CPU/Mobo config for graphics work

lokeshv

Disciple
Hi all,

a frnd of mine is planning to buy a new pc...main use will be graphics, coreldraw, photoshop..etc..basically he is in printing industry...

so need a powerful machine which can open big files...super fast and can respond to changes fast...

so what do you guys suggest..

budget say...50 k for CPU,MB,GC, RAM

no monitor, keyboard mouse needed.

n also should buy now or wait for new processors to come....
Thanks,

Processor : Intel Q6600 [Quad is of utmost importance due to the nature of the work] ~11.5k

MotherBoard : Abit IP35 Pro[Extremely Stable board] (9000-US Price) (12000 Indian Price)

RAM : 2*2GB Patriot Extreme Performance RAM ~12.5k(US Price) or 1*4GB Transcend AXE Ram ~7500

GFX : 2600XT (soft mod it to FireGL card if primary use is 3D) (9000) or 8800GT 512MB ~14.5k

It is better to wait for the new Processors to come, as one of these things will happen, either the processor would be too good to resist or it will reduce the price of the existing processor.

also buy a good after market cooler say,

TRUE ~2.5k for added stability.

lokeshv said:
Hi all,
a frnd of mine is planning to buy a new pc...main use will be graphics, coreldraw, photoshop..etc..basically he is in printing industry...
so need a powerful machine which can open big files...super fast and can respond to changes fast...
so what do you guys suggest..
budget say...50 k for CPU,MB,GC, RAM
no monitor, keyboard mouse needed.
n also should buy now or wait for new processors to come....
Thanks,
Apart from PS and all that printing related stuff, what kind of graphics?? :S
Do 'printing related graphics' involved 3dsmax/Maya- i don't think so. :ashamed:

Your friend has a good budget to make a very big rig- Quad+the works. :D
But he can also save some money if he optimises the config as per his needs. :cool2:

Any new gen dual core is also enough imho and i think one mainly need lots of RAM to open/shift applications super quick. :ashamed:
Will he be using it overclocked or stock?? :p

I am being way too extravagant for your needs imo-
Q6600 quad core + Abit IP35-E + Transcend 4x1GB DDR2 800 + Galaxy 8800GT So that will be- 11.5K + 7.2K + 6K(max assume- it was 1300/- per gig iirc) + 14.5K = 39.2K only.

Still 39200/- only. :O
want me to use up the whole 50K?? :devil2:

But imho- i think your friend can still save on that 39.2K if he is sure of what is requirements are. :cool2:

memnom said:
Processor : Intel Q6600 [Quad is of utmost importance due to the nature of the work] ~11.5k

MotherBoard : Abit IP35 Pro[Extremely Stable board] (9000-US Price) (12000 Indian Price)

RAM : 2*2GB Patriot Extreme Performance RAM ~12.5k(US Price) or 1*4GB Transcend AXE Ram ~7500

GFX : 2600XT (soft mod it to FireGL card if primary use is 3D) (9000) or 8800GT 512MB ~14.5k

It is better to wait for the new Processors to come, as one of these things will happen, either the processor would be too good to resist or it will reduce the price of the existing processor.

also buy a good after market cooler say,

TRUE ~2.5k for added stability.
is transcend axeram available locally?

Not as far as i know, though i've read its purchasable in mumbai, dunno how true it is.

@bikey, isnt quad core an important system component that too when Graphics is concerned? fast rendering times even in photoshop. and Cpu speed is also important for opening of application. likewise the high rpm hdds,no?

latency wise, 2*2gb is more better than 1*4gb rite? and if he can spend on high quality products why not go for it?

Ram is important, if you are installing Vista, then get about 4gb as it is cheap right now. This will really give photoshop a nice boost, and you could scrimp a little elsewhere.

Is it for Photoshop or for 3Dwork? IMHO, a medium level pro card (Esp last gen) imported from the US would be better than the best Gaming cards in India. You can scout around for good deals on last Gen pro cards (Fire/quadro). The drivers and BIOS of these cards are optimized for 3D rendering. I have a crappy NV28 Quadro and it performs better than the 7900 GTX at certain rendering. Again like I said IMHO. :)

Oh wait, if you are comfortable soft modding some of the ATI's that might make more sense. I there is a thread somewhere here that shows how. Should be an easy thing to do.

thanks for repling..

no 3D work..this machine will be for coraldraw, PS, Adobe illustrator.. thats it..

big files...should open fast n should respond to graphical changes fast...thats it..

it will run on Stock speed no ...overclocking..

if anyone have idea..when new processors will be launched...?? i guess it be better to wait for new CPUs to hit martket..

Well the Intel 45 Nm should hit us next month or so. And the starting rates are expected to be around 299$. So waiting for them might be a good choice.

even a new line up dual core is enuf for 2d/vector work.
get a quad only if ur friend is doing proper 3d work apart from that a dual core is sufficient to work with

personally i recommended him 6850..with a gd gfx card.....just a quick question... wld sli setup will make any diff in it ? 2 8600 GT or 1 8800 GT ?

Thanks,

Back