Can someone help me with this business communication question?

suarezian

Lord Escanor
Adept
You have been invited to give noonday speech before 100 businesumen in one of the reputed hotel. After you have spoken 15 minutes one of the local civic organizations that meet weekly begins its song in adjacent room. The music is loud and distracting.
a. Should you end your speech abruptly, wait for a while and continue.
b. Should you say anything about a problem? If so, what?
c. if you were the chairman, what you would do?

The answer is C.

First, love the thought of being a chairman of anything.

Second, you can sack/reprimand the person(s) who scheduled this event because apparently that noisy meeting is every week and they should have known about it and planned the speech appropriately.

But for the immediate situation at hand, I got no clue, I would probably start to sweat, stammer and stutter through the rest of the speech.

a) Anyone caught unaware would take a pause. Ask the audience if music is not too loud and if they can still hear the speaker ... continue. But at the same time, ask the organisers to send someone to request lower the volume.
b) same as above
c) same as above, except I will ask someone from my staff to see what can be done.

Hahahaha! :D

This has happened to me (though I was not a Chairman!) when I was addressing an important meeting.

It wasn't a meeting in the adjacent room though... It was some party and the DJ was testing the system at full volume!

I just smiled at my audience and said "Well, the party has started next door... If you find this session boring, you know where to go!" People laughed and nobody took offence!

I then continued with my session while the hotel manager managed the situation next door. Difficult couple of minutes... I followed up with some more wisecracks like "I wish our meetings also had a DJ!" etc. and by then the situation was under control for me to continue.

If the situation cannot be controlled, you will need to excuse yourself and get control and then continue.

Hey guys, need another help. I need to do a presentation tomorrow, where I get to choose my own topic. But the topic should be related to business environment. Please don't suggest me difficult topics as I'm from a science background [emoji14]

Maybe you should explain more what you mean by "related to business environment" to get some easy topic suggestions... in fact just trying to explain that should get you some topics in your mind.

Also think about and mention who is your target audience for the presentation? Is it other science students? Then you can borrow some textbooks from other business students and talk about basic commerce topics.

Is it going to be other lecturers mainly (again from which dept? science or business)?

Maybe you can present about explaining/clarifying some buzzwords you hear on business news channels, like:

1. What is GDP, how it's calculated, compare large/poor country like India against small/rich country like say Japan.
2. What is meant by "budget deficit/surplus" - how much revenue India govt earns in taxes etc, versus spends on things like infrastructure projects.
3. Maybe talk about company share prices, how to judge whether if a share is worth 100 rs in one company versus 500 rs in another company, which is more valuable? Things like EPS (earnings per share), market capitalisation, assets/liabilities, cash on hand etc.
4. Currency exchange rates, how they are set/calculated, compare Indian Rupee to maybe Chinese Yuan how they relate to US dollar. What is India's ForEx (foreign exchange balance).

Back