Cheap, small display for a diy handheld

mvasanth

Recruit
I'm planning to convert a Intel atom windows tablet (buying from @Skyh3ck )without display into a diy retro gaming handheld (poormans steam deck). I thought of using a raspberry pi 7 inch display but the costs are high (lowest was 3600 for a 7 inch 480p). Is there any other cheaper (around 2k) way to source similar displays? 7-10 inches, touch or non touch is ok. I know it is almost impossible around 2k but I would like your opinions.

Ps. Small rant: While searching, I found android tablets and full size monitors costing less than the price of these displays. I know the demand is less but still 5k to 8k for these displays is ridiculous.

I'm planning to convert a Intel atom windows tablet (buying from @Skyh3ck )without display into a diy retro gaming handheld (poormans steam deck). I thought of using a raspberry pi 7 inch display but the costs are high (lowest was 3600 for a 7 inch 480p). Is there any other cheaper (around 2k) way to source similar displays? 7-10 inches, touch or non touch is ok. I know it is almost impossible around 2k but I would like your opinions.

Ps. Small rant: While searching, I found android tablets and full size monitors costing less than the price of these displays. I know the demand is less but still 5k to 8k for these displays is ridiculous.
search for tablets whose pcb/motherboards are faulty :p or visit to local famous area for mobile tablet repairing you will get it

search for tablets whose pcb/motherboards are faulty :p or visit to local famous area for mobile tablet repairing you will get it
Tablet displays are proprietary and use unique connectors and wont have a driver board. Also this tab is from US so no way I'm getting a replacement display here. What Im looking for is a ready to use display with hdmi input like the kind used with raspberry pi

Tablet displays are proprietary and use unique connectors and wont have a driver board. Also this tab is from US so no way I'm getting a replacement display here. What Im looking for is a ready to use display with hdmi input like the kind used with raspberry pi
Unfortunately at that budget you will not get anything 7 inch or above. You will either have to increase your budget or reduce the size you are looking for. If you know the display connector and protocol for your tablet, you can ask in your local market for old replacement displays as @burntwingzZz suggested.

Last edited:
Back