Canon announces S5 IS

Wolfff

Adept
Canon has finally announced a successor the incredibly successful S3 IS.

Features at a glance:

• 12x optical zoom lens with Ultrasonic Motor (USM) and UD lens
  • Optical Image Stabilizer
  • 8.0 Megapixel CCD
  • DIGIC III with advanced Noise Reduction technology and Face Detection for stills and movies
  • Red-Eye Correction in playback
  • 2.5†high-resolution vari-angle LCD
  • Long-play VGA movies with stereo sound and Photo in Movie
  • 22 shooting modes including full manual control and 0cm Super Macro
  • High ISO 1600 and Auto ISO Shift
  • Compatible with Wide/Tele/Close-up converter lenses and Canon EX Speedlite flashes

Canon PowerShot S5 IS: Digital Photography Review

Trust me you wont go in for a S3 IS even if the price drops now cause sooner then later 3 months max S5 will be around what S3 is now... And S3 will be hard to spot with the dealers as they will phase it out...

Sandy said:
lol will be 20-24k easily.. why get this when you can get a 350D for 28.5k with the kit lens :p

Buddy, I have the 350D and I could use a second cam (P&S) any day. I have 3 lenses and believe me, there are times when you really wish you just had a p&S :)

The S5 IS fits in perfectly here because unlike an SLR

1) you get a small body and decent IQ (very imp and very useful for those b'day parties)

2) you get decent zoom (easy to discreetly click shots of those birds ;) )

3) you get IS without paying a bomb

4) you get a vari-angle screen. Sure, you can get an angle-viewfinder add-on for an SLR but you need to shell out more money for that

5) You can still use your external flash

6) you can record movies which you can never do with any SLR as on date

Basically if you are looking for a high quality replacement for an SLR, cameras like the S5 IS is the way to go :hap2:

^^ hehe...yeah you were right..but i guess cams aren't like pcs...so don't think s3 ppl will upgrade this fast...with such a minor upgrade

rPOk said:
^^ hehe...yeah you were right..but i guess cams aren't like pcs...so don't think s3 ppl will upgrade this fast...with such a minor upgrade

No point for s3 people to upgrade.

The info on upcoming s5 was to help people hold their purchase for a month.

S5 instead of S4 because japs consider '4' unauspicious. I read this somewhere.

The reason most companies don't go in for a version 4 (there is no Arctic Silver 4 either) is because four is a Chinese word for death.

Four (四, formal writing: 肆, pinyin sì) is considered an unlucky number in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese cultures because it sounds like the word "death" (死 pinyin sǐ). Due to that, many numbered product lines skip the "four": e.g. Nokia cell phones (there is no series beginning with a 4), Palm PDAs, the Leisure Suit Larry games, etc. Some buildings skip floor 4 or replace the number with the letter "F", particularly in heavily Asian areas. See tetraphobia and Numbers in Chinese culture.

Source: Wikipedia

Hehe, that's why there' gonna be a 6D not 4D :p

But yeah, DIGIC 3 owns, and the USM addition i neat !

@ Sandy - The 350D with a USM/IS lens of that f-range would cost 28k + 50k ;)

Hi all,

Please advise from where in Delhi i can get S3IS from grey market. What will the price? will it be orignal/box packed ? What all should i look for before buying it from the grey market.

thanks - Sunil

Back