Codeigniter Or Kohana

Re: Codeiginter Or Kohana

I would also recommend that you to have a look at Symfony2 before deciding. Its made rapid strides from version 1, and I am currently using it for a project.

Yes, it does not need anything special. You can deploy it as a normal app. But it really helps if the server has an accelerator like APC/eAccelerator/XCache installed. Running a production site without it might not be the best idea.

The of which PHP framework is quite controversial & frangly. there is no right answer. Still, I would try to objectively compare them.

1) CodeIgniter:

Pros: Easiest learning curve, works on all shared hosting providers, great documentation

Cons the codebase although is PHP5 only but the code feels still stuck in PHP4 way of doing thing, e.g excessive use of $this or procedural style & not implementing OOP fully . Further, it does not have "cool" features like Dependency injection,anonymous functions etc.

2) KOHANA

Pros: It started as fork of CodeIgniter but now its a fully independent modern PHP5 framework. It managed to fix most of the negative things about CI. the codebase is fully Object-Oriented. Not like procedural crap in CI. Another plus, is Hierarchical-Model-View-Controller (HMVC) pattern which works better than tradditional MVC style available in CI; atleast for web projects.

Cons: Documentation is next to nil. So you are okay with reading the source code to figure out things work -- I highly suggest you go for KOHANA.

3) Symfony2

Pros: Has the cleanest code among all PHP framework. Has all the cool features like Dependency injection,anonymous functions, Bundles etc. Highly recommended for big projects

Cons: Requires PHP 5.3+ so might not run all Shared hosting providers as most of then are still stuck with 5.2 series:no:

PS: About this comparsion, Let me know how I did :bleh:

I am not a pro in OOP just started learning it since Kohana has no documentation that is out of the race. I am planning a big project. I want to know more about symphony because many people suggested it and its support with shared hosting is it good?

About the comparison you gave a good overview of all the 3 in short.

Can this be installed in a shared server.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

How to use databases on this thing???

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Dont you think that zend framework is too much for a noob like me.

Back