PC Peripherals CM UCP 900W + 2*GTX 480 SLi??

Hi guys,

I've a question.
I know that a UCP 900W wud handle a GTX 480 but wud it hav enuf juice to handle 2 GTX 480 in SLi?
only reason i'm worried is ths PSU has the +12v rail split into 5 rails & the last 2 (22A each) pwr the gpu.

Please do lemme know.

Without an iota of doubt, that power supply would easily feed juice to those cards in SLI. There seems to be something wrong with your calculations on the amperage rating on those 12v rails though. It wouldn't be the last 2 rails alone which could power those GPU pwr connectors.

Desecrator said:
Without an iota of doubt, that power supply would easily feed juice to those cards in SLI. There seems to be something wrong with your calculations on the amperage rating on those 12v rails though. It wouldn't be the last 2 rails alone which could power those GPU pwr connectors.

My doubts stem from this review:

The specifications state that the first 12V rail is for the ATX12V connector, but it actually is used for the 24-pin motherboard connector, the ATX12V 4-pin connector, and the various Molex/SATA connectors. The added amperage makes sense in that case, as much of the system will be powered through that rail. The second 12V rail is for the EPS12V 8-pin connector, while the two remaining 12V rails are for the six PEG connectors.

Source : Cooler Master UCP 900W - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Avoid CM products when it comes to Power supplies bro as they have very high failure rates AFAIK ..

Try Google for some user reviews & u'll come to the conclusion !

^^ Another CM hater without knowing details , Failure rate is high only on extreme series PSU's otherwise CM also produces some high quality stuffs . And for op would you risk 60k+ cards on that psu !! even if it works .

vasim21 said:
Avoid CM products when it comes to Power supplies bro as they have very high failure rates AFAIK ..

Try Google for some user reviews & u'll come to the conclusion !

Get your facts right. Like the user above has pointed it out, it is only the Extreme Power which has been received with bad reviews and ratings everywhere. The UCP/Real Power/Real Power Pro/Silent Pro series are all fantastic power supplies which have been rated right up there with the Corsairs/Seasonics/Enermaxs in terms of efficiencies and ripple.

But he already pointed out, the 6pins and eight pins share only two rails, sharing from another rail balances out even more. If each rail is 22A, then max power it can deliver is 264, which is pretty close to the power consumption of a single GTX 480.

So connect each 8 pins to each card, and use two molex to 6 pins, total of 2 6 pins, and connect to the 6 pin port of each card. That way each card will be shard among either rail 3&4 or 3&5. Most cards pulls more power from primary power conenctors [here its 8pin] (In HD 5xxx series, it like that, but 4XXX is vice versa). One rail alone will power that, and other rail, the 3rd one will give the extra power from an underloaded rail for molex and sata.

just my 2 cents. Let the gurus put more light on this :)

Also wait for non reference coolers. Sapphire's non reference cooler[fan in centre] and the vapor-X for HD 5870 made it almost 15c cooler than reference one and runs silent too.

This PSU could have done with a single +12v rail IMO. All the reviews in the web seems to point out the same fact that rail nos. 3 & 4 which have 20A & 22A respectively are dedicated to the PEG connectors. In which case, using 2 power hungry gfx cards could be a problem. Had CM instead opted to do with a single rail, the load could have been distributed across all rails.

Its because of this resaon i'm thinking whether i sud buy this psu or get something else.
btw does any1 know the price of TX & HX 850W?

@dominator : urs is a gud suggestion but the prob is the 1st rail (25A) is used to pwr everything from mobo to all the drives.i think sharing it with 2 GTX 480 cud overload the rail.
cant use the 2nd rail asit is used to pwr the EPS12V 8-pin connectors.

^The TX/HX850 are good alternatives. The HX commands a warranty of 7yrs as against the 5yr offered on the TX series. And being modular it should be less of a cable clutter inside your enclosure and should be easier on the air flow front as well.

Do consider the Seasonic M12D 850 as well. The HX and the Seasonic should be approx. 10k INR.

That PSU should be able to handle GTX480 SLI. 22A translates to 264W of power. An 8 pin PCIe power connector is spec'ed to draw 150W power and the 6 pin one is 75W. So even if you connect a 6 pin and 8 pin connectors on each of those 22A rails, it should equate to a power draw of 225W. Also don't forget that the cards draw power from the PCIe slot as well and not just from those supplementary power inputs.

Still If you don't want to take chances you might want to consider a PSU like the Tagan which has the provision to switch of the current limiters on the rails effectively making it a single rail PSU. Alternatively get a Corsiar HX1000 which provides 40A each on two rails.

Extreme Power series has a reputation of its own, but too add to that the GX series don't have decent reviews either. But then again, most of the sites that reviewed the products weren't the ones I normally trust either.

I would like to know why would OP want to buy couple of nvidia electric toasters :p

I hate to generalize stuff but couple of companies just don't fail to make that as a strong point- coolermaster is one of them. All of a sudden they will do cost cutting on their units (PCAR has with some cheap aluminium and copper heatsink versions as well) and bring a new version of the psu within a series. Unless one doesn't have a choice at all, why grab a cm unit? There's seasonic and corsair out there. For those sissies who seem to be posting the usual "all cosair users blah blah..."- check the reviews- hardocp, hardware secrets and sites who make an effort to open the unit and explain every inch of the unit inside out.

If you are planning to buy one, consider hx850. But again- gtx480 in sli?? Why do you want that bucket of bolts?

Desecrator said:
Get your facts right. Like the user above has pointed it out, it is only the Extreme Power which has been received with bad reviews and ratings everywhere. The UCP/Real Power/Real Power Pro/Silent Pro series are all fantastic power supplies which have been rated right up there with the Corsairs/Seasonics/Enermaxs in terms of efficiencies and ripple.

Ur facts are pretty clear as i can see ! There's something called as GOOGLE & nobody's asking u ur own views here !

People have reported their UCP 900 series failing thrice in an years time !

rohan_mhtr said:
^^ Another CM hater without knowing details , Failure rate is high only on extreme series PSU's otherwise CM also produces some high quality stuffs . And for op would you risk 60k+ cards on that psu !! even if it works .

Guess u know all abt CM Extreme series ! Still ur on the same power supply ? :rofl: :rofl:

The Sorcerer said:
Check the reviews- hardocp, hardware secrets and sites who make an effort to open the unit and explain every inch of the unit inside out.

If you are planning to buy one, consider hx850. But again- gtx480 in sli?? Why do you want that bucket of bolts?

I totally agree with u bro .. HX850 worth every penny IMHO ! I own one & im very much satisfied with it :hap2:

vasim21 said:
Ur facts are pretty clear as i can see ! There's something called as GOOGLE & nobody's asking u ur own views here !

So much so for your leet Google'ing skills, I fail to foresee the unit(s) you were complaining of failing thrice over!

The best I could do was this -

CM UCP 900W failure - Google Search

Any power supply can fail due to a lot of reasons. The first batch of the Seasonic M12D 850 units shipped to India was a bad batch in itself. I had to replace mine twice over. Does it translate to a bad power supply? I'm sure quite a few power supplies from Corsair as well arrived DOA - I have seen members in the forum complaining about the same. OW from jonnyguru himself has rated that power supply a notch above the TX850 - I can blindly trust him going by his reviews on the forum!

And lastly, just in case you didn't know as yet, everyone on the forum is entitled to have their views as well!

vasim21 said:

Like that if you see you will find such cases in gigabyte, corsair, seasonic, etc. You can't control defects my friend. Every brand/series/etc. have unfortunate and uncontrollable blooper of making defective batches. You can't judge and generalize it that way.

Read my comment and try to understand. When I made a point about CM, I said there are better alternates- that doesn't mean this will blow the system up to pieces. If you see, antec EA500 is a good unit, but there are other 450-550w units out there which are better. That doesn't mean EA500 is a bad unit.

GTX 480 in sli is a very good option.....only if one has a water cooling kit.
What vasim mentioned is true....there "was" a pretty high failure rate of the UCP 900w initially. However CM has released another version which is gold certified and has no issues.

only-ve is of the UCP is its non modular.
Seasonic MD12, antec signature series are the other options

The Sorcerer said:
Like that if you see you will find such cases in gigabyte, corsair, seasonic, etc. You can't control defects my friend. Every brand/series/etc. have unfortunate and uncontrollable blooper of making defective batches. You can't judge and generalize it that way.

Read my comment and try to understand. When I made a point about CM, I said there are better alternates- that doesn't mean this will blow the system up to pieces. If you see, antec EA500 is a good unit, but there are other 450-550w units out there which are better. That doesn't mean EA500 is a bad unit.

How is HX 850 better than UCP 900w(apart frm being modular etc)....Genuine question, reviews of UCP are gr8...

Back