Cheapest Second Phone Number Option ?

raksrules

Elite
I want to get a 2nd mobile number. I am not looking for data / Internet on it. Just to have an active number with minimum balance for either emergency purpose or giving on websites when selling something or like FB which is forcing me to enter number to access marketplace and such.

What is the cheapest prepaid mobile service I can get? I have Vodafone currently, but for new number, I am open to any provider. It has to be cheapest to maintain.

Bsnl runs for years without trouble

In Mumbai, we don't have BSNL but I did read that they are going to take control of operations of MTNL here.

Also, can I buy a SIM of Jio or Airtel or so and just keep main balance (top up) and never recharge the unlimited packs we all have now?

I had a MTNL SIM card that I never recharged for 6 years and it was still operational. Only problem is that the signal coverage is quite poor and your residential area might not be covered.

I also have a Jio SIM that I recharge for the minimum amount once a year and it still works for receiving calls/messages.

I had a MTNL SIM card that I never recharged for 6 years and it was still operational. Only problem is that the signal coverage is quite poor and your residential area might not be covered.

I also have a Jio SIM that I recharge for the minimum amount once a year and it still works for receiving calls/messages.

What is that minimum amount you use? I am inching towards Jio for few other reasons.

I use a JIO SIM as my second number for the same usage as mentioned by you. I recharge it once in every six months that too with the lowest plan of Rs. 129/- which is listed under "Others -> Affordable Packs" & everything works smoothly. Just ignore the messages from Jio asking us to recharge & you'll be good to go! I opted for JIO instead of BSNL because of JIO's superior call quality & network coverage.

i have a vodafone alternate number i just recharge for Rs 49 per month includes Rs 38 talktime and 300 mb data. Only use this number for incoming calls n messages :) also there are 121 offers recharge for Rs 39/ 28 days full talktime :)

Y
i have a vodafone alternate number i just recharge for Rs 49 per month includes Rs 38 talktime and 300 mb data. Only use this number for incoming calls n messages :) also there are 121 offers recharge for Rs 39/ 28 days full talktime :)
Do you know if the validity carries forward? I.e if I do 10 49 ka recharge will I get 280 days validity?

I am currently using 95rs for 54 days Vodafone plan.

I use a JIO SIM as my second number for the same usage as mentioned by you. I recharge it once in every six months that too with the lowest plan of Rs. 129/- which is listed under "Others -> Affordable Packs" & everything works smoothly. Just ignore the messages from Jio asking us to recharge & you'll be good to go! I opted for JIO instead of BSNL because of JIO's superior call quality & network coverage.

I checked the prepaid plan and it says 129 per 28 days so how are you getting away with recharging once every 6 months?

What happens once 28 days are over? I am sure they would keep messaging that my pack is over. So does it mean that I cannot use outgoing or send SMS? And only receive calls and SMS? Or should I keep some regular top up balance in it too.

Also, if you ignore everything above, say once I get prepaid sim and do whatever initial recharge they ask me, then can I just keep some top up balance and keep using it?

I believe telecom operators do disconnect the line if it isn't used for several months or not recharged right?

I checked the prepaid plan and it says 129 per 28 days so how are you getting away with recharging once every 6 months?

What happens once 28 days are over? I am sure they would keep messaging that my pack is over. So does it mean that I cannot use outgoing or send SMS? And only receive calls and SMS? Or should I keep some regular top up balance in it too.

Also, if you ignore everything above, say once I get prepaid sim and do whatever initial recharge they ask me, then can I just keep some top up balance and keep using it?

I believe telecom operators do disconnect the line if it isn't used for several months or not recharged right?
Once the 28 days validity period expires , you won’t be able to make outgoing calls or send sms and if you don’t recharge for 7 days after expiry, incoming calls will also be disabled.

If you have regular top up balance, this balance will be automatically used to extend validity for next 28 days. You won’t get any benefits, so it is better to do minimum recharge every 28 days as you will get basic talktime and data benefits.

I think your number will be disconnected in 90 days, if you don’t extend validity.

JIO have some minimum 199/- or so every month recharge, if you do not intend to use it extensively then stay away or confirm 3-4 time with different outlet or gallery, as just last month when I went out to buy new sim I found that ALL ... Jio-AirTel-Vodafone GALLERY quote 2-3 times higher package with low data quota and seller (Non Gallery or who do not have any BRAND SIGN BOARD) offer same SIM CARD with double data & at lesser price.

Out of above 3 brands I found VODAFONE gallery staff No.1 cheater and Airtel staff on 2nd Number, they hide some facts and force you to BUY HIGHER PRICE PACK.

Vodfone Authorized gallery executive GIRL asked me to pay Rs.399/- and get 1GB Data for whole 28 days & Unlimited Calling and from a near by small shop I bought New Vodfone sim for Rs.299 + 1.5GB Data Per Day for 28 days + Unlimited Calling for 28 days

My other old Vodafone sim (12 yr old sim) I exchange it as there was issue in network reception... Gallery person charged me Rs.100/- while Vodafone Online Customer Care person via email first confirmed that sim card exchange charges are just Rs.25/- only and next day other person send email that sim exchange charge is Rs.50/- .. but still local vodafone gallery person charge Rs.100/-.. and even after paying Rs.100/- I found ZERO improvement in any thing.... Rs.100/- wasted

Jio Gallery ask me to pay Rs.299/- to Port Number from Vodafone to Jio and just a few step away one person have road side stall was asking just Rs.25/- to port any number to Jio... but I avoid BOTH.

Last edited:
Back