Connect 2 computers via internet ?!?

sri_rng

Adept
Hi folks,
I am a real noob in this subject.. Can you plz guide me how to connect 2 computers via internet.. one (me) is having a Sify BB connection and the other a BSNL one.. both are running Windows XP pro if thats of any help..

I want to control the other comp ( something like remote desktop) plz help..

www.logmein.com

Its basically a browser-based remote connection and desktop controlling webapp. You need to register on the site and download the particular logmein program on the machine which needs to be controlled. Similarly, you can download the application on both the machines (basically both the downloads are automatically assigned different identifiers so they can be authenticated properly) if you want to control them both from either machines.

As of now, the site has made available a free trial of 30 days to check out its various cool offers. And if you do not want to continue using the same (once the trial has expired or you just don't want to) you can directly go for the free one. Plus, they recently have added new better controlling features for firefox users. So if you are one, make sure to install the plugin that you will be prompted to before activating the connection.

Its real great for the novice folks who just want to directly start remote accessing in a simple manner without having to go through the process of customizing the plethora of settings for the likes of VNC and blah.

boss...dont u need public static ip's to do that...and bsnl doesnt provide one..

not a noob...but not an expert in this issue either..always wondered abt this..will b reading this thread..into networking/administration..

Logmein doesnt require us to manipulate any IP configurations as such and it runs fantastic on all 3 of my machines inter-connected via MTNL.

Alternatives like GoToMyPc and FreeVNC do exist, both of which fail to equate to Logmein.

GoToMyPc would be worth consideration, incase the sri_rng is ready to shell out enough bucks (for no apparent advantage IMHO esp when Logmein = free). And settling for something like FreeVNC would end up compromising a bit on the security part which Logmein comprehensively takes care of.

Thanx for the info..

Indepth discussion might be more helpful as even i am looking for same info.

Connection speed would matter in this right.. Now i am on Tata 2Mbps in Pune and my friend is on some cable waalah's 64 kbps internet in bbai..

So can i remote access his pc..?

^Yes you can.

When you proceed to access a host's machine you are presented with a set of menus to configure, which include various options like 'quality of display', 'resolution', 'full-screen mode' etc. You can modify those options significantly to a particularly lower range to work smoothly if you are stuck up with lower bandwidth.

I myself, @~25Kbps, can work in an extremely lucid manner with my remote machines spanned within the same BW by moderating the given options.

Well just use remote desktop :p thats what i do anyway. Simple, and it actually works without problems for me. Security wise, its not the best though

cricfan said:
how will remote desktop work without a public ip...

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

What I meant was we do not need to molest any IP settings while working with Logmein, the program handles it all. It installs a small (around 1.5 MBs) application on the specific host which helps it flexibly connect through the same channel allowing connection to the same user irrespective of any IP re-assignments/changes on that corresponding machine.

It configures all its connection settings automatically making it highly suitable for those who want a quick and secure remote connection without any tedious hassles.

+1 for Logmein... You can even copy/paste text to clipboard from the remote PC as if you are working with a single PC... I used it to do office work from home and control my home PC downloads from office :eek:hyeah:

Back