Catching dog hair in top loader

roygarg

Disciple
Hi,

I have to deal with a lot of golden retriever hair. Its everywhere. Issue is with washing clothes with lot of embedded hair. A good shake before washing doesn't help much. I am thinking of giving floating lint catchers a try. Any alternative to Furzappers here in India? Any other suggestions on how to deal with it? Dont want to clog my plumbing with dog hair.

Thanks

I have to deal with a lot of golden retriever hair. Its everywhere. Issue is with washing clothes with lot of embedded hair. A good shake before washing doesn't help much. I am thinking of giving floating lint catchers a try. Any alternative to Furzappers here in India? Any other suggestions on how to deal with it?
You have a top loader

I got this. Did not have 10k more for the front load and my old machine made grinding noise when spinning.

It's got a lint trap already. Does it not catch any hair ?

Dont want to clog my plumbing with dog hair.
A drain cleaner will turn that hair into soap. You pour hot water down the plumbing and your hair is gone.

So this is not a problem.

Last edited:
You have a top loader

A drain cleaner will turn that hair into soap. You pour hot water down the plumbing and your hair is gone.

So this is not a problem.
Would you suggest periodic use, say once a month, of drainex in the outlet pipe?

Would you suggest periodic use, say once a month, of drainex in the outlet pipe?
It's really down to how much hair. Try it at that frequency and when the month is up, shine a torch in there and check whether to add more and more often or not.

Or you can just attach a stocking-like thing to the end of the drain pipe and check that at the end of the month. No need for chemicals that way

Your LG has a lint trap already. Does it not catch any hair?

Last edited:
It's really down to how much hair. Try it at that frequency and when the month is up, shine a torch in there and check whether to add more and more often or not.

Or you can just attach a stocking-like thing to the end of the drain pipe and check that at the end of the month. No need for chemicals that way

Your LG has a lint trap already. Does it not catch any hair?
It does but i do feel theres a lot going down the drain. Do machines have a filter in the outlet hole?

It does but i do feel theres a lot going down the drain. Do machines have a filter in the outlet hole?
No, they do not, That's why I suggested something DIY. An old sock ?

What about the clothes after the wash? Do you have to deal with hair there?

No, they do not, That's why I suggested something DIY. An old sock ?

What about the clothes after the wash? Do you have to deal with hair there?
Yup. The clothes still have hair. Using lint rollers on every cloth is not feasible at all.

Hi,

I have to deal with a lot of golden retriever hair. Its everywhere. Issue is with washing clothes with lot of embedded hair. A good shake before washing doesn't help much. I am thinking of giving floating lint catchers a try. Any alternative to Furzappers here in India? Any other suggestions on how to deal with it? Dont want to clog my plumbing with dog hair.

Thanks
Is it your dog? Do you regularly brush it? Spend 5-10 mins everyday brushing so it will not shed as much hair afterwards.

This problem of lint/hair was solved in the 50s by GE. It was called Filter Flo. General idea is simple.

A 70s model

Those days they had agitators. So filter flo is a pan like a sieve that sits on top of the agitator filtering out whatever is in the water. Quite effective.

If you could suspend a sieve with string into the washer at the right height........

Maybe you could catch all the hair better than those gimmicks Amazon sells :woot:

Last edited:
This problem of lint/hair was solved in the 50s by GE. It was called Filter Flo. General idea is simple.

A 70s model

Those days they had agitators. So filter flo is a pan like a sieve that sits on top of the agitator filtering out whatever is in the water. Quite effective.

If you could suspend a sieve with string into the washer at the right height........

Maybe you could catch all the hair better than those gimmicks Amazon sells :woot:
I learn something new about washers from you every time. :) As in suspend a sieve from the lid? How about a floating plastic sieve? :D

I learn something new about washers from you every time. :) As in suspend a sieve from the lid?
Yes and only during the rinse cycle for a short period then remove.

Requires manual intervention for each wash though.
How about a floating plastic sieve? :D
Floating as in unanchored? I don't know how well that will work because it would sink at some point. If it really does float then might work.

But a high water level is required.

FL don't cause a lint problem but won't help with pet hair either

Last edited:
Won't it be faster to get a lint roller and run it over clothes before washing them?
Deal of the day: LACOPINE Lint Rollers Set for Clothes Furniture, Clothing, Carpet, Pet Hair Removal and More, 1 Handle with 5 Refills, 180 Total Sheets https://amzn.eu/d/clnwX6e

Won't it be faster to get a lint roller and run it over clothes before washing them?
Deal of the day: LACOPINE Lint Rollers Set for Clothes Furniture, Clothing, Carpet, Pet Hair Removal and More, 1 Handle with 5 Refills, 180 Total Sheets https://amzn.eu/d/clnwX6e
Trust me, been there done that. When you're running lint rollers over 5 t-shirts and 3 bed sheets, it isn't a pleasant experience. Moreover, it is very hard to get embedded hairs out of cotton bedsheets using lint rollers.

Does anything in this article work (if you've tried it before)?

I wonder why there's no electrical static generator thingy that we can run over the clothes to pull off pet hair from it. Lot of articles mention, best way to stop hair is work on the pet itself by using some loose hair removing tool like brushing, etc.

Does anything in this article work (if you've tried it before)?

I wonder why there's no electrical static generator thingy that we can run over the clothes to pull off pet hair from it. Lot of articles mention, best way to stop hair is work on the pet itself by using some loose hair removing tool like brushing, etc.
I have tried a couple of these. Once again, these are not practical to perform on every piece of clothing due to the amount of effort needed. :D

I have tried a couple of these. Once again, these are not practical to perform on every piece of clothing due to the amount of effort needed. :D
What does the Air Dry feature on your top loader do?

The way this problem is solved is by using a separate dryer which has lint filters that catch the hair.

Would Air dry toss the clothes up enough to make a difference?

There would still be static cling though so hmmmm

The way this problem is solved is by using a separate dryer which has lint filters that catch the hair.

I think its just an extended spin dry cycle.

I don't think running dryer without hot air will produce static. Need hot air circulation inside the dryer for the dog hair to stick to the dryer drum.

Back