PC Peripherals Cheapest PSU Suggestion required

moshel

Adept
I want to buy a new PSU for my system...

Iball SMPS
Asus P5Q mobo
C2D E4400 2.0 ghz
2 gb DDR2 ram
500 + 250 gb WD HDDs
Sparkle GT240 graphics card
Samsung DVD RW

Please suggest the cheapest possible PSU for my system...Iball also fine. Will this one be enough Cooler Master Extreme Power 350W?

My confusion is how much watt is sufficient. I believe an Iball 400w psu gives actually about 250w power, am i right???

Generally, power supplies such as iBall etc have a efficiency of around 70%.

So if they say 400W, it translates into around 280W. This is an approximate figure, and can vary.

Ideally, if you want to use a cheap SMPS, use VIP. Then we have FSP, CM, Corsair, etc...

The SMPS in the link should be just OK for your needs, but its better to have a more powerful one, like a Gigabyte 460W.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Use this link for calculating required power : Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator

Efficiency is not what you are explaining it as.. :)

AFAIK It has nothing to do with output of the PSU, its the amount of Power in watts your PSU sucks out of your AC socket to generate the needed output. And the output of your PSU depends on current on rail, temperature, quality of components used. I might be wrong, let the techies comment :)

@ OP, Atleast get FSP saga 350 or FSP saga 400 or Corsair CX430 V2. If you can extend budget to 2.6K, seasonic 430 bronze is best PSU with 5 years warranty. ITwares has it in stock now

If you really dont want to spend much then get VIP (normal) 500w PSU at Rs.550/- for your rig with 3 years warranty

vivek.krishnan said:

So if they say 400W, it translates into around 280W. This is an approximate figure, and can vary.

Ideally, if you want to use a cheap SMPS, use VIP. Then we have FSP, CM, Corsair, etc...

The SMPS in the link should be just OK for your needs, but its better to have a more powerful one, like a Gigabyte 460W.

Use this link for calculating required power : Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator

Thanks for your replies.

I used the calculator and it shows I need 232W of power.

I currently have VIP Gold 500W SMPS and am troubled by it too much. Last year it stopped working and i sent it for repairs as it was in warranty. But they couldn't figure out the problem and said the problem was with my mobo. After getting mobo repaired still not working. So I figured out that there was actually loose connection in the big pin that goes onto the mobo. So sent it for repairs saying this and they changed all the internals including the wiring. Now its 1 year and once again there's loose connection. Don't feel like getting it repaired...Again!

Never had problems in Iball!

No way am going for VIP. Will check if FSP is available locally. I prefer to buy locally as it is easy to claim warranty.

So I guess I should go for a 500W SMPS right?

Yes you should go for 500w PSU (Only if you are buying iball or any other local brand). But my suggestion stays, spend about 2 to 2.5K and get Corsair CX430 V2 or FSP saga 500/400 or SEASONIC S2II 430. All of those are long lasting and future-proof PSU's :)

Efficiency is actually the correct word, as the AC (230V, 50Hz) is converted to DC (12V, 5V, 3.3V, etc). During such conversions, the ratio of the o/p to i/p power in % is the efficiency. The remaining power is actually converted into heat.

vivek.krishnan said:

not trying to be harsh but this is not what i learned in BEE. :S

efficency is measured by the amount of AC current in a DC power supply.

so in all fairness a 70% efficiency PSU will give 30 % Ac power from your PSU.

all computer parts do not need AC power . they all work on DC power.

also the efficiency factor varies on loads. so by that means if the load is around 30 % of the total capacity the efficiency would be 80 %.

but when it reaches the full capacity the efficiency drops to about 60 % or so.

Explanation from jonnyGURU...

What is efficiency??

Efficiency is the ratio between the useful output of an energy conversion device and the input.*For example, if your computer uses 300W, but pulls 400W from the wall, then the efficiency is 300W/400W, or 75%.

Mumbai University Basic Electronics Engineering.. :) Best subject I have come across during my degree ;)

^ ok maybe mixup with power factor and efficiency? :S

but it is practically impossible to remove AC current from DC output. so my reasoning for a better efficient power supply. :)

@Vivek : The definition you have mentioned is absolutely correct.. BUt you are rather mixing up things here...

Let me explain:

Acc to your definition, Output power/input power * 100 = efficiency (%) (absolutely right).

Now If I manufacture a PSU and rate it as capable of giving 500W output and 80% efficient, then does the definition say that my PSU is capable of delivering 80% of my rated output i.e 80/100*500=400W ?? :) Answer is NO.

Putting the given value in equation we get : 500(dc)/Input power(ac) = 0.8... i.e Input power(ac) = 500/0.8 = 625W.... Just a general calculation. Just FYI, For AC, power is measured as P(ac)= V.I.cos(phi) whereas In DC calculation we use P=VI

So bottomline is for example if efficiency of 500w PSU given by manufacturer is 80% then it doesnt mean that it will be capable of delivering only 80% of 500w. It means it will suck in (100%-80%)=20% more power from AC socket to convert it to 500w. :)

(The above are full load calculations :) i.e if your system is sucking out 500w from 500w PSU, ideal case, not practical)

I hope I am clear. Further explanation can be given on request ;)

Buddy, I know about the full load thing, plus i know its not practical. Thats why I use the efficiency rating only. It can pull full load@ chances of PSU damage.

It is a safe figure to use, basically.

This is what contradicts the definition :) ... You have directly reduced 70% from 400w and its never the case. Thats why explained. No hard feelings, and why will I have any... :)

vivek.krishnan said:

chiragsthakur said:
This is what contradicts the definition :) ... You have directly reduced 70% from 400w and its never the case. Thats why explained. No hard feelings, and why will I have any... :)

Aah, quite true going by the basic definition, but with PFC, its a different ballgame altogether! No hard feelings, anyways. Plus never paid much attention in BEE/ Electronics I & II.

chiragsthakur said:
Mumbai University Basic Electronics Engineering.. :) Best subject I have come across during my degree ;)

That subject sucks!! :p

Anyways, getting back to the topic, FSP Saga II 400w/500w is the minimum you should look to get.

I am an Electronics and telecomm Engg..If I say that subject sucks then I have wasted my 4 years ;) :p

viralbug said:
That subject sucks!! :p

Anyways, getting back to the topic, FSP Saga II 400w/500w is the minimum you should look to get.

Back