Coaxial cable surge protection ?

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
There were a few thunderstorms last week. Shortly after that my TV started glitching.

The service engineer tells me - my cable tv connection messed up the TV board.
Are there any options for coax cable surge protection?

1. Lightning arrestors installed next to the antenna such that they are taller than the TV antenna.

2. Physically disconnect the coax cable when it begins to rain.

3. Search for Coax Grounding block. You will see videos of how the coax ground is shorted to earth outside the house.

This is not a mechanism to protect your equipment though. It is a mechanism to safely dissipate the high voltage in case of a lightning strike. Consider it a backup.

Number 2 is fool proof and is the suggested method for radio operations.

Number 1 is a costly affair, but permanent.

The only sureshot way is to disconnect the cable.

Last edited:
1. Lightning arrestors installed next to the antenna such that they are taller than the TV antenna.

2. Physically disconnect the coax cable when it begins to rain.

3. Search for Coax Grounding block. You will see videos of how the coax ground is shorted to earth outside the house.

This is not a mechanism to protect your equipment though. It is a mechanism to safely dissipate the high voltage in case of a lightning strike. Consider it a backup.

Number 2 is fool proof and is the suggested method for radio operations.

Number 1 is a costly affair, but permanent.

The only sureshot way is to disconnect the cable.

Agree to Number 2. Foolproof method.

Thunderstorms are quite common in Kolkata. And we used to disconnect the power cable of TV and the HDMI cable from the set top box. The HDMI cable is slightly more rugged than the coax cable.

Only had one time when the set top box got fried in thunderstorm. Easier to replace it than the TV.

Back