Audio Can't get proper surround output from Vu Premium Android TV using ARC

gourav

Skilled
Hello friends. I recently got a Pioneer VSX-534 AVR with 5.0 speakers. I have a Vu Premium Android 4K TV, 50", bought in 2019. I connected the AVR with my TV yesterday using HDMI ARC. My primary mode of playing content is directly on my smart TV, either through Netflix/Prime, or through my NAS.

So I was really excited about enjoying some 5.1 content on my TV. But after connecting, when I playws some videos, I saw that sounds meant for surround channel speakers were coming from the front speaker as well. Front channel was just front, but surround channels were front+surround.

The TV has only 3 options in sound mode, PCM, DD, & DD+. I tried all three and same result. I tried using KODI, as well as VLC player, didn't make any difference.

To ensure that the problem was with the TV and not the AVR settings, I connected my Intel NUC to the AVR and played the same content. It played in proper surround, meaning surround channel sounds came out of only the surround speakers. So no issues with the AVR or its settings.

There is no passthrough option on this TV, or at least, not one that I've been able to locate. Is anyone else using this TV? I'm really surprised and disappointed by this because the TV advertised support for Dolby Digital, DTX, etc. Is there anything I'm missing?

Did you try changing the sound modes on the Pioneer? My Denon has modes like Multi Channel Stereo, Virtual Surround, Pro Logic 2 etc. If i keep it in MCS mode then output comes through all speakers.

I did. When I play content through my NUC, it works fine, but the same content in the same mode doesn't work with the TV

. I connected the AVR with my TV yesterday using HDMI ARC
please check the hdmi arc version spec of your tv.
Its not necessary that it will support 5.1, many TV manufacturer only support two channel audio via ARC.

The TV has only 3 options in sound mode, PCM, DD, & DD+
is it mentioned DD 5.1 ? this could be a only codec thing your TV is capable of.

if you got an AVR, i would advice strongly against you current setup if you looking for good audio.
I could be wrong but Please dont expect much form the the electronics used in Vu company... i doubt its upstream capabilities.

My primary mode of playing content is directly on my smart TV, either through Netflix/Prime, or through my NAS
rather get a fireTv/android box and plug it in HDMI of AVR, you will have overall much better experience. and added bonus, one less device in your home network to track all user activity.

Back