Car & Bike CarPuter Installation worklog + Suggestions

Rave

ex-Mod
Hey everyone
since I have quite a bit of free time on hand after a long time, have decided to go ahead with my long pending plans of installing a car pc in my Zen, although my online activity will be quite less still, ill try to check this thread and update as and when I can

My usage would be Navigation, Media (mostly Audio unless not moving :p ) and internet connectivity

will be running Win XP/7 and Centrafuse as front end

The components that I have are below

Computer Bits

Intel 945GCLF
1GB RAM
250GB 2.5" 5200 RPM HDD
TATA Netsetter USB dongle for internet

CarPuter Bits

7" LED Touch screen, with automatic rear cam switching
150W DC-DC PSU with startup/Shutdown timer, kind of like OEM M2 ATX

both products ordered off Ebay, will get it in a few days

Holux GPS reciever
Bluetooth dongle

will get those rubber keyboards as well but will be using On screen kb only for times other than tweaking around

will get a mic and a USB multiplier as well

The Audio out from the PC is to be connected to the line IN of my HU( some sony thing, dont remember model number) and HU connected to component speakers in the front via a Sony 222 amp that i have lying idle since quite a while.

I need to purchase component speakers though, 5"/6" so anyone in hyderabad looking to upgrade, buzz me, else will pick up the JBL or EL 6.1

need suggestions as to where I can get everything installed, I can do the instal myself but would like to go to a place with good prices and fabricators as buying small accessories is easier that way

I also need to replace my aging AutoCop central locking so will get those Xenos ones as well while am at it, and need to get front doors dampened so please suggest an appropriate place for the same and if possible, approximate prices for the same

Ill be done with fabricating the housing for the PC by tomorrow so will post pics by then

also, am going to make a quick release plug from old molex connectors unless someone can give me a better idea

something like this
12v-24v Computer Quick Release Power Cable Kit M2-MTR-5-PWR

oh and I also need a reverse camera, preferbly waterproof, and 6-8 ft length USB extention cables are they easily available in the market or should i look to order it online?

I am also thinking to install carputer from a long time but cant make it. Now some days ago i have started searching different components and while searching internet, i find some intersting tablets which can be used as carputer. Now most of the companies specially some chinese companies started prepairing good 7 inch android tablets.

Even india co Olive telecom will launch 7 inch tablet with GPS, 3G, HSPDA, wifi, bluetooth (I am waiting its release. might be in next month). It fulfils all requirement of a carputer and saves hassles of wiring. you can also take it out and use it as MID when you are not using it in car. I have shortlisted some tablets like aigo N700 (Dont know when it will launch), Mesada, X10, Villiv X70, archos 5, 7. However i dont know whether i can use car amplifier with it to enhance audio experience with it. Does any one know how to use 3.5mm jack input with car amplifier. However this is all my opinion and if you require further details to assemble carputer, you can refer mp3car.com.

@Rave : [Noob questions]

Where is the case going to sit? In the trunk?

How is the PSU different?

Will the GPS work fine here? I mean, how will it be integrated into the car pc?

Does "Automatic rear cam switching" mean it changes to rear cam when reversing automatically?
[/Noob questions]

I am in the same thoughts as @maddy_in65. I have been thinking to go for carputer, and seeing the recent trend in android/wince based tablets from china, I am waiting for couple more months to grab one good tablet. Even, couple of days back I heard that google and some car manufacturers are working on a specialized version for carputer. even, meego is coming up well.. so, it would be better to wait for couple more months and grab a good one within 20k INR, we can use it as a carputer (probably need to tweak something on the dash to fit this properly) and also, we can carry it (like to hotel rooms, when we are travelling). but, if you are installing carputer with a passion to do something, then u can go ahead...as nothing would be satisfactory than doing what we like :)

Ther is a mumbai based caprc vendor who provide all kind of material for carpc. Basically Lilliput is the maker of the most widely used touch screen in today's custom carputer environment.

Got the package today, LCD and DC PSU, need some help with the DC-DC PSU

can someone care to translate this for me? :p

1276351058581hzfileserv.jpg

1276437415632hzmyalibab.jpg

DC-ATX power supply is designed for Car PC use. The power supply operate over an input voltage range of 6 Vdc to 20Vdc and provide a precisely regulated dc output.The power supply utilize three synchronous buck controller. It has maximum power ratings from 110 W to 200 W at a typical full-load efficiency of 89%. It features over voltage/short circuit protection.

A built in intelligent timing controller (8bit Flash MCU) makes The power supply flexible for meeting the vary Car PC system. Timing is changeable according to different needs.

current production device has cables for output A 10 inch (24 cm) cable terminating in one 20-pin motherboard connector and two 4-pin hard disk power connectors as shown.

Basically what i want to know is in the first image, top right corner, what are the two different sets of pins for? One is for connecting mobo PW button, dont know what the rest does, how do I set the switch off timer with this? :p

will contact the seller tomorrow though but if someone could help here, would be good

Rave. 1st pin cable goes to your Motherboard 20 PIN connector. 2nd Pin cable goes to your 4 Pin CPU connector.

Connect MB power pin is your ON/Off connector. Just connect this PIN to your motherboard's Power Connector.

Now Timer. Well different Chinese PSU has different timers. For that you need to check out manual.

ACC Wire goes to your Ignition Wire of you car.

GND Goes to your - Of your car battery.

+12V Goes to your + of your car battery.

@Rave, Where are you going to mount LCD, is it on the dashboard or are you going to modify the dashboard and create seperate compartment for it. It will surely give OEM look. Please post dashboard modification images if you are going for second option. It will help me to modify my dashboard

Well, everything is almost set up, just have to install it in my car, which decides that it would have a problem, some belt or something is faulty and need replacement, so have to get that fixed, car serviced and only then can i install it, probably by mid next week, will update the thread with pics when I do install it

@ Amey

am just installing the CarPC as of now, will probably get blau 6" components and GTA mk2 by next month, as i think the car repair would eat my budget for this month

Back