Audio Cheap speakers for movies and games

sarang

Skilled
Dec 22, 2005
Consider Creative T6060 decent buy for around 4K. A little fast bass, good highs OK mids, overall VFM not cheap.

hitman080

Disciple
May 13, 2007
greenhorn said:
I'd recommend that you use the A2's as fronts , and leave the front L/R of the 5.1's unused :)

Hmm, that's interesting. Still, which 5.1 set will you recommend for the satellite speakers?

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
If you're interested in taking this idea further, you dont need a center channel, especially if your A2's are kept close. even then the A2's imaging should be able to take care of that. And for the rears, a simple 2.1 ( VS4121 :D ) should be able to handle. If you dont believe me , borrow a pair of 2.1's, plug them into the rear, configure your speakers as quadraphonic and try it out ;)

sarang

Skilled
Dec 22, 2005
greenhorn said:
If you're interested in taking this idea further, you dont need a center channel, especially if your A2's are kept close. even then the A2's imaging should be able to take care of that. And for the rears, a simple 2.1 ( VS4121 :D ) should be able to handle. If you dont believe me , borrow a pair of 2.1's, plug them into the rear, configure your speakers as quadraphonic and try it out ;)

PS: Mods if you think this post is hijacking kindly move it to appropriate location.

@greenie, This does sound like promising, I myself am picking up a pair of a2s and was thinking about going for another pair to make it a 4 channel and then once i have the moolah add the .1 part (the S8 from AE). However my concern is loosing out on the center channel details (dialogues) in 5.1 movies. How do i configure the center channel to route through the front LR. Can ffdshow be of any help?

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
no need for a PAIR of A2's The rear usually has very little sound going to it. I'd recommend a budget Allocation of 70:30 for fronts and rears, and maybe even more if you plan to skip a sub , and get better fronts

sarang

Skilled
Dec 22, 2005
greenhorn said:
no need for a PAIR of A2's The rear usually has very little sound going to it. I'd recommend a budget Allocation of 70:30 for fronts and rears, and maybe even more if you plan to skip a sub , and get better fronts

Hmm Greenie,

now you aer confusing me to no limits. :S

So what speakers do u suggest i get for the rears which would effectively match the timbre of the A2s and will effectively serve "THE" puropse? Also my center channel questions still remains to be answered. :S.

What do you mean by 'better' fronts? A5? Or something like the GMX which will also gimme a sub?

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
If you want to timbre match, that would be tough. IMHO, timbre matching the rears isnt critical. the centre ( if there was one ) would need to be though, but thats why I'm recommending skipping it :p.

I use a Pair of Floorstanders for fronts , and some small satellites for the centre and rear. While it isn't tibre matched, it sure sounds better than the sattelites alone.

Similarly Superczar here also uses Floorstanders for fronts , a timbre matched front, and an old Hi Fi system for the rears. If you're using the A2's , and if they are kept close together , then you dont need a centre :)

I'm not sure how the A5's compare with the A2's . if they yield more bass, then yes, they are better for HT duty, but I've heard that they're more of the monitor variety, so no.

But dont the A2's Have enough bass as it is ? Either way, if it doesnt , Use a 5.1 speaker system, and use ffdshow/your soundcard ( if it can) to filter the bass from all the channels and to the sub :)

sarang

Skilled
Dec 22, 2005
Good idea greenie. So its the A2s then. I hope some puneit on this forum would bless me with an audition.