Can my home inverter be used as a PC UPS?

nsas02

Disciple
Hello folks,

Currently I have a home Inverter setup (150Ah tubular battery + Luminous Inverter) and my PC (+ modem, TV, Home Theater) is connected to this along with fans and lights throughout the house. During power-cuts this acts as backup and have been very helpful during these wfh days and I haven't faced any interruption during main power ON and OFF. Now, I'm shifting to a new house where we have generator backup (which takes few mins to start, I guess) so I might no longer need this home inverter. I was thinking to take this inverter setup and use it exclusively for PC, rather than buying a separate UPS for PC, since the Inverter battery is only 1 year old.

- I want to understand if my home inverter can be used exclusively for PC or this will cause any harm in long-run?
- Or can I keep the battery, change only the Inverter (to some UPS + Inverter models?!!) - something like this and use it only for PC?
- I did see few youtube videos on using Home Inverter as PC UPS but I still am not clear on this.

Any help on this is appreciated.

You will realise the problems with a lack of inverter after moving to the new building. E.g. watching a movie/show/match. The few minutes taken by turning on the generator will make you miss the crucial moments. Unless it is a high end generator in your building, the generator current will be unstable for a while so equipment will turn on and off until the current stabilizes. This will again be irritating.

Ask the new building administration about guidelines to install inverter, and do it with their advice. Electrical setups in buildings have their quirks, it is best to ask in advance.

You will realise the problems with a lack of inverter after moving to the new building. E.g. watching a movie/show/match. The few minutes taken by turning on the generator will make you miss the crucial moments. Unless it is a high end generator in your building, the generator current will be unstable for a while so equipment will turn on and off until the current stabilizes. This will again be irritating.

Ask the new building administration about guidelines to install inverter, and do it with their advice. Electrical setups in buildings have their quirks, it is best to ask in advance.
thanks man. I do not plan to install inverter for the whole house. I'm just planning to use the existing inverter just for PC.

Did you install the inverter as UPS? I am currently in a similar situation. Which model did you go with?
No man. I sold it off along with my PC :) and replaced it with a gaming lappy. So inverter is not required for me. As far as my gathered knowledge, you can use your home inverted as UPS, but you need to ensure that your inverter can be used as UPS (I hope you understand the difference) which will switch to Battery mode with very less latency, in case of a power failure. You can read more on this before deciding.

thanks man. I do not plan to install inverter for the whole house. I'm just planning to use the existing inverter just for PC.
i dont see any reason for not putting inverter to the same use in the new house as your old house. Ex. TVs can get affected due to voltage fluctuations and warranty wont cover that.

To get the best protection, i suggest to keep your existing inverter and use it in the same manner in the new house as well. Generators wont protect against voltage fluctations but an inverter does.

i dont see any reason for not putting inverter to the same use in the new house as your old house. Ex. TVs can get affected due to voltage fluctuations and warranty wont cover that.

To get the best protection, i suggest to keep your existing inverter and use it in the same manner in the new house as well. Generators wont protect against voltage fluctations but an inverter does.
Thanks man. But thats a old message and the damage is already done. New house has Generators backup. So they do not have provision for installing Inverters. So my dad was against the idea of doing additional wiring for Inverter and additional headache was the inverter placement. Since the community comes with Generator backup, builder did not even think of Inverter/Battery placement, hence no proper/ventilated place to install them.

Did you install the inverter as UPS? I am currently in a similar situation.
Regular inverters work a bit differently than UPS. UPS don't have switchover from AC to batteries like inverters so there's never any lag. Inverters have switchover and hence there's some delay to resume power. If the SMPS in your PC has a fat capacitor and you're not doing anything computer intensive work then your computer won't notice this small discontinuation of the power.

Some Inverters can be used specifically as UPS as well. I have a microtek inverter ( I guess) with two 150A batteries and when I bought it, the person who came to install it told me that there hasn't been any wiring done for the inverter so he plugged my PC in the inverter for a few days until I got the wiring done. Faced no issue

Some Inverters can be used specifically as UPS as well. I have a microtek inverter ( I guess) with two 150A batteries and when I bought it, the person who came to install it told me that there hasn't been any wiring done for the inverter so he plugged my PC in the inverter for a few days until I got the wiring done. Faced no issue
Same. My inverter also powered my PC without any delays. But no where it read that its an UPS. So i suggest to use something that specifically says UPS

is it pure sine wave inverter? link?

Yes You can use an Inverter as UPS provided the Inverter You have has a UPS mode, also make sure you have a good PSU on your PC. A sinewave inverter works best for PC.

yes i agree on that, i personally have been using a sinewave inverter exclusively for pc for almost 3 years now and i have faced zero issues, use to check the battery water level every 4 months and that is it.

Back