Can Tata Sky STB be connected to a normal computer LCD monitor with D-SUB port ?

TEUser2K1

Skilled
Hi all,

Is it possible to connect Tata Sky STB directly to a normal LCD monitor using either D-SUB or DVI-D port ?

If yes, how to do it ?

Which STB model supports this ?

Monitor: Viewsonic VX922 19" LCD square monitor with D-SUB and DVI-D ports.

Thanks...

any idea folks ? am entirely new to STBs.

with normal cable operator, it was possible to buy combo box and connect. but no idea about STBs...

AFAIK there is no way to connect a Tata Sky normal STB to an LCD monitor as it has only a Video out port. :(

If you are using a Tata sky HD box then it has an HDMI connection and for that you can use a HDMI - DVI connector to connect to the laptop.

no stb except the one that dish sells for computer use can be connected to a D-SUB/ DVI-D/ VGA port. You will have to buy a standalone tv tuner box to get signals converted from the composite cables from stb to whatever port on monitor you're going to use.

^^ I heard about Dish TV Computer STB. I think it does not require combo box. Don't know what type of connector is supports... DVI-D ? D-SUB ?

Tata Sky HD box having HDMI also looks interesting...

^^ this link: Tata Sky HD - High Definition Channels & HD Services.

says:

I have a TV that is not HD. Should I get a Tata Sky HD digicomp?

Sure, you can. However, there will be no improvement in the picture quality as compared to your current Tata Sky (SD) box. A change in TV Display settings on the box will be required to support HD feeds with non-HD TV set for down-conversion.

"A change in TV Display settings on the box will be required to support HD feeds with non-HD TV set for down-conversion." - hope this setting to be done on STB not from monitor side.

Prole73 said:
^^ this link: Tata Sky HD - High Definition Channels & HD Services.

says:

I have a TV that is not HD. Should I get a Tata Sky HD digicomp?

Sure, you can. However, there will be no improvement in the picture quality as compared to your current Tata Sky (SD) box. A change in TV Display settings on the box will be required to support HD feeds with non-HD TV set for down-conversion.

"A change in TV Display settings on the box will be required to support HD feeds with non-HD TV set for down-conversion." - hope this setting to be done on STB not from monitor side.
But why would anyone want to connect Tata Sky HD with a non-HD display?

According to the quoted text, it surely seems that settings change is to be done on the box and not the TV or monitor.

I guess in your case you can use a HDMI to DVI cable but I'm not sure about audio.

Prole73 said:
^^ I heard about Dish TV Computer STB. I think it does not require combo box. Don't know what type of connector is supports... DVI-D ? D-SUB ?

Tata Sky HD box having HDMI also looks interesting...
i heard its a vga connector.

The difference between a monitor and a t.v is that the monitor does not have the internal circuitry to decode the T.v signals....hence they are cheaper than T.V.s...*(and also the speakers are much much inferior and many other reasons) it is also the reason why one has to get a "t.V tuner card" to watch t.v thru the comp on the monitor.....unfortunately there is no way rite now that u can connect a STB to ur monitor....

I had recently contacted Tata sky for their DTH services...the only channels that are HD are Nat Geo and Discovery HD....and star plu - the saas bahu brigade...plus some sports channels which show only a select tournaments in HD (e.g. recent football WC) but otherwise are not HD.....so if u have money to burn for just 3-4 channels...go ahead get HDtv..my advise...wait until the HD revolution finally hits india....

HD is not my priority. I dont want to spend much additional for viewing TV. My TV viewing is very very low.

Am having a 19" LCD monitor which I may replace with a better one. So, I want a cheap way to connect. STB is the option I prefer since cablewala here is charging high.

Dish TV Computer now looks a good option, but its costlier. TATA Sky HD STB is supposed to have HDMI out. Even if I am not subscribing to HD channels, I can subscribe to other normal channels and can view them non HD on my monitor via HDMI, right ?

I've connected Tata Sky HD-STB's composite output to a 19" LCD monitor via an external TV Tuner (Intex LCD Skyview IT-191). I feel the quality is not very good with pictures and text showing jagged edges but it is watchable from a distance.

I'm still on the lookout for a better solution which can take component inputs.

Better use HDMI cable and directly connect to monitor, than composite output - if possible some how.

I will also avoid external tuner in between, which may also cause the quality drop and un-necessary power usage.

one of my friend tried composite out and quality was very bad.

Prole73 said:
HD is not my priority. I dont want to spend much additional for viewing TV. My TV viewing is very very low.

So, I want a cheap way to connect. STB is the option I prefer since cablewala here is charging high.

Even if I am not subscribing to HD channels, I can subscribe to other normal channels and can view them non HD on my monitor via HDMI, right ?
Then the best is to get a t.v tuner card installed in your CPU....the external ones are also available but not that reliable....lotsa issues with them...heat up...burn out faster and if u get a bad one then the t.v signal is not that gr8...with the t.v tuner card u can connect cable directly to ur comp and get a t.v output...u can even connect a STB....and yes if u really dont care for HD then ur monitor will work as a t.v....albeit as a 19" t.v...so u have to sit close if u wanna read the subs etc...

If u dont care about the HD then u dont need an HDMI out...a normal cable will work just as well....just ask the guy who is gonna install ur t.v tuner card....he'l know the best....

I would recommend Tata Sky as u will get more flexibility than Dish in choosing your own channels....the current offer that tata sky is promoting is create your own pack....u can check out the tata sky website and u'l get all the details....
Dish has the same channels and everythng but i had a bad experience with the customer service when i called to enquire about their services....Tata sky on the other hand were prompt and helpful....so based on that i guess the after sales service wud b better for tata sky....it depends a lot on the local dealer though...

In my case of the monitor having only VGA/DVI inputs, the best (and cheapest) would have been to use an HDMI to DVI converter cable , but I'd still need the HDMI to be connected to my big screen TV for view HD transmission. That's the reason why I opted to use the unused Component/Composite output of TS HD-STB.

Now that I'm nowhere near happy with the TV tuner based solution (composite signal to VGA) I guess I have to look for an HDMI splitter to connect the big-screen TV and the 19" monitor simultaneously.

Back