Storage Solutions Can i use SATA Hard drive Externally without any case

prasanth11

Disciple
i want to purchase a a SATA internal Hard drive ,i'm thinking to connect to my Egreat Product to watch Hi-def files

Does Hard disc produce Noise or too much Heat when used naked ( i mean without any case ) and Does it really go kaput if its gets exposed to dust,which cant be prevented when its place outside

1st of all tell me what is egreat product and how its possible to connect a sata INT hdd to it . Does that product offer direct sata hdd connectivity ?

IMO, its better to have a INT hdd setup in an enclosure since its vulnerable to shocks, dusts, etc...

anfjavid said:
1st of all tell me what is egreat product and how its possible to connect a sata INT hdd to it . Does that product offer direct sata hdd connectivity ?

IMO, its better to have a INT hdd setup in an enclosure since its vulnerable to shocks, dusts, etc...

Egreat product is a HD media player here which can output HD movies upto 1080p
I use Egreat R1,it has 2usb ports,esata port and Direct SATA port (which also supplies power,both SATA and Power cable are connected from player to HDD)
By connecting to SATA interface u can access internal HDD as Ext HDD for player..its econimical:clap::clap:

ok but arent u gonna risk your sata disk just attaching to it directly??:ashamed:
it will then definitely catch more dust and what not!! It may fall or might get shock or anything bad can happen. Better and the SAFEST route is using a usb casing. You can then connect it to your players usb and really enjoy the movies WORRY FREE!:p

P.S: Do not try to treat your sata disk like a regular pen drive even though your player has that facility.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the same risk of falling or mishandling present with the HDD case too with the HDD inside it.

And regarding dust, it shouldn't be an issue considering how much dust accumulates in pretty much every PC cabinets.

On the other hand an HDD case would be more aesthetic compared to the bare HDD itself.

lastguyonthenet said:
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the same risk of falling or mishandling present with the HDD case too with the HDD inside it.

And regarding dust, it shouldn't be an issue considering how much dust accumulates in pretty much every PC cabinets.

On the other hand an HDD case would be more aesthetic compared to the bare HDD itself.

I'm preferring bare HDD option,because no extra power cables are needed,just we can carry HDD and plug to player,and it will work
if i add case,it would need an powers supply cable extra
I mean to ask does it affect HDD in anyway

I am not aware of any issue but you better take care of the PCB at the bottom of the HDD while handling/placing it.

Maybe someone who has used it as such will weigh in with their opinion.

@prasanth11:

if you are so much curious to use it that way then place the harddisk on some newspaper or a book. Thus it will be safe in some sorts at least.

&

@lastguyonthenet:

yeah the risks still remains but if suppose your disk is about to fall and you manage to somehow hold it in place, in this case it is better not to touch the pcb (which you cant restrict) and thus may cause some issues if any. So using casing actually protects your disks in more than one way.

If you can keep the hard disk safe from dust (main enemy) then you should not have any other issues.

What about the heat generated while accessing the hard disk? In normal towers the hard disk would have support only in the sides.

Back