Budget 41-50k Configuration for Web Server - Site hosting as well as data storage

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
My friend needs a configuration for Web server which will be used for website hosting and data storage. We both are noob in this section hence not idea about budget and components.

Q: What is your budget?
Not sure

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Nil

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Nil

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
All parts for a web server

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
No upgrades preferred

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Mumbai - Lammington Road

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Web server for website hosting and data storage

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Not as such but brands with pathetic A.S.S. like Asus in Mumbai not preferred

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Nil

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1920*1080 on 22"-24", If required

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Not sure

@vyral_143 Go for this-
Intel i7 3770-18.5k OR i5 3550-12.5k
Gigabyte B75M D3H-4.5k OR Asus P8H77-V-9.5k
Gsill RipjawsX 2x4GB 1600-3.5k
Segate 1TB 7200.14-4.6k
Seasonic S12ii 520W-4k
Dell ST2220L-8.5k OR Benq G2420HD-9.8k
Nzxt Gamma-2.4k OR Bit fenix Alpha-2.8k
Logitech MK200 Combo-0.7k
You can add more than 1TB HDD since you're going store lot more data,I've only suggested one.Same goes for ram,If you want more than 8GB ram then you can add.
For mobo go with Asus H77 since you'll need more Sata Connectivity options for HDD's and more.
Hope this helps.
happy19.gif

My 3 year old Samsung spica Android phone can run a web-server. Raspberry pi costing Rs. 2650 can run a web server. And the billions of dollars Google's network of data centres can also run a web server.

How many hits do you expect for your web server per second?
If you are not sure of the web server's operating system, nothing can be recommended anyway.
"Data storage" is nice, but how much data immediately and what is the expectation of growth? How much data needs fast access and how much can do with slow access?
EDIT : Is the service compute intensive? Or data access intensive?

If you are very unsure about the details, get an Amazon EC2 compute server. Or simpler : any website hosting service like dreamhost if clients are international, or go4hosting if clients are in India.

Thanks @Jakob, @amitkher

More inputs

Storage - around 2 TB
Hits - 2500/day
Simultaneous Hits - 100
It should be able to handle burst traffic

Also he do not intend to rent a service for web server.

Last edited by a moderator:
Non-burst : Can be easily handled by Intel core i3 or AMD FX 8150 (you can wait for the new FX 8350 too). Advantage with AMD here is ECC memory support, with Intel you need Xeon just for ECC.

But during burst traffic, the server would be limited by disk I/O. You would most likely know the internet connection upload / download speed? That would help determine whether or not you need a specialized storage subsystem. Also, is data generated by the web-server usage, e.g. maybe by users uploading / entering data? What are the implications if such data is lost to a disk corruption?

Would you like to have failover for the webserver , e.g. in the case of hardware failure of a machine you still want your web server to be unaffected? That would be typically required if service needs to be up more than 99% of time except scheduled downtime.

Back