Compact Camera Advice

Hi. I need to buy a compact camera urgently (by 23rd).

By compact I mean something that would fit in a coat pocket (not necessarily a jeans pocket). I had a Nikon Coolpix S6 before and that is the kind of size I'm looking for.

Now, I already have a Canon Powershot SX 100 IS and quite happy with its performance so I was considering Canon Powershot A3100 IS which looks sleek enough. A dealer at NP has quoted Rs.9,200/- for it, but he suggested the the most compact camera ever released by Canon is IXUS 100IS, which is for Rs.11,800/-.

Now, I'm kinda confused. Is IXUS worth it? From some sample pictures I saw on the net, I was not really impressed. Basically, is the trade-off between size and quality worth it? I have a Nokia N95 and some of the pics from the IXUS were no better than my Nokia. I know, I'm tending to answer my own question but personal suggestions would be very helpful.

My budget is around Rs.10,000/- (flexible slightly) and I'm open to non-Canon cameras.

Come on guys...some help .. any help:huh:

i would suggest u go for the IXUS100IS... its a great camera....

DO check out the Powershot A1100IS as well... its a bit larger than the Ixus, but is a great option :)

Well you can consider this Canon PowerShot A1100 IS . Very good Point and shoot compact camera . Comes arround 7500 , Has digic 4 image processor . Images are good . I think this is one of the best camera in Sub 10K range .:eek:hyeah:
You can buy this baby without second thinking :hap2:

IXUS100IS nice & compact camera ....

i used this camera for a day and i am quite satisfied with the performance and quality:)

Ended up with IXUS 95 IS ... looks great...good snaps in decent lighting...even in fluorescent indoors. But night shots with no external light source really really sucks ... circular patches all over the photographs.

With my past experience with Nikon Coolpix S6 and now this cam I'm starting to feel that these compacts are just not worth it :(

Thanks for all the inputs guys!

The portable/compact segment of digicam market has weak flash in all models. You should get a cam with good ISO and lens else its understood with P&S that low light will be crap ;)

The new models these days have little slow lens plus the added high megapixels doesn't help much.

Back