Monitors Confused about LCD monitors

dekruzader

Disciple
Hi Guys,
Please help me in choosing a good 17" LCD TFT. I know that this topic has been beaten to death, but still I am confused.
My budget : 15K
Usage : Lots of games (FPS, RTS), Movies (Irregularly regular :) ), Light to medium Photo Shop editing (hence truer colors)
Current Choices : Samsung 740N (No DVI :( ), Dell ultrasharp 1707FP
The wide format is not in my choices due to lack of support for native resolutions in many games (???). Would be great help if you could suggest some other LCDs and prices. I am also open for value 19" monitiors.

hmmm... Why not a 19"... with that budget you can get a good 19" monitor... By Samsung/Viewsonic/Acer... Look into the reviews section... You will find reviews for Samsung 740N and for Samsung 940BW...

for 15K, you can go for a 19" widscreen (940 BW)

But this isnt the best for games like CSS....smith has this (check review section for review)

if u are hell bent on 17" then get Sony SDM-E76D ...... i am using this one ..... amazing quality ...... compared it side by side with samsung/LG and even a Techboy(he is a famous personality on TE) can tell the difference ...... its 8ms but better than many 4ms ones ....... DVI input/perfect for non wide screen gaming :)

Wuts the difference apart from the adjustable stand, better contrast ratio, response time and dvi ?? wt panel does it use ?? whats the price ??

Radeon said:
ROFL.

Don't get 19" LCD (either wide), because they suck. Either get 20.1" Widescreen or just get good 17" LCD.

My suggestion is 17" Samsung 770P.

Samsung 770P

Well, this was in my mind.. But, the quotes that I am getting are more lik 18-19K. That is very high for a 17". The 970P 19" will be even more expensive.

Rahul said:
if u are hell bent on 17" then get Sony SDM-E76D ...... i am using this one ..... amazing quality ...... compared it side by side with samsung/LG and even a Techboy(he is a famous personality on TE) can tell the difference ...... its 8ms but better than many 4ms ones ....... DVI input/perfect for non wide screen gaming :)

This is really a nice looking one. The quote I got is around 13K. How is the viewing angle? The only problem that I can see is that there is no height adjustment or tilt. So, have to adjust our viewing height/angle to that of the monitor. Or is it right?

Related query : Do Samsung/Sony/Viewsonic replace monitors if there is a single ( or more ) dead pixel(s) ? Anyone with first-hand experience ?

dekruzader said:
Well, this was in my mind.. But, the quotes that I am getting are more lik 18-19K. That is very high for a 17". The 970P 19" will be even more expensive.

Yea, it's expensive because it's a really nice monitor, it's extremely sharp and has vibrant colors.

Just don't get any 19" LCD Monitor's. Either 17" or 20.1", ok :cool2:

dekruzader said:
This is really a nice looking one. The quote I got is around 13K. How is the viewing angle? The only problem that I can see is that there is no height adjustment or tilt. So, have to adjust our viewing height/angle to that of the monitor. Or is it right?

no height adjustment ..... but tilt adjustment is there and its really nice ......

Viewing angle is really good no matter from where u look u won't find any distortion .....

just go and chk out it and u will see the difference .....

Rahul said:
no height adjustment ..... but tilt adjustment is there and its really nice ......

Viewing angle is really good no matter from where u look u won't find any distortion .....

just go and chk out it and u will see the difference .....

How good is it for gaming and movies?

@Radeon.

I have a 19" vx924. forget the brand, can you tell me why you generalise 19" LCDs as bad. Would love to know.

Look M8, if you areally want true 8bit colours then even 740N or 940BW is not for you. Neither is VX924 or Sony SDM-E76D.

All these are 6bit pannels.

For a good 8bit monitor you have to spend little extra.

If you can stretch your budget to 20K you should be able to get Viewsonic VX2025WM 20.1" widescreen.

ANd almost all modern games support widescreen resolutions. And future games will certainly will.

If you absolutely cant go above 15k then 940BW will be ok.

For all those looking for a comprehensive LCD guide, check this post out. I found it very helpful.

LCD Buyers Guide

Also, Ive had some experience with tons of LCDs in different sizes from 15" which was my first LCD to 24" which I currently use. Between now and then ive used multiple 15", 17", 19" screens and a 20" and 20" wide screen.

Theres nothing wrong with a 19" LCD. In fact, pricewise its the most sensible option in India right now. If you can fit a decent 19" into your budget, theres no reason to go with a 17" monitor.

Between wide and regular its your choice, but if you watch alot of movies or TV shows on your PC, widescreen is a good option. Generally Ive preferred widescreen with the only concern in gaming where you will get letterboxed in some older games. I dont have a problem with it but in your individual case you will only know with experience. I got my first look at a 19" wide Samsung last week and it is an excellent screen.

Funky said:
Look M8, if you areally want true 8bit colours then even 740N or 940BW is not for you. Neither is VX924 or Sony SDM-E76D.

All these are 6bit pannels.

For a good 8bit monitor you have to spend little extra.

If you can stretch your budget to 20K you should be able to get Viewsonic VX2025WM 20.1" widescreen.

ANd almost all modern games support widescreen resolutions. And future games will certainly will.

If you absolutely cant go above 15k then 940BW will be ok.

Agrees...viewsonic 2025 without a blink....if u can stretch...else 940bw or viewsonic 1912w

Got a 940BW for 15.6k (all inclu.). I also wanted similar specs like you want but for the money you can't go wrong with 940BW. 20" was just out of my reach. but im very happy.

a feature rich 17" is what you're looking for but as you've seen, these come at a premium. The 770P is really good and comes with awesome specs. But 19" size is a fun in itself, especially widescreen. :D

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. One thing I came to know - can't have high expectations with just this budget! Some very good monitors are really out of my reach and I have to compromise on certain aspects.
Can't really go for 20" since, I don't think my 7600GT can drive it till the DX10 cards come. So, 17-19 is the way to go. So, I have these many choices :
- 740N (cheap and best as per Switch's review)
- 940BW (cheap and best wide screen as per Smith's review)
- Dell 1707FP (really didn't hear any thing about this from you guys)
- SDM E76D
- 1912W
Any other? 940BW seems to be very popular!

Tough to decide. :huh:

Back