configure linksys

sikvik

Disciple
How does one configure the wrt54g to connect to a laptop wirelessly, ONLY after a password authentification. My router lets any lappy connect. So basically how does one set up a password -and can I set it up wirelessly or will i have to connect the ethernet cable. Also whats this encryption stuff is it really required. Is that the missing link in my setup.... I have already got a user name and password assinged to the router and figured it would suffice . Obviously there is some thing I missed. Thanks in advance

There is the cisco button...What does that do? ok so I get wired then trip Cisco. The lappy connect wirelessly any way??

Another strange thing happened a couple of days ago. Earlier I had to dial up to access BSNL BB now it connects the moment the modem boots??

you can use the dialer in your modem :) thats what i do .

nah, i havent enabled encryption

1) if anyone in my neighbourhood wants some free net ( i live in a rural area ) they can have it.

2) if i get busted for filesharing, one more valid excuse :p

About connecting the moment you switch it on, it's called PPPoE.

You can find it in your modem/router's control panel.

You can enable Wireless Encryption, but make sure you choose a compatible mode+algorithm for your hardware.

Personally, WPA Pre-Shared Key with TKIP+AES is a good option, it's compatible with anything I've thrown at it to date.

I have a WRT54G. You can secure it by opening the router page. Go to the 'wireless' tab. Select security mode as WEP (That is a sufficient and reliable encryption) Give a passphrase and generate the keys or you can give a key comprising of 10 hexadecimal characters of your choice. The default transmit key will be 1 and you can use this key to connect to the secure network....

roshni_45 said:
I have a WRT54G. You can secure it by opening the router page. Go to the 'wireless' tab. Select security mode as WEP (That is a sufficient and reliable encryption) Give a passphrase and generate the keys or you can give a key comprising of 10 hexadecimal characters of your choice. The default transmit key will be 1 and you can use this key to connect to the secure network....

Forgot to mention after clicking on wireless tab you have to select the wireless security tab and then continue with the rest of the procedure. Finally save settings...

Back