Storage Solutions Conked out HDD

LaatSahab

Skilled
Have a 1TB Seagate drive which died almost a week back. It's warranty was till 2016 so can't RMA it either. Don't want data recovery as it had series and movies on it, most of which are now available on OTT platforms.Now what are my options with it?

Have a 1TB Seagate drive which died almost a week back. It's warranty was till 2016 so can't RMA it either. Don't want data recovery as it had series and movies on it, most of which are now available on OTT platforms.Now what are my options with it?
Throw away in scrap is the only option. Or donate it to the needy pupils and students who want to study hard drives in deep...dismantling and have a clear inside view..

i too have a 1tb seagate that was lying unused for long until i decided to put it in my now revived pc to work as a backup drive. however found it was having trouble reading data. it already had data on it, of which about 80% or so i was able to retrieve, until one day it finally stopped responding, with some clicking noises. opened it up & couldnt discern anything problematic. it'd spin for a few seconds, head would move, until everything comes to a stop abruptly. will make a video of it & post.

This one too made sounds like platters spinning, head moving and then head abruptly stopping and the whole process kept on going as if some infinite loop.

Took the said disk to a local "computer wala". There it was being detected but wasn't allowing his system to boot. Thought of trying data recovery from a live Linux environment. So hooked it up back into the desktop and lo and behold, Windows booted normally and it showed up in Windows too. So took a Crystal Disk scan of it and below is the screenshot. Please help me understand it's condition and prognosis.

Attachments

• crystal disk.JPG
    crystal disk.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 73
Took the said disk to a local "computer wala". There it was being detected but wasn't allowing his system to boot. Thought of trying data recovery from a live Linux environment. So hooked it up back into the desktop and lo and behold, Windows booted normally and it showed up in Windows too. So took a Crystal Disk scan of it and below is the screenshot. Please help me understand it's condition and prognosis.
Disks seems fine...

Still backup all data and do a full formatting and the freshly install new os.

Back