Can I use Huawei WA1003a as wireless router

Hi guys. Please excuse me if a thread exists on this before and if a thread exists please merge it with that.

I have a huawei wa1003a wireless modem connected to bsnl broadband. I have win xp desktop connected to the modem by lan cable. and a vista laptop connected to the modem wirelessly. Can i network the desktop and laptop wirelessly using the modem and share files between them. Do let me know if its possible or not, and if possible, how.

TIA. :)

Its easy. First run your desktop xp. Go to network setup wizard. Select "other" option. Then select "This computer connects directly/ through a hub (1st option)". Give computer description and name. Give workgroup name. Turn on file and printer sharing. Finish the setup. Reboot pc. Then manually select what folders/drives you want to be visible on your laptop.

Now Run Vista laptop. Go to network settings and turn on home networking and file and printer sharing. I can't really remember the settings coz I don't have my laptop right now but its pretty simple. Now go to my network places and your desktop should be visible there.

arjun123 said:
Its easy. First run your desktop xp. Go to network setup wizard. Select "other" option. Then select "This computer connects directly/ through a hub (1st option)". Give computer description and name. Give workgroup name. Turn on file and printer sharing. Finish the setup. Reboot pc. Then manually select what folders/drives you want to be visible on your laptop.

Now Run Vista laptop. Go to network settings and turn on home networking and file and printer sharing. I can't really remember the settings coz I don't have my laptop right now but its pretty simple. Now go to my network places and your desktop should be visible there.

Thanks for the reply. :) Are you also using the huwaei wa1003a modem.

If you can post the setting of the vista laptop, it will be of great help. Will try what you have posted, in the meantime and report the results.

EDIT: The desktop is visible on the vista laptop wirelessly using the huawei modem, but from the laptop, i am not able to open the desktop, it says access denied. The same error was encountered when i networked the desktop and laptop using a cross cable. I have shared the folders manually and also chosen the share files and printer option, but still not able to open the desktop. Whereas, i am able to access the vista laptop from the xp desktop. Please guide me in this regard.

Back