Can I get some recommendations for good women's perfumes?

Santa Maria!

Disciple
I want to get some perfumes for my mom for her birthday.
She's not super picky... far from it actually.
I want some recommendations for ladies' perfumes that are long lasting and not ridiculously expensive (eg. 5k+ per bottle).
I am planning to buy online due to time constraints. Should I be worried about fakes?
Hoping for some good recommendations based on your experiences.

Last edited:
Avoid sites. Go to a mall and get the sales girls to help you. Look at Burberry/YSL. I think Chanel will be out of your budget.

I want to get some perfumes for my mom for her birthday.
She's not super picky... far from it actually.
Tricky, because she has to like it.

Take some blotting paper, cut it in strips, write down the name on the back, let them dab something differnt on each strip, take strips to your mother and ask her to pick the one she likes best.

There is a complication here, perfume has to mix with skin oil to know what the final result is like. Blotting paper does not do that.

Tricky, because she has to like it.

Take some blotting paper, cut it in strips, write down the name on the back, let them dab something differnt on each strip, take strips to your mother and ask her to pick the one she likes best.

There is a complication here, perfume has to mix with skin oil to know what the final result is like. Blotting paper does not do that.

The blotting paper thing is a great idea (despite the drawback you mentioned). I might do that next time I go out.
But I'm still open to more recs on brands you guys have had success with. (again, even though perfumes have a very subjective appeal).

When i was in the UK, they did this in the shops. Thing is the perfume has to mix with the oil, usually on the underarm and its only like a few minutes later you actually know what it will be like. it a slow tedious process and you can't do more than a few before your senses get overwhelmed.

I don't know how good salesgirls are here, when i was looking for mosituriser, i made the mistake of asking them to help. Next thing i know i've got five of them rubbbing expensive stuff on my arms. I managed to break away bend down a bit, locate a bottle of vaseline and ran out the shop. VFM and did the job.

if your mother isn't super picky, and this is an intensely personal thing maybe a perfume isn't the best thing to get her.

Gift her a perfume and a watch.
Ask her which flower smell she like like jasmine etc and get a perfume which has that particular fragrance notes in it. Or if possible get her a Seiko watch. Seiko has lots of really cool ladies watches. I don't know if they will cost below 5k though.

Appreciate the suggestions, guys. She already has quite a few watches (lots received as gifts over the years).
@blkrb0t, seems a good suggestion. She currently has a different one from Elizabeth Arden and she liked that one, so this one has a good chance. I'll add it to my shortlist.

A smaller bottle of guerlain shalimar or shalimar parfum initial. There are many versions of this guerlain.
For quality, you can't go wrong with guerlain. Dior and Chanel are also good, a step below guerlain IMO. Get the smaller quantity if it fits your budget.

A smaller bottle of guerlain shalimar or shalimar parfum initial. There are many versions of this guerlain.
For quality, you can't go wrong with guerlain. Dior and Chanel are also good, a step below guerlain IMO. Get the smaller quantity if it fits your budget.
Yep had gifted my mom a bottle of guerlain insolence a few years ago and to this day she says that is the best perfume she has used and has managed to preserve some of it :p. These are a cut above Burberry Dior and Chanel .

Guerlain has a lot of classics like jicky, mitsouko, samsara, shalimar etc. A fragrance house with a very rich history.
If one has plenty of dough to spend, one should try their niche range, like tonka imperiale, spiriteuese double vanille, bois d'armanie. Marvelous house :)
The only other good designer houses are Chanel, Dior and Hermes. Rest, frankly are not up to the mark (with exceptions of course)
Of course I'm not including any of the brilliant niche houses, since they're not available in India anyway. We're left with no option other than these designer houses :(
Anyhow, sorry I got carried away. Didnt intend to steer away from the topic :)

Yep had gifted my mom a bottle of guerlain insolence a few years ago and to this day she says that is the best perfume she has used and has managed to preserve some of it :p. These are a cut above Burberry Dior and Chanel .

Last edited:
Back