CCTV 16 channel DVR buying advice

zigackly

Recruit
I recently had a 16 camera CCTV setup installed at my factory, and feel that I shouldve done my homework a bit better before going ahead, but trying to salvage what's left at this point.

My primary requirements are storage of recordings for 45 days with 24 hour surveillance, and remote access.

The vendor has installed an iView 16 channel DVR model 1602HV and I have purchased 2x 2tb hard drives for storage. The issues I'm facing without clear replies from the vendor are -

1. I can either have 45 days of recording with bad clarity, or 4-5 days recording with d1 quality.

2. Remote access from a pc browser moves at a crawl. Access from a mobile app is easier. Is this the DVR or my PC that's causing the crawl?

3. Downloading/ saving a one hour clip takes ages.

If replacing the the DVR will solve the issue I am willing.

If any of the above info is inadequate please let me know and I can update with further details.

Thanks

I will try & help out to the best of my abilities (but there are issues that have me foxed).

Answer 1: True, this is standard procedure for most DVR's. Only the very expensive ones will offer full 16 channel D1 recording.
Answer 2: Not sure. It may be that the iView android app is better optimised.
Querry to Q3 : Download/saving - from where to where ? And what is your file size?

Your Help needed:
1] What is the config of your PC - processor/motherboard/ram/ I/O cards etc ?
2] Was this PC delivered by your vendor (as a certified system to run your CCTV setup) ?

I am not able to find the tech-specs of your DVR, so is this the one - http://www.iviewsolutions.com/products/dvms/specs.htm - the IVMS-16 ?

You could also go through this thread - http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/pc-for-viewing-cctv-dvr-output-remotely.147588/page-2

Tagging @cranky; @linuxtechie; @6pack

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a ton for your help terence

Im trying to find the model on the iview site myself but am unable to. This looks a bit more like the company of the DVR, but theres very little info and the model that was given to me is not listed.

1. Could you suggest a quality that i could use to ensure 45 days recording with 4tb? I actually only need 45 days for one particular camera. Would most DVRs support such a requirement? (in case a replacement becomes necessary)
2. Ok , thanks
3. I access the DVR either over a local network from my work pc, or remotely from my home pc. When i tried downloading it was over the local network.
Theyre both Athlon64 Dual Cores 2.8ghz with 2gb ram. I thought the DVR processes the feeds and there is no load on the pc used to view? Please clarify.

Your Questions-
1. Athlon64 Dual Cores 2.8ghz with 2gb ram. Not too sure about the motherboards, will update specs a bit later.
2. No, he has only supplied a DVR and said we can either use a TV or a PC to view live feeds, and can use the DVR to download the files. Is this the normal protocol ? Im not sure ive fully understood the role of the PC when there is a DVR involved, could you please clarify the role.

There's too little info to help here. What format does the dvr record in? Local network speed? Pc LAN card speed? Is there a switch in between pc and dvr? Try getting the specs from the company who sold you the device.

Back