to reveal your email address. I don't know of any way to hide your real name as it is automatically mapped to the name on the bank account linked to UPI.

I am pretty sure that when someone receives payment, they get to see the legal name of the person per bank records. For example, I just looked at a payment I received from a friend for splitting a restaurant bill, it has his full name with an additional annotation "(HDFC Bank)" in the transaction history section. So this information disclosure is unavoidable.
Thanks. I can live with my name being shared. My problem is contact info. I do not want them be to be able to contact me (except thru the app).

I don't know if the same thing is true for payment to businesses, but I once received a call from an ice cream shop saying that they accidentally under-charged me, and will I please send them the extra payment. They must have gotten my phone number from the UPI transaction history.
I can live with businesses having my contact info. More worried about individuals who I have to pay sometimes.
You can use BHIM if you don't want to reveal your email address. I don't know of any way to hide your real name as it is automatically mapped to the name on the bank account linked to UPI.
Thanks. Any idea if the recipient can see the phone number?

Last edited:
Nearly every bank account I have allow entering your own ID. PhonePe still does. PayTM used to but now they use other banks and see to have defaulted to using the phone number, though my old customized one is still active.

Back